7 posts in this topic

I've fished and caught sharks from above the OC Inlet to the south side of the Indian River Inlet but have never fished Assateaque. Can anyone help me out with a general area to try on Assateaque for sharks?

Howdy Max,

Assateague, as far as the Sharks are concerned, is the same as OC or other beaches.

Work everything the same way except for one thing.

Try to stay as far away from swimmers and surfers as possible.

We wouldn't want anyone getting caught in the heavier running line.

We don't want 'em freaking out either.

Is it worth getting a ORV permit for Assateaque? I have one for Delware and it makes life easier. I would really like to meet you and Sam and everyone else that loves to shark fish some day. I must say I have it pretty good, my wife is a real beach bunny and all I have to say is let go the the beach and fish and she's in the truck ready to go. It doesn't matter if it's a one day trip or for a weekend and it's a 4 1/2 hour drive from where I live in Pa.

Hey Max, If you plan on sharking, I would suggest getting a permit for the orv area or park at the very last parking area on the national side and walk down the beach a little bit,,,this way you can generally stay clear of swimmers,,,if you plan on doing some night time sharking then you can go to the state park on AI or park in the main parking lot on the national side,,,If you plan on coming down often, I would always suggest getting the permit, it's easier on you (no hauling gear back and forth), and much less crowded,,,with the orv permit during peak summer times, I would suggest getting there early on saturdays and sundays, more so on saturdays then any other day,,,weekdays, I have never seen a wait to get on the beach.

good luck, Scott

Max, here is what ya do. Get an ORV permit, get your fishing gear and come to AI. If you wanna catch big sharks, come with us this summer and we'll show ya a good time. If you don't have any sharking gear, bring watcha got. I'm up for sharing a few sharks. :) I would like to stay down south this summer becasue of the (Rare) possibilty of someone getting a toe chewed off and blaming it on a great white. I don't want to get any publicity from anyone who doesn't understand what Shark Fishing is all about.

It is the best thing to do during the summer when catching kingfish and croakers gets old. We've got a few months, so i would suggest reading up on the forum and checking out how we do it.

AI is definately the place to be when it comes to shark fishing.

Coops_tiger-1.jpg

A fella told me that the point at Cape Henlopen also has some good sharkin potential. It has some pretty deep drop offs few hundred yards out. Problem is it gets closed for the piping plovers during prime sharkin season... :twisted: