Bohica

Great way to get the bait out there

28 posts in this topic

Those green heads would be out in full force if that thing was working.

I have seriously thought about that. You would need a lot of line to get out far, pretty much 45% more than the horizontal distance. You'd need another line to pop the quick release for the 8nbait too.

Only one bait for each launch of the kite though, otherwise you wouldn't be able to run the bait up the line. I still like the r/c chopper idea.

But alas, yes indeed, that would mean a west wind and the flies and skeeters would be on the beach big time.

I have the solution, testing now actually. Then I need to get it more transportable.

I think I need something like that. My casting this past week end was shameful to say the least.icon9.gif

I am also working on an idea, just not sure how the rangers would like a potato gun on the beach, as for the release and launch set up that is a trade secret for right now.

I been doing some research on a huge slingshot type thing thats hooked on two vehicles. I am not a physicist so all those formulas I found don't make sense to me. Everything is in newtons and silly units as such. One day when I have nothing better to do i'll figure it all out. And to think I got an A in Physics in my college class....

I have the solution, testing now actually. Then I need to get it more transportable.

Ben - hope this one works out better than your weed whacker pulley did last year. My advice - try this one out during the day :icon_tongue:

Seriously - Ben, Dave, Jim - all working up ideas...perhaps we should host "The Great Atlantic Anglers Bait Chunkin'" competition!!!

I been doing some research on a huge slingshot type thing thats hooked on two vehicles. I am not a physicist so all those formulas I found don't make sense to me. Everything is in newtons and silly units as such. One day when I have nothing better to do i'll figure it all out. And to think I got an A in Physics in my college class....

well i may be able to help i did stay at a holiday inn express last night

oh and im an engineer:hello:

Somewhere online I saw some people using one of those heavy duty water balloon sling shots to launch bait out.

I wonder what kind of distance they were getting - i couldn't see the bait splash down on that video. Simple enough to try - anyone wanna give it a shot and report back? Maybe try it on a measured field to see if the distance is worthwhile?

a giant cross-bow:dontknow:

not yak distance but over the bar with 10+chunk, which can be good for anything. spinning or conv. If I can get it to 10+whole bunker/tuna belly then it will be ready. no more yakking at night for me!

not yak distance but over the bar with 10+chunk, which can be good for anything. spinning or conv. If I can get it to 10+whole bunker/tuna belly then it will be ready. no more yakking at night for me!

That sounds good enough for me - can't wait to see what you've come up with.

probably a bit much to haul to the walkover as it stands now, need to "shrink" it.

nah, still has to be big and strong to throw those big weights and baits with the 30+# test following though.

nah, still has to be big and strong to throw those big weights and baits with the 30+# test following though.

RPG:evil6:

my prototype has been built, need to do some testing before I take it out to the sand, looking like maybe tuesday I might be able to test.:evil6:

did some tests this morning, now mind you I have not attached a line to a reel yet but I was able to launch an 8 oz sinker over 200 yards, and a 5 ounce sinker around 300 if not further. I am still trying to figure out a way to get the same distances with bait and line attached. but the initial results are lookin good, if all works out I will be able to sell the plans to anyone who wants them at a really good price especially to any member of the AMSA and Atlantic Anglers.

I am still trying to figure out a way to get the same distances with bait and line attached.

Aren't we all - I know i've seen my sinker go flying 200 yards towards spain - unfortunately its always immediately following a loud "SNAP!"

I tried the water balloon sling shot, with poor results.I drove 2 steel u channels into the sand at a steep angle. We launched bio degradable frozen water balloons over the breakers.Only reached 50 yards at best. The channels were not stable enough. Never gave 2 vehicles a thought. Will have to try that. I think a bait chunking contest at the summer fling sounds like fun.As far as the line I wanted to try a spring tension wheel clipped to the rod to handle the sudden snap of acceleration.:dontknow:

Dave you'll find the line will make a huge difference, it will cut distance by 25%, then you're down to casted range, add in bait and you're really hurting. I think the # to shoot for to make it worth packing and setting up etc is 1.5-2lb payload 200 yards or just over the bar depending on conditions. Once you or I can hit that I'll leave the yak at home and go chunkin. I'm damn close in a field with 30#, I may just go with 20# and call it a day.

Where I'm at now is almost as hard as kayaking just to launch 1 bait. I like the idea of several out over the bar though.

This is just a prototype to see where I need to make adjustments and improvements, this morning I launched the 8 oz sinker well over two hundred and fifty yards. I am going to do some modifications to launch bigger items but I think I have a rough idea how to send bait line and sinker in a package.Ben I hope to see one of us come up with something.

well test results and trial runs are in, my device is launching 6oz and tuna belly into the middle of the breakers and i am not even maxing out my potential. The only thing is i need to work on a better charging device and my batteries died on me late in the evening so I have to add a few more in parallel to keep the same voltage and increase current. I hope that will fix it and it is not my other portion. dont want to give to many details away. but anyway if all goes as planned I will be out again tomorrow doing more tests and seeing what my max potential is.

nice! batteries, whoa! mine is good ol man power and some serious rubber bands :dontknow:.