fish-aholic

Rigs on Ebay

12 posts in this topic

Hook seems a little small for Yaked out baits and I wouldn't want to cast with a 10 ft drop of steel leader. So in my opinion that does leave much of a purpose for these rigs.

Plus - they're J hooks....if you care about that....

Looks like a set of Sand Tiger jaws?

Jeff on my yak'd out baits I run 10-15' section of either 300# or 500# mono to a 18/0 or 20/0 hook. Big baits generally bring in big fish. Slip on a blue fish head or skate steak and hang on. I'll take a picture of one that a guy down on Hatteras Isl built for me. I've just duplicated what he built. The hardest part is finding the hooks.

Tom

Yeah, pass on 'em. Hooks are way too small.

I had a huge Bunker (twelve inch) on a 20/0 circle last night. fit perfectly. Use the link I posted for the 20's. "hook link".

I see no need for that heavy cable if your running line is less than 80 lb. I use different ones, daytime braid, 65# and 100#, night, 80# mono. No braid at night.

Heavy swivels, 5' 250# mono shock, 5' #12 or 15 Malin hard wire, coffee color. 20/0 circle.

Don't use a J hook for yakked out baits, it can get stuck in the sand and "plow" all the way in. Makes for one of those "I can't believe this crap" moments. It's like dragging a log in.

Hey Tom, can you elaborate on your "skate stakes"? I have tried skate for sharkin, but no success. Thanks

Sam I met a guy a few years ago that would take a dinner plate sized skate, slice em' in half and paddle them out. Anything smaller and he'd hook the hole deal and let it soak. The toothy guys seem to like like it just fine, as good or better than a bluefish or bunker. I think I have a couple pictures on my pc at home, I'll check and let you know.

Might have to give it another go. Thanks for the info.

:shock:

Way too pricey!!!!!!

Especially after you lose a couple in one night.

There is no need to have such heavy hardware at the end of the 6/0 you want to buy. You'll run what, 50#? Fifty lb running line with 600 lb on the end. Nope, too big. Just get the circles in my link, some 250# mono and #12 Malin and make your own. That will bring in whatever you latch onto.

I'm running 85# on two and 100# on another and the biggest I go is maybe #19 Malin, normally 12-15. Hooks up to 20/0.

Save your money for some good drinkey-drink and ceegars!