Guest Mr.Mom

BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A KO LT285/70R17/D

38 posts in this topic

Anybody running this tire on the sand?

Likes/Dislikes?

Sidewalls started to crack and peel exposing belts at 15k miles. Cracked where tire flexed at low pressure. I will never buy anymore. Could not get reimbursed either. Mine were E load though

Sidewalls started to crack and peel exposing belts at 15k miles. Cracked where tire flexed at low pressure. I will never buy anymore. Could not get reimbursed either. Mine were E load though

Thanks CG....these are D but still rated at almost 3,200 lbs so I figure the sidewalls may still do what you're talking about....

I need a tire with a high load rating but still airs down well :help:

I really like my Nitto Terra-Grapplers. E-load rating for towing the boat and other trailers, air-downs great. Big aggressive tread, but fairly low road noise.

I looked at their site and they make a dune grappler too...with a real high load rating.......

May go that route....waiting to hear if the dealer can re-cal my speedo so I don't have any warranty issues down the road......

I would definately go with the dune grappler, a little pricey but well worth it and with a good life span. I run 235/75/16 michelin cross terrains on my 04 explorer and never had to much trouble, in need of new tires soon and I might go with 265/75/16 just for a little extra height and width. I also run 31x10.5x15 mudd terrains on my old explorer but I will never take them on the beach again.

I'm leaning towards the dune grappler Dave :icon_thumright:

I have to take my truck to the dealer (they coouldn't tell me via phone) to see if they can calibrate my speedo to the new tire size...the truck is still under warranty and I don't want a hard time from them if I need work done down the road.....

If they can't calibrate it I may go with rims too and swap them (factory ones when having work done, and maybe through the winter) but naturally that means more money :icon_pale:

I went with the BFG AT/KO 285's on my PSD. They are D range but like you said, 3200# load each. Plenty good 'nuff for me. Another nice thing is the max pressure of 65. The E range is 85, takes longer to air up & down. Excellent on the road, quiet, good in snow and sand. My speedo read 2 mph higher with the stock 265's, now it reads right on.

My tires have a 50k warranty, not concerned about a failure, would just get another one to replace it. I know of plenty of folks that have not experienced any problems with them. I air 'em down to 25# running at 8000# on sand.

They make the E range but I only saw blackwall when I purchased.

Keep the mud tires out of the sand, not too good on it.

Thanks Steve....I'm going with those...got a price on-line and now I'm just waiting to hear from BJ's to see if they're cheaper.....

Then I'm having the tires mounted and speedo cal done by the dealer (I had the truck there today and they said they can do it) this way they do the change together and can't pull any warranty crap on me down the road (I bought the big $ extended warranty with the truck)....

It's good to hear from someone running that exact tire :icon_thumright:

Sand here we come :eusa_dance:

i have the dune grappler and have had it since march that tire is awsome 285 75 16 though

i have the dune grappler and have had it since march that tire is awsome 285 75 16 though

choices choices :happy3:

Is that an E rated tire?......how's it air down for you?....how heavy are you (your rig I mean ;))?.....

the whole rig is prolly over 11k loaded to the hilt...

i air them to 35to40 i had a littel trouble after the rain sunday but went to 30 and it got unstuck real easy..

Thanks.....they are some really cool looking tires as well...thanks for the pic :cool:

Ya convinced me....

Hows 201.00 a tire sound?...that's delivered.......

mine were 825 installed next day locally here in berlin md

Ok....I'm not to far from that....the dealer wants 15$ a tire to mount and balnce em...then they'll re-cal my speedo.....

I'm buying a spare too...so it's a chunk of change but the trucks about usless on the sand now.....

If not being installed by the seller, don't forget to add in the cost of the tires, bigger rims (if needed), freight, mounting, balancing and valve stems. Oh yeah, and the all-inclusive "shop supplies", and tire disposal.

Over my way we have a County and City waste tire surcharge too. I told them take all that off my bill and throw the used tires in the bed. Shucks, wouldn't you know, they forgot to throw the tires in the bed but did take the charges off the bill. Gee, gosh, darn.....

You MAY be able to use your existing rims, check it out.

I'm using my old rims Steve....and taking my tires...they have about 1/2 life left (or more) but if they sit around and I become convinced I'll never use them the school will take them for field day.....heck maybe I could sell them for a couple bucks.....

Also the dealer only get's $15 a tire for mount/balance which for Jersey aint bad.....

I also got free shipping :)......

Sand here I come :happy3:.........

Keep the mud tires out of the sand, not too good on it.

have to disagree with ya there.not on my trucks anyway.

Almost any tire will get you through the sand, but at the expense of increased transmission heat, increased fuel consumption, etc.

Mud tires are designed to get down into the mud, where a sand design is more designed to float on top.

It's all relative to what the driver perceives based on the tire used.

Sure, you can buy a set of 41" Mickey specialty Mud Boggers but you'll pay on the hard surface by increased tread wear and rough ride.

The AT's are a good all around tire for those that don't have specialty needs.

Almost any tire will get you through the sand, but at the expense of increased transmission heat, increased fuel consumption, etc.

Mud tires are designed to get down into the mud, where a sand design is more designed to float on top.

It's all relative to what the driver perceives based on the tire used.

i completely agree with you there.an all terrain or sand terrain is better for driving on the sand.but i rather have the traction when needed instaed of busting out a shovel or when i need get up and go in a hurry for some reason.ive had to many close calls to getting stuck in the soft deep stuff to ever run a less agressive tire in the sand again.:) just a personal preferance for me

Those big tires can and I have seen them dig you down in the sand, Mud tires are made for off road mudding where you have some more firm ground under the mud but when it comes to running on sand a more non aggressive tire works better as stated by Steve. With the sand you want to ride on top of it not plow you way Thu it, yes mud tires will pull you Thu the sand but it will heat up your trans more then if you were to ride on top with softer tires and have less wear on your trans and drive train. Witch in the long run will cost you less.

So unless you do a lot of " real " off roading go with the A/T tires you will save money and have an all around better ride. IMO.