47 posts in this topic

The striper fishing has slowed a bit but there is still some out there to be caught. Kingfish are starting to make a showing and the flounder fishing has been fair in the back bays.

Feel free to post your reports here, fish or no fish.

How far out are these kings? What are you catching them on?

How far out are these kings? What are you catching them on?

I havn't caught any yet, but your best bet is to use fishbites and Hi Lo rigs and experiment with distance until you find them. They are going to move in and out and go where ever the fish gods tell them to.

I have heard they are usually in pretty close though.

I've caught kings on fishbites mostly - with those little store bought rigs w/ glow in the dark floats :eusa_shifty:

I have caught them on clam as well while fishing for stripers.

Majority of them are in tight to the beach but have casted out far and caught them when they were not biting close. In my experience, if the water is very clear, forget it, unless its night time.

went out yesterday and today, yesterday was beautiful on the beach but very choppy water and muddy at that only managed a couple of the usual skate and one 32 inch doggie. I was packing up for the night and my abu 7000 was sounding like its clutch was slipping, got home tore it down and found out the gear that ties the reel to the spool was done for, so being down a reel I decided to go and get another abu 7000 newer model year. I went to ai to try it out and beautiful beach and day, arrived around 5 by 6 my new reel and rod started screamin, set the hook and then the fight was on. I had a sharkin setup on the rod and a huge bunker head. At first I thought it was a small shark 4ft or so but as I got it closer it was to small to be a shark with that kind of fight, beached it and what do you know? I got my fist striper. FINALLY! I will post pics here shortly, but he had some serious lacerations near his tail. He measured in at 38 inches and weighed around 30 pounds. very nice cow. Did not have a single hit the rest of the eve.:blob1::blob1::eusa_dance:

Great job, Dave! I remember my first beach striper. I was all alone and I was like a little kid, jumping up and down, yelling and looking like a total idiot. :happy7: I kissed the fish and put it on the hood of my truck.

Congrats and I am looking forward to seeing the picture.

Way to go Dave!! Nice catch. I know you said it hit on your sharkin rod...Just curiuos, did he hit on wire leader or steel leader or mono leader.

Way to go Dave!! Nice catch. I know you said it hit on your sharkin rod...Just curiuos, did he hit on wire leader or steel leader or mono leader.

1/4 inch thick braided steel cable i get from work(used mind you)

Sam, keep getting upload failed message every time I try to upload a pic, I did make certain that the pic size is correct.

Congrats Dave! Sam is right -You'll never forget your first Striper!

Good job Dave,

Wish I had better luck hit the beach yesterday the water was muddy but cleared up with the wind changing, in all just some skate, one doggie and a small blue.. Other then that was just nice to get on the beach.

Sam, keep getting upload failed message every time I try to upload a pic, I did make certain that the pic size is correct.

What size is the picture? If you want to email it to me, I'll upload it for ya.

What size is the picture? If you want to email it to me, I'll upload it for ya.

still having trouble with my internet provider at the time but if it stays up and running I will email it to you. I am currently at work and dont have access to it right now. I did resize it to fit specs but still just kept getting an error message. upload failed.

Here you go:

DSC02660_800x533.JPG.ebccdb551adb1ae3deb

DSC02661_800x533.JPG.2d7ee8b05b9822897ad

Nice fish, Dave. I wonder what cut him up like that?

Nice fish, Dave. I wonder what cut him up like that?

Not sure of that myself, it was pretty deep too.

Nice fish Dave......:icon_thumleft:

Here's a picture of my outing this morning at Assateague from 6:30 until about 10:00. Also, the bail on my Daiwa BG90 reel broke today.:help: Does anyone know where or if I can get replacement parts for my reel? I'd hate to have to buy a whole new reel. Three weeks ago, I cast out, the line snapped and the top half of my rod went out in the ocean. Has this ever happened to anyone? The only thing I can guess is that somehow my line got wrapped around one of the guides......:angry8:

5852a50d5df2c_fishreport.jpg.04cf64ab4c1

You're supposed to take the picture BEFORE you take the fish out of the cooler :) . Sorry to hear about your misfortune. That can get expensive quick. If you need one of mine till you get it fixed you're welcome to it. Have to warn you though, my stuff seems to have a jinx on it. Ake might be able to help you out with the part. If not probably a trip to B&R or Old Inlet.

Does anyone know where or if I can get replacement parts for my reel?

Click on the Alltackle link at the top of the page.

Nice fish Dave......:icon_thumleft:

Here's a picture of my outing this morning at Assateague from 6:30 until about 10:00. Also, the bail on my Daiwa BG90 reel broke today.:help: Does anyone know where or if I can get replacement parts for my reel? I'd hate to have to buy a whole new reel. Three weeks ago, I cast out, the line snapped and the top half of my rod went out in the ocean. Has this ever happened to anyone? The only thing I can guess is that somehow my line got wrapped around one of the guides......:angry8:

That looks like my cooler lately when I take out all the empty beer bottles and sorry to hear about the reel.

Click on the Alltackle link at the top of the page.

X's 2 for Alltackle, there on Rt 50 next to the Royal Farm store (old delmarva tackle shop) and Keith(owner) will fix you up:icon_thumleft:

Fished friday night through saturday night..... one small king on fish bites other than that I had to go out and retrieve 2 rods cause I wasn't paying attention but got them both back... and I am done with braid in the surf its great for fresh and its great for the ocean and bay but it gets too torn up on that sand bar.....

I fished Assateague Island on Friday evening and Saturday morning. A couple of hours into Friday evening I'm about to leave my girlfriend in charge of the rods while I go to look for a flashlight she thinks she dropped when I see the the line being taken out on the rod I have baited with a bunker head.

Whatever is on takes out the line but then it kind of just sits there. It wasn't a run or anything just a steady pull. I grab the rod and bring it up and man, something heavy is on there. It felt almost like a snag or dead weight but it definitely was moving around a bit so it was something alive. It takes out some more line then kinda stops again then starts again.

That goes on for about 15 minutes, it would move maybe 50 yards up the beach then 50 yards down.Eventually I'm able to get some ground on it and when I bring the rod back I can feel when I'm actually lifting the thing off the bottom. I get some line in and get it almost to the breakers when I think it realizes how close it is to the beach and takes off. Not a fast take off but more of that start and stop steady pull. I get it stopped sometimes but then I give it a pull and I can feel the thing pull right back and it just keeps taking out line.

I can tell by looking at my line that the thing must be out past the bar and I'm down to about the end of my spool so i set the drag hard and try to get it in for another 20 mins. I didn't really think I could bring it in so I was pulling pretty hard and eventually I broke the mainline.

So what was it? A big ray? Scuba diver? It didn't really ever have any energy about it except when I would try and pull it and it would pull back.

Also, how do I fight something like that with a spinning reel. Do I set the drag to where the line just barely comes out and then do the old pull the rod up and reel in the slack? I felt like I could have sat there all day with the drag set pretty hard but I was pretty tired and worried about getting spooled.

And on Saturday I caught a bunch of dogfish.

Thanks

Bryan