31 posts in this topic

The water is warming up but it seems to be pretty quiet now. Some of the smaller fish are being caught, like kings and snapper blues, but not in any great numbers. Hopefully the numbers will increase along with a few larger critters.

Feel free to post our reports here, fish or no fish.

went out tue and wens, with only two skates being caught over 24 hours. I did get to test my bait launching device in real conditions, though. Very good results for the first couple tests. need to do some minor tweaking though.

"bait launching device"? Tell us more. Got any pics?

"bait launching device"? Tell us more. Got any pics?

its a secret that can't be unveiled until the Summer Fling for sharks!

Charkbait is also working on something to help us all out.

How 'bout a hint....does it look anything like this?

8nbait.jpg.c604157dbb325488bb5a3638e5eab

I think Dave's might, mine is more like a slingshot on streriods :dontknow:

How 'bout a hint....does it look anything like this?

[ATTACH]2935[/ATTACH]

not quite but gettin close, I have got a few bugs to work out yet but the major stuff is functional, like it wont work with day old bunker, but tuna belly works great. gotta find some solution to these problems, and time it takes to go from ready to bait out needs to improve.

Fished with my brother and his family and joined a little later by Sam and Tyler...yaked out some shark baits late afternoon into the early evening...nothing but a couple skates. Water was very clean and warm.

Flies were fairly bad but when the sun went down I was expecting to give a couple pints of blood but no skeeters were around.

Fished with my brother and his family and joined a little later by Sam and Tyler...yaked out some shark baits late afternoon into the early evening...nothing but a couple skates. Water was very clean and warm.

Flies were fairly bad but when the sun went down I was expecting to give a couple pints of blood but no skeeters were around.

no flies on wens, but I am still scratching from all the skeeters. man oh man they were horrible.

Coop,

How far are you taking the baits out, past the 2nd or 3rd sandbar?

Using Bunkah?

only had three or four shots so far, the furthest being the edge of the third bar the shortest was between the second and third, used tuna belly, works real well, and bunker, not so well. I have come up with a solution for the bunker though.

Coop,

How far are you taking the baits out, past the 2nd or 3rd sandbar?

Using Bunkah?

Steve, one out maybe 250 2nd bar and the other out, maybe 400 + yards where the water was visibily a much deeper blue-green, not sure what bar, but the color of the water was a very deep color and dropped it in it. The reel holds around 800 and figured more than half of the line was dumped out.

I did use bunker. I can't catch anything of the small variety for bait. Harbor Tackle had some bunker that looked like it came right off the boat...fresh, crispy and bloody.

Thanks Coop,

I'll take the "little" one out to maybe 800 yards and the big one maybe a half mile. See if I can find the real blue stuff.

After dark I'll keep 'em in closer for obvious reasons....

:dontknow:fished out on the beach of the state park the other day. Had to shoo off some horses that were walking along the surf. Well, one must have gotten caught in my line. It spooled out about all 300 yards of line. Lost my top and bottom rig too. I think it would have been a keeper too, if I had reeled him in.

My nephew is down with me in OP for the summer and wants to catch a shark. Is it possible on a 12'' Ugly Stick with a big spinning reel? I assume we would need a lot of heavy duty line, metal leader and very large hook. Any tips for a first shark fish? Bait, day or night, weight, rigging, anything would help. I have the next 2.5 months off until school gets back in session so we can hit it pretty regularly.

Thanks, PWF

I fished Friday night 7-11 pm for shark. My plan for kayak transport fell through so I had to cast the baits out. Didn't catch a thing.

Amanda and I fished with Steve (trowpa) from aroun 8:00pm Friday Evening till around 2:00pm Sat Afternoon. Fished pretty close to the entrance. People came and set up (swimmers) on both sides of us around 10:00am. They where like 10 feet from our end poles. What luck!

As for the fishing, well not so good. I caught a some skate as usual, Trowpa caught a small fish we can't ID (he is going to post the pics later on today) and Amanda caught a small flounder (on a bunker chunk with an 8/0 gami) It was like 8 or 9 inches.

We tried a lot of everything to catch fish, we mainly used fresh bunker, but had some Tuna chunks and belly, fishbites on the kingfish rigs (no takers other than the small fish Trowpa caught) and some squid.

Trowpa casted out some really manly steel wire shark rigs with huge chunks on them all night hoping for the toothy critter but no luck!

Oh well, we drop back an punt and try again next weekend!

Well ffemtreed said it - whole lotta nothing going on. Friday night there was a guy next to us yakking out baits - didn't see him with any action either. Least the weather was beautiful and the bugs were manageable. Saw some of the coolest meteorites too - very clear night.

Good news is I broke in my new "coop magged" avet sx with a fish (small though it is!). Some day i hope to get something on it to break the drag in though. Below is the fish. - i first thought it was a croaker, but it doesn't have the usual croaker markings or "hump" like others i have caught. This was much more just plain silver...never saw a sand perch before...is that what this is? Also put a pic of the surprise flounder Amanda pulled in.

5852a50f3c9d9_IMGP0643(Small).JPG.52bd28

5852a50f416c4_IMGP0645(Small).JPG.7c1423

5852a50f45432_IMGP0647(Small).JPG.a23e2c

looks like a sand perch to me...

looks like a sand perch to me...

Yup. Pretty little critters.

Yup. Pretty little critters.

too bad sharks don't think so, We tried using it for bait and it didn't even get touched.

Today from the beach...very nice day with no big critters.

Just wanted to add that around 2:30pm on Saturday the rangers where starting to count the ORV Traffic, so if you plan on heading out on a weekend I would call ahead to see if there is a wait.

Beach was filled with campers this past weekend, the tracks where really deep!

fished the back bay sat from the Assateague Island bridge to the 90 bridge, 6am to noon. no catches. seemed like the crabs were makin a meal outa the bait before a fish could find it

forgot to add, water temp north of inlet 72, south of inlet 65

Went out near the Bay Bridge, on the Sandy Point side. There were a bunch of boats anchored up, so we joined the pack. Fished bunker from 2:30 to 8:30 without even a nibble.:angry9: We only saw a few very small fish caught and a ton of skate. Of course I would've been happy with a skate towards the end of the evening, just for some pullage. Might try again later in the week depending on the forcast. :dontknow: