52 posts in this topic

The striper season is winding down and we are currently going into the usual summer transitional phase. Water temperatures are getting very warm and with the wind forecast for the next week, it could even get a little warmer. This may start the sharking season a little early and by the end of the week, we could start seeing some larger critters in the surf zone. Some of the usual suspects are out there this time of year- kingfish, blues and flounder in the back bays.

Feel free to post your reports here, fish or no fish.

Well hit the beach this morning for a few hours, I'll let the pic show you how I did.

0612070528.jpg.a3e77947afcfd7b28c9d1dd57

What the heck is that?

Well Steve it's not a dead bird :icon_rabbit: but about 20 lbs of rope.

Well Steve it's not a dead bird :icon_rabbit: but about 20 lbs of rope.

I think i have you beat - at least my catch was alive at some point....but then again, I bet yours was harder to pull in!

now in a good current with that rolling across the bottom catching your line it could get real exciting for a moment...clicker going off, rod doubled over...ROPE ON!

I think someone drum season fought a net that took them a couple hundred yards down the beach...then came back to a drum on another rod. AISURFFISH?

Well we made it on the beach mon,It was very relaxing. All we got was a snoot full of sand.icon10.gif

DSCF0220.JPG.2ca0c65d9f22002c27ecdedf6d8

fished most of the day until the wind blew us off the beach around 6:30.

I had the biggest hit I have ever seen on my one rod. My Penn 525 SCREAMED and SCREAMED! I was half spooled by the time I ran the 10 ft to my rod and 30 - 45 seconds later I was pretty much down to my spool. well I got some line back and then all of a sudden LIMP..... Bait came in whole just mushed a bit, no bite marks.

I have no idea what it was, but it was FAS and swam straight out!

I fished Ocean City today from 2:oo to 5:30. I caught two fish 10" and 23", both on chicken breast. The tide was ripping in the entire afternoon. The water was 6" over the dock when I got back to the ramp. It looks like the next few days the fishing will suffer due to spring tides and the new moon on the 15th.

6-12-07-1.jpg.8f1e849f1697dae6ad319d6c8c

Hmm... drum? Ray? Those big rays like to "squash" baits...

I thought it might have been a ray, but it was really really fast and I was able to turn it at one point and it fought like a fish with head shakes and all.

I really thought it was a shark of some sorts and it bit me off, and thats why the line went limp, I was REALLY surprised when my bait and line came back intact. I can't even blame it on a dull hook because it was a brand new Gami Circle only 2 or 3 casts on that hook.

That's what both great and heartbreaking about saltwater fishing - you just NEVER know what you'll get on the end of your line next!

well, lets just say crazy weather today. Started off beautiful, then rain, then some serious wind. when the wind died the mosquitoes came out full force. One striper to be had,20 inches. I good run on my sharkin rod, set the hook and fought it for 3 minutes before the line went limp. I was using big bunker heads and it came back half bitten off. Thinkin shark just didnt get a good hook set. Javier had the same problem. other than that no skate no doggies nothing. might try again tomorrow.

Jim I think you had a good run in with a shark. If it was screamin I don't see how it could have been a ray. Could be a good summer, early June sharkin.

Should be a huge drum to go to the point where you can't stop it, my guess is chark.

Jim I think you had a good run in with a shark. If it was screamin I don't see how it could have been a ray. Could be a good summer, early June sharkin.

Should be a huge drum to go to the point where you can't stop it, my guess is chark.

I've had big rays scream and the wings sliding up and down the line feel like a head shake.

If your bait came in with no bite marks, seriously doubt it was a shark... But, I could be wrong.

I've had big rays scream and the wings sliding up and down the line feel like a head shake.

If your bait came in with no bite marks, seriously doubt it was a shark... But, I could be wrong.

touche

never had a ray that I didn't instantly know what it was by the way it took the bait.

touche

never had a ray that I didn't instantly know what it was by the way it took the bait.

Ever caught a cownose?

Never had a ray run for that long. Have had them scream but short duration. Only thing I've hooked that meets Jim's description in a big Red Drum.

not on purpose :icon_thumleft:

never got a suicide run out of them like shark or drum. Then again I haven't caught that many cownose so maybe it was a water temp thing.

Never had a ray run for that long. Have had them scream but short duration. Only thing I've hooked that meets Jim's description in a big Red Drum.

reading Jim's post again...if this were the september reports section I would have a different answer...clear.gif

not on purpose :icon_thumleft:

never got a suicide run out of them like shark or drum. Then again I haven't caught that many cownose so maybe it was a water temp thing.

What are the water temps now?

reading Jim's post again...if this were the september reports section I would have a different answer...

That sure is a possibility. I would love to see a Spring AI red drum. Very rare compared to the Fall run, but they are caught once in a while. Why did you have to miss that fish, JIM! :)

Still, I have had big ole rays that make a nice fast run... plus, if he was using a 525, that thing empties out really quick. :dontknow:

Still, I have had big ole rays that make a nice fast run... plus, if he was using a 525, that thing empties out really quick. :dontknow:

Plus - they way Jim is progressing w/ his casting - he probably had all but 25 yards of the spool out already with the cast :icon_tongue: