3 posts in this topic

Hit Ocean View Pier (OVP) this morning with Bucket. Arrived at the end of the pier and the usual OVP Crew was there hard at it for Mr. Brown Suit. Before we got there, they said one was hooked and brought to the side of pier, but it manged to spit the hook right at the end (35-40# class fish estimated).:angry9:

I set out an eel on a float while Bucket dunked an eel short. Bucket then sent out an eel long and I used some frsh bunker and sent it long. Then the dog days of summer :grommit::grommit:sat in as we played the waiting game. Not much happened the first hour then one of the others landed a cownose ray which were freaking everywhere. Man has the Bay started to become infestated with cownose rays. It really is getting ridiculous.

Another hour goes by and nothing but some schools of menhaden going by from time to time, with the hundreds of Cownose swimming all around. I was amazed that the cownose were staying away from all the bait in the water with the chumslick going clear to the HRBT.

Then another hook up from another fisherman out there, and we were all unsure what it was. We were still unsure till it surface and it was a mother and I mean mother of a southern ray. Thing was a freaking car hood size and had a baby (pup) cobia swimming right on top of it. Mr. Ray put on a good show, but finall came to the pier, gaffed and released.

The sun kept bearing down on us and not much else happening. Another clicker goes off and another is hooked up. Probably a ray again, but nope this time it was a freaking huge sea turtle. Hate to see that happens, but what can you do??? The turtle finally got close enough to the pier and the good news was he was not hooked in the mouth, but was actually snagged in the side by the stinger hook and also hooked with the circle hook near the underside of his shell. We he got close I snapped a few pics before they were able to cut the line off as close as they could before he got wrapped up in it.

Turtle swam off a little pissed off, but looked like he should be ok and hopefully the hooks rust out quickly.

We packed up and headed out a touch after 4pm and called it a day.

Here's a few pics of the sea turtle:

100_2146-1.jpg

100_2150-1.jpg

100_2152-1.jpg

Wow. I'm sure he'll be alright. I bet I know where all those cownose rays are headed....:confused3:

Wow. I'm sure he'll be alright. I bet I know where all those cownose rays are headed....:confused3:

You did it Sam now that's all you will see for a wail.