Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest rodinsthinker

Rigging A Bunker Head

9 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

I ran across a web site not long ago with detailed instructions on rigging a bunker head for Rocks.

Anyone ever heard of anything like this?

Maybe someone would like to share how they are rigging these?

Just jam the hook through the roof of the mouth/nose and pop it through.

That's about it!

Some ppl go through the eyes but it can come off easily.

Besides, you want it to see the Rock coming, right?

Thanks Steve. The web page I saw had some kind of double hook rig. I usually just hook it through the nose too. Thought I might be doing something wrong. Interesting that I have never caught a Rock on bunker, just finger mullett and lures.

Right on Steve. Every time I hooked it through the eyes, the mouth came wide open and sucked up sand while reeling it in. Some folks cut off the bottom jaw, but I don't bother. If you hook it through the bottom jaw up just above the nostrils, you'll be fine. :v:

I have done it couple ways and have seen an illustration of the two hook on bunker head but never have done it,,,for big heads I cut the lower jaw off and hook it just above the nostrils and smaller heads, I just use the whole head and hook it the same way except I go threw the lower jaw first,,,I may try the two hook rig but am not sure its intended for circles.

There is another alternative and is suppose to be excellent in rigging heads on a circle,,,not to get into any great detail, but basically the circle never penetrates the head but is rather tied to the top of the head just above the eye balls with the use of an elastic thread and bait needle threw the eyeballs,,,probably not very practical because of the time to rig the head up and am not sure how well it will cast because the hook may seperate from the head when casting due to the thread,,,suppose to be very effective but may be more practical for boat fishing.

Of course, I may have to try out my new secret weapon rig that I have been working on all winter long :) .

I have fond out that if you go thur the eyes the mouth stays open and casting you can get some spin,

I have fond out that if you go thur the eyes the mouth stays open and casting you can get some spin,

Is that a good thing :?:

No, it's not. If it's spinning that means that it's generating drag, not a good thing for distance.

A smooth football or bullet, yes, a flat fish, nope.

In fact, the more aerodynamic you can make your bait, the farther you can toss it.

If you can freeze a piece of bait in a round "ice cube" you'll get a good toss and the water will melt the ice.

Steve thanks :thanks: for more detail on my post I didn't have the time to get into more at the time...........