2 posts in this topic

I got out for some practice for the first time in a while. I decided I wasn't going to throw to see how far I could toss but practice like I usually have to fish. 8oz + bait. Well I used a 10 and a 12 and worked on my form on my hatteras. Surprisingly I did hit 170 yards measured with the 10ozer and a bunch in the 160's. This is with an ocean mater cape point that I rebuilt the handle on. I have a new rod coming next week, an AFAW rock @ 13ft and a powerhouse. I'm interested to see what I can do with that. I'm nowhere close to tapping out the OM's I have for big weight heavers, but I'm interested to see what difference a $400+ rod makes over the $190 I have in the CP with the rebuilt handle.

I know what I need to work on but it was exciting to see those distances with heavy weight. Only got 140 on the 12oz but didn't throw it that much. Reality is that 8+a bunker head lands you in the 10-12oz range and I/we (not many people) never practice with those weights. So with never really throwing that amount of weight and the added wind resistance very few people get anywhere close to field 8oz distance on the sand. I'm about 50 yards less on sand with 8+head then I am straight 8 in a field. I try and make up for it by wading to chest height but it doesn't make up for all of it.

The other piece to this is the Thumbdinger, I wet the leather and throw away, no spool slippage even with 12 oz. It's also how I broke my rainshadow though, not having a "check valve" for bringing the power in too quickly. The thumbdinger is the solution to spool slippage, it's got me another 30+ yards on sand because I can wing it as hard as I want, even with a wet spool.

Good deal, Ben. That is some good distance. :icon_thumright: