21 posts in this topic

:help:Good day to all!

I am going to buy a new reel. Which reel would you recommend? Baitcast? Spinning? Conventional?:confused1:

I have one spinning was thinking baitcast?

Avert? Penn? Pros and Cons of each type?

Best place to purchase? Service ? Price?

Thanks for all your information.AIDR:coffee2:

I personally like the Penn mag 525. It just fits my hands better than the Avet sx, the 525 a little easier to tame and get used to.

I do LOVE the lever drag on the Avet sx thought I wish I could combine the two reels to make one.

the best place (in my opinion) to buy stuff online is http://www.randysbaitshack.com/ His service is second to none.

Ok - my take on things...

Spinning vs Conventional: Its like automatic versus manual transmission. Auto(Spinning) is easier to learn, almost impossible to make the car stall , etc- but holds you back in the performance area. Manual (conventional) takes a bit to learn, you have a high risk of stalling the engine (backlash, blowup, breakofff) but you have a greater potential for performance (distance) and they are just plain more fun to use....just as pure sports car enthusiasts prefer manual transmission, the pure casting enthusiasts usually prefer conventional.

Reel suggestions:

Spinning - Shimano Baitrunner - I've owned all 3 sizes LOVE the 4500 and 6500 for the surf.

Conventional - I've just started using conventional and own a knobby magged Avet Sx - but agree with Jim, the 525 Mag has the best reputation for "easy to tame". Also take a look at the Diawa Sealine X (30sha). Look at them all, put them in your hands and see which one "speaks" to you... The Diawa and Penn having the best reputation for being "user friendly"

Best place to purchase? Without a doubt Randy's Bait Shack is great for online purchases - I'd either support your local bait shop or go online w/ Randysbaitshack.com.

Thank you for the input.

Looks like Penn 525 MAG $149.00 (baitcast)

Or

Daiwa sealine -X SHA $109.00 (conventioinal reel)

Do not know why websites call one baitcast or one conventional they look the same?

Do any local stores give a dicount if you belong to Atlantic Anglers?

Thanks again any other opinions are always welcome.

AIDR

525 mag or the diawa...but as far as quality, IMO the avet, but even with the knob, a tough one to start out with.

I'm with everyone else:

Conventional: 525 Mag or Diawa 20/30 SHA

Spinning: Shimano Baitrunner

if your looking for a good local store, try either harbor tackle or alltackle. good service from both

Well. it looks like a consenus of opinion.

1) Penn 525 MAG or

2) Diawa X SHA

Then once I learn the Penn AND actually catch fish I can move up to the Avet Sx with a new pole and hand down the old reel and rod to one of the 4 kids.

Thanks again, looks like I going to have to make a ride to Alltackle and Harbor Tackle.

I was hoping they would run specials for Atlantic Anglers:idea:

AIDR

The Penn 525 would be my vote between the two. But go to a tackle shop and hold both of them, put them on a rod in the store see how they feel.

What type/test line for the Penn 525? Rod?

Thanks!

:icon_rr:

I would start out with a Tica 11-12' and 17lb suffix Tritanium.

What are you planning on using this gear for? If you are going to be surf fishing this time of the year, I would recommend the Daiwa. I have both and it just feels better knowing I have more line in case a shark or a big old red takes off.

the reason I said the 525 was because its a lot easier to adjust while you are still learning how to use the reel. Its super easy to very slighty move the spool tension knobby, or even better slide the mags forward or backwards to slow down or speed up the reel.

I don't think its practical to be changeing or adjusting brakes in the Daiwa while on the sand. So its setup the reel at home, take it out to the surf and then take it back home and do some adjustments. Then take repeat until its setup for you.

You can experiment a little more easily with the 525.

As for getting spooled, well yeah that can happen. If you are really worried about it put 150 yards of 30lb braid on the reel first and then fill it up with 17 suffix tri. I plan on doing that with my current reels as soon as I get some power pro to put on them.

:hello: I was planning on putting the new reel on my one year old pole; it is a Shakespeare Prius 12' Would that be good match?:confused1:

Then taking the almost new spinning reel and put it on a older pole for the oldest kid to learn on.

Good point on string, If I go with 17 lb Suffix Tritanium which color is best?

Chartreuse, Orange, or Gold?:book1:

Ideas on shock leader?:confused3:

I try new tackle almost ever time I go out, to get any bites. :fish:

I have never sharked fish and the first time I get a big hit I will probably fall out.

Thanks again, you input is priceless for newbie, some of the cobwebs are clearing I think or :eusa_wall: or is it my head.

AIDR, sorry long winded

I have both the 525 mag and the daiwa 20. Ive tried both on my 12 ft. tica, seem to get about 15- 20 yds. more from the penn .I have got a adjustable mag kit for daiwa but havent install yet.the penn is about 25 dollars cheaper than daiwa if your planning on installing one ,unless you could do it yourself. So my vote would for the penn 525 mag.if over 2 AI and would like try them both i be happy ,to let you try each one.

Well according to Alltackle web site says 525mag BO.

Gan.M. where I have the 10% off at says it is out of stock also.

I would like to have it for this weekend to break it in.

I will go a hunting Thursday, if I can not find the Penn then I will buy the Diawa.

So if you would be so kind, any last suggestions, hints or comments to any of the other questions I have before I pull the trigger. :book1: I be determined to get good equipment with out selling one of the kids and catch fish. I just love it:happy8: when they ask me every week end "When are you going to catch fish?"

AIDR

Give ake marine a call. He did have them in stock, not sure now.

Well, if you have a Penn 525Mag hold onto it like GOLD!!!

They are on back order from Penn and do not know if and when they are going to fill the orders.

I have tried Alltackle, Harbor Tackle, Gander Mountain.

B and R has the 535 no mag.

But Ake does have it, 149.99:happy10:

But by the time I get off work they are going to be closed.:clock: So I might have to buy the Diawa:icon_scratch:

I was also advised that Suffix Tritanium line certain colors is slowly being discontined.

I feel like I am in a Deer stand, but the buck will come.

I think.

Well, if you have a Penn 525Mag hold onto it like GOLD!!!

They are on back order from Penn and do not know if and when they are going to fill the orders.

I have tried Alltackle, Harbor Tackle, Gander Mountain.

B and R has the 535 no mag.

But Ake does have it, 149.99:happy10:

But by the time I get off work they are going to be closed.:clock: So I might have to buy the Diawa:icon_scratch:

I was also advised that Suffix Tritanium line certain colors is slowly being discontined.

I feel like I am in a Deer stand, but the buck will come.

I think.

ask em to hold it and pick it up in the am...worth the wait for your first conv.

Randys Bait and tackle shop just had the 525's for 127 bucks. He got a double shipment in and wanted to get rid of them since he has a small store. He said I got the last one out of that shipment, but my point is they are shipping orders and don't seem to be too back logged since he got a double shipment in like 4 days after he placed his order.

He did mention something about Penn going to an Online ordering system for distributes, maybe thats whats causing the back up.