15 posts in this topic

Caught an Eel the other night...The biggest Eel I have caught in a long time (infact it was the only fish of the evening). Nice fight.....Bout 3 foot log and thich as yr wrist big fat guy ...slimmmmmy as all get out. ended just cutting the line and letting him slither back into the deap. After wards had my friends tell me that they are way good cut up into steaks. Never tried Eel before anyone like those critters? Good fighting fish thought I had a nice Rocky on............:icon_pale:

We catch those big ole eels in a creek about a half mile from my house. They bite on little pieces of chicken and you could catch as many as you would want (none for me, thanks). Once you get one up, trying to handle the critter is nearly impossible. I couldn't imagine eating one!

Coulda saved that for sharking this summer. Slice em open lengthwise and the fat lays out nicely. :evil6:

Eels are a delicacy in Europe esp France. I used to eat a few when I was kid and when my Swedish Grandfather would visit he loved them. They have a rich lean flavor and are very good. Read while back there is a bay fishery for them for export to Europe. They are great smoked. You have to skin them like a snake or catfish. Use paper towels to hold the slimy bastage.

also makes great bait for our offshore Pelagic buddies:evil6: slide-on a brightly colored skirt over there head, troll on a rigged line...........wait for-it...............snap,ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ- FISH-ON:booty:

on a side note here been out 2x's this weekend bottom fishing for Croaker and possible Flatties in the Eastern Bay..........Nice Perch and Spot.....and a few Cow Nose Rays:disgust:

I have had smoked eel in a sushi roll. (unagi roll) Pretty Tasty! but you wouldn't catch me eating one out of the depths of the bay!

Why not? Are all our fish unclean? I eat them and I only tremor every 15 minutes...you adjust.:happy7: I think that a lot of the fish that migrate up creeks come in contact with areas that are ....not the best of environments for them ...... so does that means they are uneatable? Or does the toxins wash away with time ....swimming in better water:happy8:

lol In the case of eels their migration is fascinating. Those things migrate from South America to Europe and here. Cool critters. Like stripers they come in contact with all kinds of waters. Been eating that stuff for years and nothing wrong with me. Been eating that stuff for years and nothing wrong with. Been eating that stuff for years and. Been eating. Been...................:confused5::confused5:

No, I just have something for a slimy, snake-like creature, that I will not touch. EVER:icon_thumbdown:

Been eating that stuff for years and nothing wrong with me. Been eating that stuff for years and nothing wrong with. Been eating that stuff for years and. Been eating. Been...................:confused5::confused5:

LOL

yea I know what ya mean. Took me a while to eat catfish . I thought they were just plain ugly and chucked them over when ever I caught one then one day I decided to bring one home and eat it and man o man was that a good tasting fish. Guess I gotta try that with eels:confused3:

yea I know what ya mean. Took me a while to eat catfish . I thought they were just plain ugly and chucked them over when ever I caught one then one day I decided to bring one home and eat it and man o man was that a good tasting fish. Guess I gotta try that with eels:confused3:

Tom, do me a favor. When you decide to clean one, get someone to video record it and then put it on here for us. I would love to see you guys try and hold on to that thing. Make sure its still alive. :happy7:

lol In the case of eels their migration is fascinating. Those things migrate from South America to Europe and here. Cool critters. Like stripers they come in contact with all kinds of waters. Been eating that stuff for years and nothing wrong with me. Been eating that stuff for years and nothing wrong with. Been eating that stuff for years and. Been eating. Been...................:confused5::confused5:

Good one......:happy3:

better yet freeze those biguns and then chunk them from the beach...eel steak has got to be good if they are big enough.