19 posts in this topic

Ok - i've had my beloved Avet SX for a few weeks now, but didn't have a proper rod to put it on - was forced to relegate it to panfish duty on a 7ft ugly stick spinning rod....while i waited for my 1569 to arrive...It was nice, but I still wasn't too sure about the switch to conventional.....

Well, I chanced upon a deal to get a new Ocean Master Heavy for $80 and couldn't say no....It arrived this afternoon.

I unpacked it and promptly went out to the practice field with the OM Heavy, Avet, and an 8oz frog tongue in a tennis ball.

WOW! :D :D :D :D

What a difference a real surf rod will make....I now know what all the fuss is about "once you go conventional you'll never go back"....just feels so nice...

I love the reel...love the rod... and absolutely cannot wait for the 1569 to arrive (although i'll have to beg my wife for a second avet then...)

I should have made the switch long ago...

Did you end up cutting anything off of the 1569 or leave it at the full 13'?

Now you won't buy anything but custom rods now!:icon_tongue:

Dixie - well, its not cut YET (still waiting for the blank to arrive)

However - yes, the plan is to cut 6 inches from the butt.

As for nothing but custom rods, i'm liking that OM now - can't wait to see the difference w/ the custom....I think i'm an addiction waiting to happen....:help:

I am glad to talked you into that Ocean Master Rod!

I bet you can't wait to get out on the water now.

Yep Jim - thanks for the heads up on the deal.

less than 2 weeks now...tick tick tick....

Can't wait to see it all Steve.....I still have visions of your running cast from the first spring fling!!!!!!!!! Should be a great night!!!!! Probably gonna put me and my casting to shame :)

Nope Jeff -I'm still a casting spectacle i'm sure, but getting better...slowly. Hopefully you and Jim can give me some pointers on the 12th....or maybe just take cover behind the truck and laugh!) :eusa_shifty:

Nope Jeff -I'm still a casting spectacle i'm sure, but getting better...slowly. Hopefully you and Jim can give me some pointers on the 12th....or maybe just take cover behind the truck and laugh!) :eusa_shifty:

We will just give you some proper motivation! Heres the deal if you cast over our lines you have to yak the bait out with the big sharks all night long!

Guess i'll be setting up 300 yards down the beach then - you're NOT getting me yakking in this lifetime....I'm with Randy on that one!

So did you blow that Avet up yet? You need to start laying into those casts now that you got a proper rod to cast on. You know that the reel isn't broken in unless it has a good blowup!

So did you blow that Avet up yet? You need to start laying into those casts now that you got a proper rod to cast on. You know that the reel isn't broken in unless it has a good blowup!

Don't want to jinx myself, but so far so good - give me time though I'm sure I'll have some legendary disasters.....

just wait...the switch to the 1569 will be good for at least 2 while you try to adjust to it.

just wait...the switch to the 1569 will be good for at least 2 while you try to adjust to it.

I've got a couple spools of mono in my bag for just that purpose....

In my best Tim Allen impression ..."MORE POWER...arg arg arg"

Just a post to report that after today's practice session I now have a pic on my phone -worthy to compete with Ben's avatar :icon_pale: Perhaps I'll add it once i get it off my phone...

yes, got my first blow up....i had just beat my best cast by 10 yards, and decided to get greedy - backed off on the mag, and put more power into it - zip...snap....game over. Re-spooling tonight....

welcome to the club...I had a nice on Saturday myself after backing off the mag a bit too much. Caught my rig back on the next cast!

Its about time you gave that reel a good heave! Keep on heaving and the blowups will become less and less frequent.

If you stop heaving you might not blow it up anymore, but you will never improve either.

the biggest lesson I learned in my conventional casting was don't be afraid of the reel. Once I got the gall to really lay into some casts it was all good from there (except a few blowups)

With conventionals the best thing I have found is to toss the heck out of them, when I don't put a lot in to it is when I see more fluff and blow ups. So whip it as hard as you can and in time you will be loving life...