14 posts in this topic

We went fishing off shore yesterday on the Reel Hus 2. We went down to the Marine Electric and drifted north with the s - sw wind. We caught one shark, a dusky or black tip, let him go 4 - 5 ft...... Then the hook up of a Mako. The fish came to the boat quickly and then went toward the bow, then back then back to the bow...... under the front tow ring and snap....

We can catch 45 " rock fish no problem, but when the big fish come we sometimes have problems

Experience is a tough teacher sometimes you get the test first and the lesson later.... Our lesson

Lesson- have a fisherman hook up the belt

- have one man go to the wheel and start the motors

- have another guy reel in the lines.... and clear the deck

- have a leader guy

- then the reel guy becomes the guide for the captain

- keep the fish at the back of the boat, and don't bring the fish to the boat green.....

NEXT TIME>>>>>> we have the lesson now bring on the next test.... I think this applies for big tuna as well... blue marlin if we ever hook up.... I hope one day to be on the boat when we do.

Nice words of wisdom.

Experience is the best teacher but it helps to remember the words of someone who has been there.

Glad you put that here. I am headed out on the longfin tommorow for my first time sharkin.

Yes - big fish are a complete TEAM effort and everyone needs to know their role. I remember my first tuna- 60 lbs or so....maybe not big for some, but it is the biggest fish I had had ever landed and it wore me out!

I was lucky enough to be on the boat with some VERY experienced people. I was amazed at the coordination. our leader man was giving directions to the guy driving - lots of colorful language exchanged, but they certainly knew exactly what they were doing - driving the boat around in circles and keeping him right where they needed him. Once the fish got close to the boat, I was the least important member of the team!

sounds like you're learning:icon_thumright:

lesson #1 is to keep someone at the helm At All Times, as "stuff happens" and it usally happens real quick:confused3:

and small boat sharking is tough enough as it is..... I think it is best to bring the shark to the boat green to see if it is worth keeping.... then if its a keeper get him tail roped quick... that way you don't run the risk of exhausting them and killing them anyway. once you have it tail roped they just drag behind the boat and if you catch a bigger one you can still release. And small boat sharking is a 3 man minimum operation. I have done it with 2 before a few times with a very experienced captain and once by accident, but more is always better. Once it comes time for the kill, flying gaff, long handled gaff, shotgun/bang stick, gloves for everyone handling the shark. always use caution with a shotgun on the water...duh...careful not to get the tip of the gun in the water (you will pull an elmer fudd) and (I speak from experience here) don't put the gun on the sharks head right above where the gaff man has the gaff, a 12 gauge will take the gaff right out of his hands. and at 80-100 buck a pop that gets expensive.

and once by accident

Uh-ooh, that doesn't sound good...

:D

I have done it with 2 before a few times with a very experienced captain and once by accident

So you put a steel leader on and live lined a croaker by accident? Oops! :booty:

Had a great time! We caught probablly 10 Black tip sharks. At 3.45 we were going to get ready to head back at 4, when the line started. The clicking. Hit a bluefish filet. Will be some good eating today!

5852a50e05ba4_shark002.jpg.c54cfa2cd0013

Good Job:icon_thumright:

I sea grilled Mako steaks in the near future for you all:happy2:

Very nice shark! :icon_thumright:

Nice shark..... congratulations

*did the captain maneuver the boat when you were fighting the shark?

*did you clear all the other lines?

*did they gaff the shark or pith it with a bullet?

*did the shark come to the boat quickly and then head out, or did you keep the shark away with the engines for a while?

*did it jump.... Mako do leap .... I was concerned the one we had on would sky by the boat..... thrash and snap inside the boat....

Nice shark..... congratulations

*did the captain maneuver the boat when you were fighting the shark?

*did you clear all the other lines?

*did they gaff the shark or pith it with a bullet?

*did the shark come to the boat quickly and then head out, or did you keep the shark away with the engines for a while?

*did it jump.... Mako do leap .... I was concerned the one we had on would sky by the boat..... thrash and snap inside the boat....

I wasnt the rodman on that shark by the way, just wanted to give credit to the person that actually caught that one. I caught a blacktip. The mako was brought in by Tom Smith. Yes the boat was started up and manuevered (very well I might add by toms son lance. We cleared all other lines as soon as he was hooked up. We gaffed it. Bullets and water dont mix sometimes. If it was 50 lbs more it would have been shot. We kept the shark away the best we could. We hooked it 3 times. First time it straightened the hook. Second time it ran at the boat and got off. Third time it was gut hooked so it didnt jump.

So you put a steel leader on and live lined a croaker by accident? Oops! :booty:

no that was totally on purpose.... we just accidentally found the sharks Bob, I blame Costa Del Mar for that:icon_tongue:. and I must say that I omitted one very key word in my previous post..... I should have said... "...very experienced SHARKING captain...." no offense Bob I would go to sea with you any day of the week(if it was a big enough boat for the seas:booty:)

and to you other guys great Mako!!!! hope you enjoyed those steaks.