26 posts in this topic

Everyone got the flyer? A couple of new things. Consideration is being given to stopping fishing from 12am to 4am on Saturday and Sunday for some shut eye. They want your thoughts on this.

Also there is now a prize entry for longest trash fish overall! 100.00 Gonna have to measure those sandtigers.:happy3::happy3::happy3:

Having a rest period for the judges would be very useful. Personally, I like to fish those hours, but I end up sleeping during the day when everyone else is fishing.

I'm not in this year due to the bambino.

I think it will cause some issues with fishing spots. I mean if you aren't fishing you need to be in the BP, therefore not staking out your hole and someone can swoop in and set up. If the NPS makes a provision for this then fine, but otherwise some tempers will flare.

I like the idea that the extreme fishermen catch the extreme fish so if you can hack it, you should have an advantage.

I realize it is rough on the judges and organizers, maybe we/they can come up with some alternative scoring. A witness and a picture of the measurement should suffice, but requires everyone has a digital camera. That makes it tough since me and many others would likely be fishing alone, but it is better for the fish on the release.

With the money involved and the nature of people I don't see a way around having judges unfortunately. And having everyone clear the beach and stop fishing is no good IMO. I guess techincally you could fish and stay out 12-4 but no fish would count if caught, then you could hold your spot. Tough decision.

Bump up the entry fee and pay more judges (if you can find them) seems fair.

Good points, Ben. My first thought on this was "NPS Patrols" and very tired fisherman do not mix. The details will be in the permit and naturally, patrols will be made during those hours.:eusa_shifty:

Those without campers will have to just keep fishing or hang out for a few hours until fishing resumes. Those with campers will go to the bull pen and loose their spot.

I have to think something will need to be done otherwise I can just roll in at 4:00 and pull in Swenson's tracks while he's snoozin':blob1:.

Who am I kidding, he doesn't need sleep...

Actually if this is an actual rule it may make sense for me to get in since I could then take time to be at the condo with the screaming kid at night and not feel like I'm at a huge disadvantage at home or with the fish...

Well I never fished a tourney before but I do plan on catching at least one this year.

I understand why people aren't allowed to sleep on the beach, its to keep the riff raff out and making the beach a perpetual camping place.

If they are really worried about saftey from people not sleeping and then going out an driving they should grant exceptions for events such as these. As long as you pay a lot of money to enter the tourney that has the same effect as keeping the riff raff from make the beach their home.

I think the time limitations for sleeping should be 1:00am till 30 minutes prior to sun rise. That will let everyone get a good 4 to 5 hours of sleep and still not cut too much into the prime fishing time.

Although this doesn't prevent the spot jumping problem, they could at least relax the rules for the bull pen to allow any 4x4 to park and sleep, of course the camper guys would be opposed to this but it won't be in the peak season and only happens a few times per year.

Good points, Ben. My first thought on this was "NPS Patrols" and very tired fisherman do not mix. The details will be in the permit and naturally, patrols will be made during those hours.:eusa_shifty:

Those without campers will have to just keep fishing or hang out for a few hours until fishing resumes. Those with campers will go to the bull pen and loose their spot.

Is the rule not that you have to be fishing to be on the beach at night or after a certain time? So if you can't fish those hours of the tourney then you need to be off sand or in the BP. Only way to do it is to keep fishing and stay awake hoping the 53" doesn't bite til 4:05am

Is the rule not that you have to be fishing to be on the beach at night or after a certain time? So if you can't fish those hours of the tourney then you need to be off sand or in the BP. Only way to do it is to keep fishing and stay awake hoping the 53" doesn't bite til 4:05am

I have never heard of the rule you must be fishing after a certain time.

I know DE beaches require you to be fishing ALL the time, but I never heard of any restrictions like that at AI.

Well I found a PDF file on the website and it does say that overnight parking is prohibited unless actively engaged in fishing.

Looks like we these rules need some serious modifications unless you plan to give people with campers a really unfair advantage of not having to leave the beach!

As a judge last year I did not mind having to be up all night as with this year I will most likely judge again with luck more then one day. To help Terry and Bev out I try and do a 12 hr shift on the beach then go to work and come back out afterwards, as for pay it's all voluntary and as for most judges it's not about money.

Any way it has worked for the last 5 years so keep it the same.

I am kinda thinking like Ben here. I like the idea that if you want it bad enough then go get it! But I can also understand if there are not enough judges it will be a problem. Does not matter which way it goes....I will still fish it.....if I can get a ride out there!

Well guys.....don't catch them all, apparently I am on call the weekend of the tourny this year :( And we'll be short one person due to a maternity leave at the same time so there's no working the schedule to my advantage. But save some for me, I will be down the following weekend for my birthday and will be posting up in the join me section before it happens.....

To fish in this Red Drum Tourney?? Esox Phil- I am thinking out loud here- but I think we can fish together in this tourney if I get my act together ( aka clearance from HQ). I have only managed to catch a few pups in my fishing life- but I can probably make this work and catch a couple.

Someone please give me a run down of the weekends events so I can plan accordingly.

To fish in this Red Drum Tourney?? Esox Phil- I am thinking out loud here- but I think we can fish together in this tourney if I get my act together ( aka clearance from HQ). I have only managed to catch a few pups in my fishing life- but I can probably make this work and catch a couple.

Someone please give me a run down of the weekends events so I can plan accordingly.

You almost have to fish with someone. Its hard to call on the phone to report your catch while you are reeling it in.

Personally i find a team of three to be good, of course I haven't read the rules yet so my attitude might change. What I was thinking is during those long hours 1 person on the team can bring thier lines in and take a snooze for a couple hours while the other two team members keep each other awake. This way 3 people can split bait, food, firewood and etc costs.

As the NPS regs state, must be actively engaged in fishing...

I am thinking that means someone in your party must be, not everyone. If I am incorrect, please correct me. I mean heck, otherwise that would mean your significant other couldn't nap while you fish. Or do they consider "party" as a vehicle?

If you team fish, one of the members can get snooze time if they choose to do so. It simply means that person has chosen to not possibly catch during that time frame, that's it. Reel in your lines and stake them above the rogue wave mark so others don't grab the spot. The team members can keep an eyeball open for the seagull that wants to remove the pole from the holder.

You almost have to fish with someone. Its hard to call on the phone to report your catch while you are reeling it in.

Personally i find a team of three to be good, of course I haven't read the rules yet so my attitude might change. What I was thinking is during those long hours 1 person on the team can bring thier lines in and take a snooze for a couple hours while the other two team members keep each other awake. This way 3 people can split bait, food, firewood and etc costs.

Are you in?

I have to think something will need to be done otherwise I can just roll in at 4:00 and pull in Swenson's tracks while he's snoozin':blob1:.

Who am I kidding, he doesn't need sleep...

Actually if this is an actual rule it may make sense for me to get in since I could then take time to be at the condo with the screaming kid at night and not feel like I'm at a huge disadvantage at home or with the fish...

Easy there Charkbait - that bambino won't be like that forever - fish will always be around to be caught - that baby will be in school before you know it if you aren't careful.

fish will always be around to be caught .

I hope you are right...I'm not so optimistic.

Are you in?

Of course I am in, now we just need to get Trowpa involved and we can have the PA trio!

PS-- I qualify for the PA trio since I just moved to MD in November. I lived my whole life in Northeastern PA

I'll make sure I take a picture of the 60 inch Red Drum We catch and send it to you. Just let us know how that gig went......

HMPF!:cussing: Oh - I'll be putting my time in in september - don't you worry!!! (Just won't be during the tournament)

Of course I am in, now we just need to get Trowpa involved and we can have the PA trio!

PS-- I qualify for the PA trio since I just moved to Maryland in November. I lived my whole life in Northeastern PA

What about esoxangler Phil?? He needs a ride and I (we) could probably use an experienced fisherman to help us out.

Phil -where are you????