7 posts in this topic

Hey guys...figured I should ask the experts on this one before I spend the money on the rigging equipment! Well...How should I rig up for smaller-medium sized sharks on one OM Heaver spinning rod and a Daiwa medium-heavy spinning rod. The reel on the OM has about 450 yards of 15lb ande line and my other reel has about 220-245 yards of 30lbs braid. Any tips or pictures would help greatly!!!!!

Also I will be posting in the Join Me forum for the time that I am going to be down there and hopefully get together with some of you and hopefully stop in at Snappers for dinner!

You'll want about 5 feet of steel leader, try for some Malin #10 hard wire, swivel it to a heavy mono shock leader, maybe 5 feet of 80#. Put a fishfinder rig with an 8 oz pyramid sinker.

Top the wire with a 12/0 to 16/0 circle hook. Use a Bunker head or part of the body. Toss it as far as you can, at night the toothies are in real close, even right behind the surf break.

I am very inexperienced with the shark thing, but for a casting set-up (as opposed to yakking) I start with a 14/0 or 15/0 circle hook, Then I put about 8 to 10 inches of malin hard wire. I next use about 4ft of .8 weedeater line. I use crimps pretty much all around they seem to work good.

So I have <hook> ---malin wire---2/0 Swivel --- Weed Eater line -- 2/0 swivel --- Running line to reel.

For a yak setup I just use bigger hooks, longer drop of weedeater line for better rub protection.

Steve -- you think I should be using longer wire bite leaders?

I like a little longer wire in case charky gets wrapped up. The mono can get rubbed through with their sandpaper skin. Won't have to change the line so often either.

Coop had one last week that tore up the mono for 10 feet. Had to do a change.

I have the couple feet of weedeater line to use as a rub guard.

I am experimenting with the drop distance so I can still cast the thing without having a huge drop to deal with.

For my Yakked out rigs i have 14" of 240lb Malin Wire, 15 Ft of weedeater line and then hook that to my 50lb running line. I have some HUGE 17/0 hooks too! I can't wait to use them soon!

Hey Jim,

On the casted rigs, bump up your shock leader to at least 80 and keep your wire where it is. It can still rub through but you can cast a ton further. You can't catch what you can't reach! Part of the challenge of casting for charks...

I plan to go:

hook-4 in of malin-swivel-2ft of malin with FF on it-swivel-shock leader (100lb)

The smaller leader to the hook will allow the shark to pick up the bait without ft of leader attached immediately. The FF on the next run of malin allows a closer sinker to the bait but still keeps a long bite leader of about 2.5' total. 100lb shocker should do the job in most cases, you may lose one or two. The benefit of having a nice tight package to cast is greater then the benefit of having 500lb as a rub leader and needing a 8ft drop to cast.

Thanks! I'll have to make a few this way and try it out!

Hey Jim,

On the casted rigs, bump up your shock leader to at least 80 and keep your wire where it is. It can still rub through but you can cast a ton further. You can't catch what you can't reach! Part of the challenge of casting for charks...

I plan to go:

hook-4 in of malin-swivel-2ft of malin with FF on it-swivel-shock leader (100lb)

The smaller leader to the hook will allow the shark to pick up the bait without ft of leader attached immediately. The FF on the next run of malin allows a closer sinker to the bait but still keeps a long bite leader of about 2.5' total. 100lb shocker should do the job in most cases, you may lose one or two. The benefit of having a nice tight package to cast is greater then the benefit of having 500lb as a rub leader and needing a 8ft drop to cast.