31 posts in this topic

Anyone here ever deal with changing the starter motor on a 03 Jeep liberty? I need to change mine and i want to know if I can tackle this myself.

JIm

PS-- where did the 4x4 forum go?

most starters are fairly simple, never did a libby, but i cant imagine it beig that difficult. crawl under and take a peek, see how it looks

normally its only a couple of bolts and a wire or 2

I didn't get a chance to look under it yet, it just wouldn't start this morning and I had to be at work on time so I couldn't play.

During my lunch break today I am going to crawl under and get a good look.

I have changed alternators, water pumps and brakes before with very little problems, I just worry that I am going to have to a controsionist to reach the bolts of the starter.

I just really hope this is my starter and not something more serious. I can hear the starter motor running and spinning its just not catching on anything. I am assuming its the solenoid but I am scared it might be the flywheel or something like that.

Wow - Jim. Good luck. Hope you get it fixed soon - we gotta fish!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow - Jim. Good luck. Hope you get it fixed soon - we gotta fish!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, your ride on the beach this weekend depends on this being fixed!

I'll try my best!

if its spinning and not engaging most likely its not pushing the starter gear forward. last starter i changed took @ 15min

if its spinning and not engaging most likely its not pushing the starter gear forward. last starter i changed took @ 15min

Do you know if its possible to just change the solenoid, or should I just do the whole starter since I will (hopefully) have it out.

most vehicles that ive worked on the solenoid is part of the starter, easier to change the whole thing. i believe fords have a separate one, but since i never plan to own a ford i cant say for certain

Do you know if its possible to just change the solenoid, or should I just do the whole starter since I will (hopefully) have it out.

I have had a similar problem, and ended up being lose starter bolts, especially if you have a slight oil leak, works as a penetrating fluid. I dont recall the difficulty level for a libby starter but should not be out of reach for a d.i.y. job, let me know if i can help.

p.s. not sure where the 4x4 forum went, think it got lost with all the changes to the site lately. It is weird being the 4x4 moderator with no area to moderate.lol.

I have had a similar problem, and ended up being lose starter bolts, especially if you have a slight oil leak, works as a penetrating fluid. I dont recall the difficulty level for a libby starter but should not be out of reach for a d.i.y. job, let me know if i can help.

p.s. not sure where the 4x4 forum went, think it got lost with all the changes to the site lately. It is weird being the 4x4 moderator with no area to moderate.lol.

Wow if all I have to do it tighten up a few bolts that would be awesome. I am not aware of any oil leaks, however I do have some vibration when I drive when sand is in my wheels and throws them off balance.

Hmmm, possibly the spring?

Did ya smack it with a hammer?

Hmmm, possibly the spring?

I didn't try the mallet trick. Even if it does start after whacking it I would still want to change it. The last thing I want to happen is getting permentaly stuck on 10 miles down the beach!

There ya go! That's the ticket.

The last thing I want to happen is getting permentaly stuck on 10 miles down the beach!

I can think of worse places to be stuck....

I can think of worse places to be stuck....

yeah but stuck 10 miles down and run out of bait...:angry9:

thats what plovers are for

............at night wth a full moon, blowing 20 + kts outta' the southeast and high tide inna' hour:evil6:

............at night wth a full moon, blowing 20 + kts outta' the southeast and high tide inna' hour:evil6:

full coverage...new truck! cept you get posted all over the internet as a dummy

actually, anyone know if something like that is covered?

Well most insurance company's deny off-road claims, however I am pretty sure that its still considered bayberry drive, even after the paved area stops. I talk to a person I met on the beach who stated they actually got a speeding ticket on the beach and the prosecuted him just like it was a regular roadway, which he says worked in his favor because he got off because the proper placement wasn't inplace on the beach.

By all means, get the starter squared-away, no doubt.

But in a dire straight, as listed above, a hammer just MIGHT do the trick.

Yep, at the fence, out of bait, blowin' east at 25 with the tide coming up, at night and alone, not a pretty picture.

And worse......

Out of beer!

Nuff said.

Can you believe not ONE autoparts store in this area has a starter in STOCK!!!!! I am really Peoed! They look at me like I was asking for a two headed dog.

Sorry for the Rant!

Well it official. Its going to the shop to get done. Looks like I have to remove part of my exhaust and some type of heat shield that is wedged behind a bunch of other components to get at the starter.

Looking at it it seems almost next to impossible to get it out without the vehicle lifted a couple feet in the air.

I REALLY hope they have this done by Friday so I can go fishing this weekend! I am SO depressed right now, not because my Jeep is broke,b ut because I might not be able to fish this weekend.

if you have trouble finding the part, try pasco, they specialize in electrical stuff. one in easton, one is salisbury.

oops see its going to the shop

I did order the starter from a place in easton (parts america I think) I am picking it up at noon today and I found a garage that will install it for me for 75 dollars and PROMISED me it will be done by the end of the day tomorrow. so it looks like fishing is back on my agenda for this weekend.

Good news Jim - keeping my fingers crossed.