9 posts in this topic

I need everyone's opinion on the best striper cicle hooks. If you don't use circle hooks, let me know why. I have been using these:

circle_466.jpg.9b385c12f8f4f040105d418c1

Mustad circle demons 10's and 12's,,,use 12's when using big heads & chunks for big cows.

mustads_100.gif.cc8a52c9083ab344eceb2d22

ruler3_208.gif.fb95cc9f8da572b7ff6cfefe0

just remamber that there are some differences between brands, Gamakatsu and Mustad #8 aren't the same size so look to see witch one's you prefer to use I think that the Mustad are alittle bigger the the Gamakatsu....

I don't use circle hooks mainly because I'm so new at surf fishing, I don't want to learn two things at once -I have some Owner and Gamakatsu circles (already snelled) that I'll use one day when there's a school of blues hitting constantly - so I can afford to experiment. Until that day, and until i get comfortable enough to make the switch, I'll stick with Octopus hooks.

Circle hooks are good for us lazy folks who like to throw bait and let it soak. The way they work:

Little striper (under 28") comes swimming along.. "Mmmmm someone left a chunk of bunker here... ! I think I'll eat it."

So, the way he eats it. He opens his mouth and sucks bait and water in and down the throat. Once its there he starts to swim away. with a circle hook, as he swims away, it slides back up his throat and as it comes to the mouth, the point of the hook wraps around the corner of the mouth no matter which way he swims. You got him hooked!

Same scenario with a "J" hook as he swims away the "J" hook immediately sinks in as soon as there is resistance (the throat).

Little striper doesn't get released without major damage to the throat with the "J" hook.

This is my experience and I didn't understand it until I did some research and someone explained it to me.

yep - understand the concept - just want to work on one variable at a time :) I love the "lazy" thing though - I just can't stomach the idea of losing my first big striper hit because i'm not "used" to fishing with circle hooks. I'd rather lose a snapper blue or two while I adjust.

So the basic change in technique/habit - when soaking bait/spiking is this right?

Octopus / Baitholder/ J hooks - Sit rod in spike with loose drag/baitrunner feature on - when you notice a fish running w/ the bait you SET the hook

CIRCLE Hooks - sit rod in spike with loose drag/baitrunner feature on - when younotice a fish running w/ the bait you reel in (don't set the hook , or at least not as hard)

The difference is just the way hookset right?

You're on the right track, buddy.

But, who knows if they have a blue or a striper on? :-)

WHAT you fish with hooks :shock: I use circles just for the reason that you dont get an many depth hook sets as with a

J hook would rather let a small one live(well better chance) then die and catch him later when hes bigger :)

I gut hooked a HUGE spiny dogfish last night. The whole catch was weird. He hit like a fish, but then dead weight. I thought it might be a small skate, but a little shaking... When I saw the size of this thing my first thought was, "Baby Sandbar?" Then I saw the white spots and came to my senses. It probably would have gone 15 lbs.