11 posts in this topic

I talked about this rig on another thread. I have a 10/0 big eye gamakatsu circle hook to 4" of #15 malin wire to a 150lb swivel (haywired on both ends). Then I go with about 2ft of malin between 2 swivels again haywired. On that 2' section I have my fish finder rig with 2 sets of beads on the ends, one will do but I put 2 for when they break apart from hitting the haywires.

What this rig should accomplish is 2-1/2 feet of bite leader without compromise in distance casting. The reason for going with the swivel and a 4" leader is to make the rig easier for the shark to pickup, as we know wire is very rigid and I think this will help in getting less drops. The FF will have 2' to slide before catching, hopefully that's long enough, only time will tell but you can't catch what you can't reach! If you are so inclined an albright knot can be tied directly to malin wire which will allow the FF to slide the length of the shock leader.

DSCF0129.jpg.cda9121343e2ad234dc030c3c2b

DSCF0131.jpg.9f66da4f95de9aa90f12f5c386a

DSCF0130.jpg.d24339febcbdac4c9514dc90491

Let us know how it works this weekend - i'm shortening up a few of my rigs since i couldn't cast them last time.....

I know it will cast well, not sure on the catchin' though!

i am going to make a few rigs tomorow during the day. I am going to use crimps though since I am not good at the haywire and I only have 240lb steel leader, its kinda tough to twist.

I'll be buying some small diameter wire to learn the haywire twist on when I get to the tackle shop again.

That's done with number 15 258# by hand, you just have to do it...then it will be no problem after a couple rigs. Don't do a bunch at once though, I learned that the hard way, it is tough on your fingers.

I found the secret is to twist it fast once it gets started on your final wrap, the wire gets very hot and gives a good tight wrap...take your time and it doesn't go as well.

Your weight is just on the steel leader, from the looks it appears to be single strand...doesn't the metal ring of the weight kink the leader? Would it work out better if you used a fish-finder slide on it instead?

The FF for the weight is a 100# swivel split ringed to the weight. Works fine on shock leaders, if it were lighter wire I would be concerned with it bending the wire but with the #15 it should be fine. I break the plastic ones...the long rangers too...they wouldn't last long on wire.

Hi Ben I used your rig today and it casted VERY well. I was lunking whole spot with a 15/0 hook out there a good ways.

I pretty much matched your rig except for the beads because my Gf threw all my beads away because she read they kill fish. I used crimps also until I learn to master the haywire twist.

Caught a nice size butterfly ray on the rig, but the toothy decided he only wanted a half of spot that had my regular fishfinder setup.

Thanks for the info, I am going to be making more of these rigs to use in the future and i am going to get some beads and hide them from my GF, LOL.

Hit the craft store for the beads, hundreds of 'em in various colors for a couple-few bucks.

I have to agree Jim, it held up well, no kinking issues and a nice compact load going out even with a head. Everything was still hooked right where it was supposed to be and the rig held up on those huge rays we tangled with. I'm making more this week, I dig em.

Beads can be an issue for other rigs if you get a breakoff, on this rig they make no difference other then to protect the FF, the shark or ray will have to carry the weight until the hook rusts out if you do break off.