7 posts in this topic

The weather is beautiful, the scenery is phenomenal and the fish are out there be had.

Those that kayak seem to glide into a wonder world of edgy fishing that prompts the rest of us to consider. Being a little on the cautious side, the possibility of being "caught with bait" by a shark is more than a little intimidating, or how about those brave souls that head out through the surf much like the days of old when men took their pound boats through the surf?

Somehow, the smell of the salty air, the sound of the pounding waves and the anticipation of the line screaming through the reel stuffed into a sand spike next to my beach chair is a little more my speed.

I have to admit I do admire and pretend a little that it could be me braving the unknown... until I can no longer restrain my cautious nature from shaking me back to the reality that all of mankind can't be that adventuresome... some of us have to be happy and content just watching them.:confused1:

sam_kayak.jpg.73aff226171362bd24b5dc015a

Great post! There is always the creek or the back bays which can be just as rewarding.

I'm feeling homesick now.....

My favorite is being out there at night in gentle seas.

Seeing the plankton (or whatever it is) glow green, swirling around my paddle as I gently ease through the dark waters. Listening to the silence and the gentle gurgle of water under the yak as I glide along.

Hearing the occasional flip-flop of a small creature on the surface, is it feeding on the plankton? Is something larger pursuing it? I am left to wonder and listen, as I am a visitor in their world now.

As I ease along, not wanting to head in, I am lulled by the gentle waters tapping against my yak, the gentle swells easing me up and around. I rest the paddle across my thighs and sit back. I gaze at the bright stars in the night as the soothing warm breeze caresses my face. I close my eyes and lift my face to the night, feeling every drop of mist, hearing every sound, embracing every pulse of the waters beneath me.

Seeing a distant fire on the beach, my guiding light back to terra firma. I know I must leave this place of beauty and bountiful delights. I turn toward the light and head in. I know not what is in front of me, as I see only the blackness that surrounds me.

Further I paddle and the fire grows larger in my gaze.

I can now barely hear the breakers on the sand. Remembering which way the tide is running, I angle my yak for the approach. The sounds of the crashing surf are all around me now. I am in the chute, the waves begin to lift and push me toward the beach.

I make my final turn, lay back and ride the breaker onto the beach.

It shall not be long my friend, before I return to your welcoming warm waters. All the life in the waters will be there to welcome me back and ease me into a beautiful, relaxed state of mind.....

source is ME!

Sign me up!! I have two regular yaks. I've been trying to convince wifey to let me get a sit on top. Other than taking bait out, how have you all done fishing from the yak? Is it more productive than the shore?

Sign me up!!

(snicker-snicker, got'cha!)

I make my final turn, lay back and ride the breaker onto the beach.

source is ME!

I like your other version when you @$$ over tincups like everyone else.

I'm ready for a ride in the washing machine myself...I'll be charging the breakers in the sunrise!

Sign me up!! I have two regular yaks. I've been trying to convince wifey to let me get a sit on top. Other than taking bait out, how have you all done fishing from the yak? Is it more productive than the shore?

I do well in the bay and backwater but have only briefly tried trolling outside the bar. It is much more difficult then the backwater and will wear you out quickly. I'm a surf rat now, there is no other fishing I'd rather be doing.

I think you can do well if you are so inclined. Best case is to go with a buddy, drop a truck down current 8-10 miles and come back up with the other vehicle and launch...paddle/drift down and drive back. Not sure how the NPS will be with a vehicle left unattended though.