12 posts in this topic

Well to start off, I finally got a week of vacation from my job and decided to bring the girlfriend down to the beach for the week. We are going to be staying in North OC ( 124th street ). Along with us my whole family will be down and I will be trying to show my little cousins the ropes of surf fishing. I am bringing down 2 cheaper setups for them to use, my spinning heaver because if I get a nice one on and want them to feel a good fight and their hands are too small to hold my daiwas and they are not good with conv. I am also taking 2 7foot casting and spinning rods for plugs and also to take out on the boat with my neighbor who will also be down. My question is...Which spinning heaver should I bring down, 11ft OM rated 5-10oz. or the 12' rated 6-12oz?? and also, What baits should I have for that time??? I wouldn't mind hooking into a nice smaller sharks with this gear and test it out!....btw I need to re spool both of the heavers for the season, what line do you all recommend?

I've caught sharks with my 11' tica without any problems. Others might say different, but I think either will be fine. Good luck!

Tossin' plugs I use 12#, heaver it's 20# with an 80# shock. Others use 50# shock. You'll probably stop by Sue's (Oyster Bay), clams, Bunker and sand fleas will do. Stay away from store-bought frozen bait, 'cept maybe squid.

Tossin' plugs I use 12#, heaver it's 20# with an 80# shock. Others use 50# shock. You'll probably stop by Sue's (Oyster Bay), clams, Bunker and sand fleas will do. Stay away from store-bought frozen bait, 'cept maybe squid.

As for store-bought frozen, just add to the squid comment, I've never had an issue with frozen mullet - seems to work just fine. Blues have always gave them their toothy approval...

If you go through Cambridge, stop at Kool Ice and get 50# of fresh Bunker for $15. It's on the street behind Wawa.

If you go through Cambridge, stop at Kool Ice and get 50# of fresh Bunker for $15. It's on the street behind Wawa.

If you get there between 10am and 1pm its usually super fresh to.

Where actually is the "Kool Ice" place??? I will be heading down from Lancaster PA area. Do you think I am OK with 15lb test seeing that I probably have close to 450 yards or is it worth taking an extra spool of 20 just in case? I wont be fishing EVERY night that I am down if that helps lol.

Pop this into Google Maps:

110 Washington Street

Cambridge, Maryland

From RT 50 goto the red light at WAWA in Cambridge and turn towards WAWA and make a right onto washington street, go staight about 1/2 mile down the road. Look on your left there is Kool Ice , Kools Car wash and Kool Carry out all in the same place. You can't miss it. Just make sure you bring a cooler big enough for 50lb of fresh fish and ice.

I wouldn't use 15lb test for surf fishing. Lost many a striper last spring because of it. I would go with the suffix 17. Awesome line.

15lb test would be fine if you are targeting small fish such as spot, king fish and croakers.

If you want or even plan to catch any of the big boys you should go to at least 17lb line.

Well, if you are targeting smaller fish like kings or croakers, I would use 8-10lb to keep the resistance down. Since you are casting right into the breakers.