47 posts in this topic

The striper fishing has slowed a bit but there is still some out there to be caught. Kingfish are starting to make a showing and the flounder fishing has been fair in the back bays.

Feel free to post your reports here, fish or no fish.

How far out are these kings? What are you catching them on?

How far out are these kings? What are you catching them on?

I havn't caught any yet, but your best bet is to use fishbites and Hi Lo rigs and experiment with distance until you find them. They are going to move in and out and go where ever the fish gods tell them to.

I have heard they are usually in pretty close though.

I've caught kings on fishbites mostly - with those little store bought rigs w/ glow in the dark floats :eusa_shifty:

I have caught them on clam as well while fishing for stripers.

Majority of them are in tight to the beach but have casted out far and caught them when they were not biting close. In my experience, if the water is very clear, forget it, unless its night time.

went out yesterday and today, yesterday was beautiful on the beach but very choppy water and muddy at that only managed a couple of the usual skate and one 32 inch doggie. I was packing up for the night and my abu 7000 was sounding like its clutch was slipping, got home tore it down and found out the gear that ties the reel to the spool was done for, so being down a reel I decided to go and get another abu 7000 newer model year. I went to ai to try it out and beautiful beach and day, arrived around 5 by 6 my new reel and rod started screamin, set the hook and then the fight was on. I had a sharkin setup on the rod and a huge bunker head. At first I thought it was a small shark 4ft or so but as I got it closer it was to small to be a shark with that kind of fight, beached it and what do you know? I got my fist striper. FINALLY! I will post pics here shortly, but he had some serious lacerations near his tail. He measured in at 38 inches and weighed around 30 pounds. very nice cow. Did not have a single hit the rest of the eve.:blob1::blob1::eusa_dance:

Great job, Dave! I remember my first beach striper. I was all alone and I was like a little kid, jumping up and down, yelling and looking like a total idiot. :happy7: I kissed the fish and put it on the hood of my truck.

Congrats and I am looking forward to seeing the picture.

Way to go Dave!! Nice catch. I know you said it hit on your sharkin rod...Just curiuos, did he hit on wire leader or steel leader or mono leader.

Way to go Dave!! Nice catch. I know you said it hit on your sharkin rod...Just curiuos, did he hit on wire leader or steel leader or mono leader.

1/4 inch thick braided steel cable i get from work(used mind you)