12 posts in this topic

Ok, I know this topic has been addressed before, however I'm about to put a different spin on things here. What about a White Water Canoe, with airbags? These canoes are made for class III+. The airbags give them an insane amount of extra flotation. The Specific canoe I'm thinking about is mohawk probe 12. I could link you the specs...but I figure you all kinda get the idea....I can tell you, if I'm gonna try it....my first run out won't be in the dark LOL

Give it a shot, Jeff. :eusa_shifty:

Make sure you wear a survival suit! Sounds like your going to need it!

Man, no faith!!!!! These canoes are designed to take on water in large rapids and still get you through to the other end!!!!! I'm thinking I shouldn't need a survival suit :) I will however defenitely be needing a good life vest :)

I'll hook my sharking rig to your life vest so I can reel you in.

are they self bailing? Once you take on water it's gonna be near impossible to paddle that barge. In a river all you need to do is steer it once it fills up a little. In the surf it's going to fill up A LOT.

right, thought about that :) Manual Bilge :) takes about 1 min to pump out 6" of water.....

Manual bilge? While you are looking down the throat of a breaker?

Let me know when you are going, I'll post the pics.

Are you trying to beat my record of how much air you get? :D

Seriously, give 'er a whirl....

that's the other part, I've been thinking about the way out...what about the way in?

As far as the bilge, my SOT kayak which is self bailing doesn't empty fast enough for my taste, I can't imagine a canoe. Once you take the first one over the bow and fill her up a little you'll be stuck in the break because of the weight.

I will be out there Thur night 7/12. I'm hoping to get out there with a little light left so I can try it non blind :) and manual bilge in the breakers??? not a chance I'll paddle that beast beyond them before I pump it out. Should be interesting, will have Trowpa and a buddy of mine there with me taking pictures I'm sure...maybe I'll even bring my video camera :) Oh great.....I just checked the moon phase!!!!! No light for me out there that night......the new moon is the night of the 14th :( Should be interesting...but comon out steve!!!! Could use you and your yak if the whole canoe option fails!!!!

at least there will be witnesses!

good luck

seriously

I will make sure I have my camera as well.

We will have lots of pictures!