7 posts in this topic

Gentlemen ( & Ladies if you are there),

We( the family and me) are contemplating a day trip down for Saturday. Considering that this week seems to be a holiday for the entire week, what is the general consensous on whether there will be a waiting line to get on AI?? OR NOT?? We got skunked on the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend getting on, so I am thinking this weekend will be the same since it is still unofficially the holiday weekend.

If you have a minute , I would appreciate your thoughts. The alternate plan is to wait and come down one of the next 2 weekends.

Thanks for the thoughts!!

I plan to be out this weekend and I will be on the beach early just in case.

I think we should be ok because of the holiday being in the middle of the week.

The big problem on Memorial day was the huge camper party that blocked access to the rest of us. There was NO-ONE on the beach that weekend, it was all campers parked in the bullpen having a big party so of course NONE of them where coming off. I doubt there will be such a party on a normal 2 day weekend.

It could be a mess, I plan to hit the sand in the dark of the morning, usually no counting then even if they are full.

Any one know how far down it is open? Last year around the 4th the plovers had the last 8 miles.

The beach should be open a good ways passed the 'bullpen" as of what I have heard. I would also like to reply to the individual before you. I was camping on Assateague Island on Memorial weekend with my wife and son. I can understand your frustration of having to wait in line during Saturday and Sunday, but please don't use the reason of there was a "camper party in the bullpen" to justify it. We enjoy the island the same way that you do. We enjoy spending time with our families and friends and actually have groups that we camp and travel with. We don't just go down to Assateague Island and park in the bullpen all weekend (although I didn't have much choice until my new alternator which burnt up going down the beach was delivered to me last weekend, thank god for great friends) but we enjoy pulling out on the beach, fishing, playing horseshoes, making sandcastles and playing dumptrucks in my case. I hope that you also know and are a member of AMSA we need all the voices and support that we can get. We are working very closely with the park service to make sure that we all can still enjoy this for years to come. If you have to sit in line again on a weekend, please don't bash us but come out and support keeping the beach available to all of us. RVing is our hobby whether it be at Assateague Island or CI, or even HI another one of my favorite places it is all about family time, being with friends, a beautiful view and maybe if your lucky a bite every once in a while.

Thank you

Scott Turner

AMSA#66

I was not frustrated with the campers themselves. If I had a camper I would be out there doing the same thing. My frustration is with the park rules that have no accommodations for such events. Like perhaps a simple rule that people in the bull pen don't count towards the 145 or whatever number they pulled out of the behinds is.

This is what I am talking about guys, the park service is working on their GMP ( general management plan) which sets all the rules and regs for each individual park. I am sure that you have heard all about Hatteras Island and the mess that has gone on down there and seems to still continue. Luckily we seem to have a good group of people at Assateague Island being led by Scott Bentley that seem to have everybody and their interest in mind. This is exactly why I said that you guys have got to join AMSA and make your voice heard. EVERYTHING that goes on with this island is in these GMPs including the number of vehicles on the beach, and we can always use the manpower. Again we are not chasing the park service, Scott and his people have been very accomodating, but if we no not of your concern then we can not voice it. Anyone of you can contact me at skturner214@comcast.net and I will be glad to answer your questions, if I dont know the answer then I will get it to you. There are so many of us that enjoy this island that we all need to work together to make sure that it is accomodating to all.

Scott Turner

AMSA #66

During the peak of today it sounds like there was about 1-2 hour wait to get on.

There as no line when I left.