75 posts in this topic

Things still pretty quiet. Here is hoping this coming week will bring a little more activity for both the smaller size fish with a few big critters in the mix.

Feel free to post your reports, fish or no fish.

Hit AI with Javier this eve, What a nice evening, had a lot of quick hits from blues and caught a butterfly ray around 11 pm, other than that no action at all, beach was crowded when we arrived and bullpen was packed when we left so if anyone is planning to go out tomorrow wish you the best of luck and better get an early start.

Hey guys, I'm new to the site, but I have been reading for about a month. I just start surf fishing a couple months ago, but the bug has bit me pretty hard. (been from South Carolina up to Jersey surf fishing now. This was much more challenging that small mouth fishing up in PA. Assateague is the closest, and I have a beach pass for my jeep. In the last couple weeks I got some kingfish, flounder and gd skates...(which, although suck, its nice to pull something in sometimes.) point being, forgive me for the questions your going to see from me, the novice new guy.

I haven't hooked up with any blues or stripers. So I am doing some all nighters, fishing hard non stop. For most of what I read in books (sounds bad, but sometimes thats how you have to learn if you have no mentor that type of fishing) that stripers this time a year might not be there, but I'll throw out some eels and still try. One book states its harder not too catch bluefish than it is to caught em', that guy's an ass, only cause i haven't hooked up yet. Anyway, my fiance wants to come, and thats actually cool with me cause she digs it, even had her jiggin for flounder a couple weeks ago, and she wants to know, if I head out all night, she knows we can make a small fire out at assateague, but she wants to put up a small tent for her to sleep while i fish at the wee hours. As long as i am "actively fishing", can she put up a small 2 man tent on the beach? Thanks all.

Welcome to our humble abode!

Yes, you may have a fire on the beach. It doesn't have to be small either. Just watch that it doesn't melt anything nearby. The regs state it must be below the high tide mark. (you have read the A.I. regs, right?). As for the tent, it reads no camping. I am not sure if that means that the significant other cannot hide from the bugs during the night and sleep while you fish. To be safe, you could get her a lounge chair that she would feel comfortable sleeping in. It would keep her above a "rouge" wave that might come in. As for Skates, don't overlook the fact that they are very tasty if large enough. Do a search on the word "recipe".

Above all, have fun, be safe and follow the regs.

Welcome to the site. It looks like you have been bitten by the fishing bug! Congrats on a great hobby choice.

As far as stripers, I don't think you're going to catch any from the surf until the fall. They like colder water and may be found in the deeper holes in the inlet. If you drift live eels or spot, you may get lucky in that department.

Bluefish are pretty much gone unless you want snapper size. You can also get them at night tossing jigs or spec rigs at the inlet.

You can not have a tent on Assateague Island (in the ORV zone) at night. I've seen them (and used them) during the day but they will make you take them down at night. They do have designated areas where you can use camping equipment, but it isn't within fishing distance. Your best bet would be a nice comfy beach chair and some sweats.

Good luck and don't forget to let us know how you do!

Your best bet would be a nice comfy beach chair and some sweats.

Or a Hammock in the back of a certain somebodys pickup truck!

thanks guys, will do. I have check on the regs. I think it's best if she just sleeps in the Jeep with the seats down. thanks for the advice and i let you know how we do.

fished allday today,nothin biting except the flies.drove me off the beach at about 430

Went out Friday AM and fished all afternoon until 5pm then the wind shifted from the island to the beach and the flies hit BAD so I packed up and headed for home. Was gonig to stay and fish this evening but NO way they were awful hope you all have better luck tomorrow. By the way not one bite. Fish that is blenty of flies bitting though. :icon_pale:

Fished today from around 9:00am till 6:00pm and it was a pretty good day out there except for the flies.

The summer fish have arrived. I was able to catch spot at will today using a hi-lo rig with fishbite bloodworms. Also a two small croaker mixed in with the spot. No kingfish :(

Now for the good stuff, I was showing Grossy my Avet and both my 12 ft tica rods start dancing at the same time. So we each grabbed on and started hauling in. I ended up with a pretty big butterfly ray but my other rod that grossy grabbed had a medium size shark with teeth on it. I am pretty sure it was a sandbar but for all I know it could have been a great white. So it was cool to at least catching something today! Grossy ended up with two small blues using finger mullet.

I did hook into another HUGE butterfly ray and when my GF grabbed the shock leader to drag him on the beach he twisted all up in it and somehow cut the line in half. He was definatly a LOT larger than the one I beached earlier in the day.

The food of the day was the fresh spot I was catching and using for bait. The rays where hitting the WHOLE spot and the sharky hit the spot that was cut in half. All baits where casted, no yak for me yet. I used Charkbaits shark rig with the two pieces of wire like he described in the other thread and it caught the Ray. The shark hit on the old normal fishfinder setup. No wire whatsoever on that, but we still beached him.

All the bunker I had out didn't get touched (except crabs).

They are here! go get them!

Jul07_0009.jpg.8d5dbb684d1498e4d81cc0bfc

Jul07_0012.jpg.ae253fb4cd536dbb08d5b97f1

Jul07_0014.jpg.1644ba7cc279ca1fd59f5d1dd

My Son Tues.....

5852a510e129f_AIweekof070307to070707021.

5852a510e6f25_AIweekof070307to070707025.

Major wind Wed/Thurs...according to a very reliable source parked near me in the BP it hit 40mph Wed night.....and it felt like it trust me.....

Me with a ray on Friday (flipping it with the blunt end of the gaff to remove the hook, I'm no good at doing it 'blind', it was released healthy)....man them things are fun......

5852a510eb449_AIweekof070307to070707123e

Bug's were pretty bad today so we hit the road a few hrs early.....a lot of traffic so I'm glad I drove it early rather than fish all day and do it......

Was a good time over all.....again you guys/girls that live down there are lucky....it's such a special place........

Jim - nice you got some action finally! Can't wait for next weekend!

Mr. Mom - very nice as well - things are looking up!

Looks like the family had a great time!

Nice to hear the Spot are in, there's my fresh bait.

Did you live-line the whole one?

Nice Ray too!

I tried live lining one, but it came off the hook during the cast so I just hooked it through the head like a bunker.

going to experiment more with live lining next time I am out.

That was the first fish so we let em go....

But the ray did come on half a snapper.....the 'good' half.....

That is one big butterfly ray! Quite an accomplishment considering the size. Those things can suck to the bottom and really wear you out.

I took my nephew out for a few hours tonight. He caught spot and after dark as many hake as you could handle! Some times two at a time. He had one hit that bent his rod over and then broke the line. I told him it was probably a big drum and he got aggravated.:icon_tongue:

I had just loosened the drag on his reel and he tightened it back up while reeling in line. Then I explained to him that it was probably a Sandtiger shark swimming through his line. He felt a little better.

All in all a good night even though no pullage for me. Not sure whats up with the sharks again this summer but I hope it makes a turn for the better soon.

I told him it was probably a big drum and he got aggravated.:icon_tongue:

You're cruel!

Thanks for the report, looks like it was one nice day on the sand.

That is one big butterfly ray! Quite an accomplishment considering the size. Those things can suck to the bottom and really wear you out.

I took my nephew out for a few hours tonight. He caught spot and after dark as many hake as you could handle! Some times two at a time. He had one hit that bent his rod over and then broke the line. I told him it was probably a big drum and he got aggravated.:icon_tongue:

I had just loosened the drag on his reel and he tightened it back up while reeling in line. Then I explained to him that it was probably a Sandtiger shark swimming through his line. He felt a little better.

All in all a good night even though no pullage for me. Not sure whats up with the sharks again this summer but I hope it makes a turn for the better soon.

I'll tell you (not that you don't know, because most of you guys have a lot more experience than me out there) they can really test your knots and tackle....I was beat after working him/her in.....quite a few good runs as well as holding steady on me......

We also saw a few small sharks just beyond the break during the day Friday....and I bumped something soft but solid when showing my kids how to (excuse for me to go out there ;) booggie board ......creeped me out pretty good, infact the lessons ended after feeling that.:icon_pale:........

Good stuff with the nephew :icon_thumright:

and I bumped something soft but solid when showing my kids how to (excuse for me to go out there ;) booggie board ......creeped me out pretty good, infact the lessons ended after feeling that.

well as long as it didn't leave a 'sandpaper burn ' on your leg ..........:eusa_shifty:

glad to see ya finally made it to the beach :eusa_dance:

Hey All,

Went out Friday night to Saturday noonish... (till the flies drove me off, that, and i fished for 12 hours straight with no sleep overnight) Caught small shark and snapper blue. nothing big, but nothing hit till about an hour before sunrise. For those who might recognize I am the new guy, and I hadn't caught a blue before, so my 13 incher was enough to make me happy. (Ecstatic actually) I did have some spot of trouble though; I pulled in the blue, and was taking the hook out when i remember a brown blur going by. I didn't pay much attention as i was so stoked over my catch. I was thinking i have to get this fish off and get my line back out there as hopefully there was a school. Then i heard my line scream, and nearly **** my pants. Turns out that brown blur was a huge brown sea gull that flew through one of my lines and was tangled up 100 ft down the beach. No hooks in him, just the line. I was not pleased! I was going to do the t-shirt over his head and untangle him thing, but I didn't want to traumatize him any more. I cut my line and he took off. Not an experience I want to repeat.

Good job on the first bluefish. Yeah, the old seagull has got me out of my chair a few times... As a matter of fact, I've had a pelican get caught up in my line. Let me tell you something, I'd rather release a sandbar shark any day.

I've gotten a few seagulls in my lines and they've been suprisingly cooperative as I untangle them - almost like they've done this before (probably have).

I have to tell you though - you haven't LIVED until you've caught a DEAD seagull :icon_tongue:

5852a511000e5_IMGP0489(Medium).JPG.43306

I've gotten a few seagulls in my lines and they've been suprisingly cooperative as I untangle them - almost like they've done this before (probably have).

I have to tell you though - you haven't LIVED until you've caught a DEAD seagull :icon_tongue:

A little BBQ sauce, a good side salad... Not too bad!

Man what a beautiful day on the beach. We had to wait for about an hour and a half to get on, but it was worth the wait!!

Managed to pull in another ray about the same size as Jim's first one after Jim and Amanda departed for the day. ( Of course, the digital camera was at home)

The family thoroughly enjoyed the day as well. My boys were liking those big old dogs for sure.

Thanks for the hospitality Jim! Now I want one of those Avet reels, but I think I need to get the left hand retreive model.

See you at the summer fling !!