60 posts in this topic

Still pretty quiet on the fishing front last week. Maybe this week will provide better fishing.

Feel free to post your reports here, fish or no fish.

got the ol' duck boat out and hit the back bay today. had a great time.... lots of hardheads behind the airport with a drift. hooked into a huge ray back there too that thing sucked right to the bottom but i brought it up after a bit of a fight. it was about 4 feet from side to side with a little stubby tail acctually a beautiful ray to be honest. so i dehooked him and cut 'em loose. moved over the the oc side after that haze burnt off and got a few small flatties near the bridge. saw a ton of blues working right under the span but stayed away since i was by myself in a 14' jon boat. if i had a buddy to set the anchor it would have been a different situation those blues were busting the water but the tide was ripping... better to be safe then sorry under that bridge.......

looking to go again wed around noon any takers ?????????

its a cheap trip lol..... bait and 2 gallons of gas lol?????

pm me if interested

Glad to hear the croakers are in the bay. Any size to them?

no sam not at all i am used to catching 18-20 inch ones out in the tangier and pocomoke sound but these were really small 9-11 inch. but they were plentyfull and fun

Hit the sand at the north end at 7 am. The fog was something terrible, I was waiting for the music from the horror film to start.

I parked it at the top so I could yak and have someone around from the walkover to bail me out if needed. (read: witnesses). :D

The fog didn't burn off all day, reels dripping all day, chair wet, me wet, etc. Whiting, Croaker and a lonely Spot were the fare for the morning. Wind SE, changing to S at 7 kts. A sunburn day for the uneducated. Folks finally started moving onto the beach about 9:30, or maybe the fog lifted and I finally saw them. Just goofing off, I casted my Penn 309 with 65# and a big head right behing the surf break. About 20 minutes later (at 10:30) a butt-fly Ray picks it up and the fight ensued. She was a wild one, flapping and loudly slapping the surface and making hard runs. Of course this attracted about 30 people from the fog. It took two guys with skim boards to lift the front of her enough for me to get the 20/0 circle out of her jaw. (pics later). The beautiful girl was released healthy.

Fog lifted slightly (or so I thought) so I grabbed the 115L and loaded it up. I got about 100 yards out and lost sight of land but I could still hear the breakers. I continued on an easterly heading. The break noise was faint so I decided to drop at about 400 yards out and head in. Well, for everyone that knows me, you know that's not the end of the story....

Suddenly, out of the fog looms the wave that probably overturned a tanker somewhere in the world. This baby was breaking with white foam over me. Looked like white teeth to me....

I couldn't get turned into it quick enough because one of my paddle blades snapped off about 8 inches of plastic. Oh? I didn't say how it snapped? Later...... It may have to do with a wipeout, may not. :D

So anyway, this skyscraper is already on top of me and of course, hits me broadside. Need I say more? I may have broken my record for air time, felt like it, maybe it was just the intensity of the scream....

Dunno' which way I flipped but I think it may have been inside out. I resurface still wearing my AA hat and sunglasses (fog glasses). Had my hand on my head and glasses on a tether.

But uh-ooh....

I seemed to have misplaced my yak.

Has anyone seen a wayward yak?

So here I am out in the fog, no sight of land and no sight of the dadburned yak. I rose up on a wave top, er, I mean breaker, and I spot it! I managed to "swim" to it with assistance of a breaker (let's just say it "thunked" me against it) and get back in. Yep, got the hat and glasses still. Now, which way is home? Figured out I couldn't see too well with the glasses salted up so off they went.

Uh-ooh, I'm still in the break zone at the third sandbar.

Yeah yeah, out I go again.

Finally hit sand, no surf break wrecks today.

People start coming up to me telling me that they lost me in the fog. I tell 'em it wasn't nuffin' we yak dudes do it all the time.....(as I cough up salt).

So the day's tally was a myriad of small stuff and one butt-fly Ray with a wingspan of 5'. Two green fly bites, no skeeters. At least I got something with scales (hint-hint).

Left at 4:15, still foggy and rough surf, surf break about 5 feet.

Steve - One of the most entertaining reports I've read in a long time...thanks!!!!! :eusa_clap:

Also -glad to hear more confirmation that large critters are just behind the break like that.

Very good read, Steve. Congrats on the fish and the ray!

When I was fishing this past saturday you could see the big rays swimming right in the break all day. It was clearly obviuous when they got picked up by a swell and you could see their brightly colored bottom.

I fished yesterday in the fog too, from about 5-9pm. I've got a picture here somewhere. I caught a small croaker and sand perch in the first couple of minutes and that was it.

Bryan, did you catch the croaker in the surf?

Yeah, or was it a spot? It had a spot by the gills and a down turned mouth but I really can't tell these saltwater fish apart yet especially the small ones.

Best way to tell is to grab them behind the gill plate!!!!:crybaby2:

Yup, very true!

Yeah, with your palm loosely on the dorsal fin side.

YEOW!

Hmm I'll try that next time perhaps someone could show me the proper technique? :happy3:

bp,

The back of a croaker's gill plate is serrated, spot is smooth and relatively harmless...croakers will cause some damage if not kept under control.

I got to the beach today around 4 and met up with ocsnapper and was soon joined by Coop, AISURFISH, Daveh, igormothra, ffemtreed with trowpa and later on fish-aholic and his friends and family. It turned out to be a gorgeous night on the beach and we had about 15 rods out. The water was in the mid 70's and I thought we might get into some nice sharks, but only some smaller sandbars and a few kings after dark. Thanks to David and DaveH for the good eats!

Had a great time guys, hope you all get more tomorrow!

5852a511d4140_07-12-07001.JPG.71b622d41b

5852a511d8c1b_07-12-07003.JPG.f4d9023212

5852a511dd4c0_07-12-07004.JPG.6ea9f8d5a3

Sam said it was one nice day on the beach, not much to do with the fish but one great time seeing everyone..

Got home around 7:30pm Tonight. Me, Andre, Kyle, Steve and Jim managed the all nighter without any sleep....well that was until I woke Jim up delivering coffee.....We managed two small sandbars after everyone left, and as I was delivering coffee Kyle (13) grabs a rod and jim looks at me and says "does he think he has something" Then andre jumped up, and put all his weight into the rod...which did nothing but bend further...we ran down there and I was handed the rod when Andre said "its just a ton of grass" Nope, not a chance...according to Steve's timestamps on his photos a 40 minute battle followed me getting the rod. Nice big ray of one sort or another. I managed to force him up from the bottom 2 times before I finally snapped my 30# main line trying to get him up a 3rd time. I'm sure steve will post pictures when he gets home. We managed 3 kings and about a 4' ray later on in the day. Steve and Jim were tearing up the Snapper Blues with Finger Mullet. I'll get the pictures I have tomorrow when I'm finally awake :)

It was great seeing everyone again, thanks for joining me out there (even though I showed up WAY late thanks to the traffic gods) I had a blast, and I've already been told it was a night that Kyle, Andre, Stephan, Sophie and Vincent won't soon forget......

Awesome reports guys....can't wait to hit the sand for a whole week!!!

Starts today! We just got back from vegas and leave at 1pm for Bethany.

Hopefully I can add some interesting reports like last time!!

ben

just giving my 2 cents on the excursion. It was a great day of fishing for everyone. We fished for about 20 hours straight with about 10 minutes of sleep while the coffee was brewing. As for that coffee, all I gotta say is fishaholic makes some nuclear strong coffee. I had about 1/2 cup before that ray disturbed us and it kept me awake for the rest of the day.

It was trowpa tearing up those blues, I couldn't get one hooked to save my life. Between trowpa and I we went through 2 packs of finger mullet and everyone came back bit in half but we only hooked like 4 of them, actually Trowpa hooked 4 of them. They seemed to be all over the surf, they where even breaking in the water about 50 yards from the beach. Both Trowpa and I tosed lures at them but didn't get any takers.

It was great seeing everyone on the beach and having a good time, even if we only caught a couple small sharks, some kings and blues.All sharks where caught on yakked out baits! nothing on casted baits.

PS-- I think I had Deet poisoning by the end of the day. The flies where coming in pretty thick in the morning and late afternoon. I went through a whole can of 40% Deet bug spray. So if you are going out there DON'T forget the bug spray. I would also advise bringing a pair of pants to wear when the bugs get real thick with a wind change.