happy2fish

Does lightening scare fish away?

5 posts in this topic

Last year roughly 10 minutes before a storm hit Javier and I filled a cooler full of bunker in roughly 20 minutes time then the storm hit and everything just died. so I believe this story holds some valid truth.

I dont think it's so-much the Lightning, more-so from the fact that Thunderstorms are associated wth Cold Fronts and Cold Front will send fish deep, scatter them and cause the "bite" to slow to a stop

If the storm is within 20 miles, I'm not fishing anyway.

Lightning can go up 30 miles horizontally.

I don't care how good the bite is, lightning's bite is worse.

I saw a guy get hit, he stayed conscious all the way to the pier and into the ambulance. Not a horror I would tempt for a few fish.

We have it relatively good on the beach, we can see the storms coming, and some big'uns we get! Unlike those fishing in the hills and mountains. The rise and trees can block your view of the storm. There have been stories of people getting hit by a "bolt from the blue". This is when the visible sky is blue but just over the hill out of sight is a storm. The lightning arches around or over and gets you. Remember too, that a fast approaching storm will send the barometric pressure plunging. This does have an effect on fish, no doubt.

So the point of the original story? Sure, I can believe fish take cover or leave, sounds good to me. I sure would....

This happened to me

It was a beautiful summer afternoon not a cloud in the sky, so I headed to the beach after work. I had set up my 1st pole and was rigging up the second when a moderately severe thunderstorm came out of nowhere. Lightning, wind, thunder & heavy rain. I went and took cover under the lifeguard stand. Next thing I notice is my pole is bent big. I ran out there and started cranking, brought in my biggest striper ever. Don't know if there was any more around after that I packed it in.

I think lightning scares fishermen much more than fish. I am out in front of a cold front as often as possible. Right after the storm passes the fishing is usually still good, until the clouds break anyway. When I am fishing at Little Seneca in freshwater and see a storm comming I am going nowhere. Fish till the last minute and then head to the bank and under the trees!!!! I know, I know. Under a tree is the worst place to be. But I figure that under a thick stand of trees is as good as I can get. I just don't get under any of the taller trees.:dontknow::dontknow::dontknow::dontknow:

Now if I am on the beach and I see it comming and I have my beach cart and rods sticking up in the air I am gone!

Anyone ever been out before a storm and had your line float up in the air?????? Better take cover quick!