18 posts in this topic

Fished on 4 days while on vacation. They had the pipes/lights and dozers right in front of our place for 3 days of my vacation, had to walk and haul to fish and only did that one evening.

50 sharks all but one on casted bait none over 5 foot and none under 3, all drag rippers and a total blast. Caught everytime I tossed a line in to fish. Probably missed just as many on takedowns and runs without a hookup, think it was the heads and big hooks.

I have to total report but I think it was

8 spinners

1 bonnetthead

41 sharpnose

One day I fished "hard" (1-2 rods all day) 9-5 and got 17 other then that it was 2-4 hour clips averaging about one per hour fishing no more then 2 rods ever. Seemed the sharpies would come through in packs so you'd have quiet lines for 45 minutes or so and then get 3-4 in a row so more then 2 rods wasn't a good idea.

Used a drum rig with 3 inch steel leader for distance, only got bit off once on one that swam at the beach.

I love clicker fishing man, this was a blast, those little sharks could whoop those stripers I was getting at AI and I bailed em out when I tried to, this was as close to catchin instead of fishing I've ever done.

Never saw another shark beached the whole weekend...I knew their bait sucked so I took 100lbs of bunker with me that I salted and vacuum sealed then froze and packed in the coolers, I probably used half of it but I still caught on my last cast to get #50 which is what my goal was heading down.

Hooked into 2 huge garage door rays one night up at the inlet and didn't go back, seemed they were everywhere. I also didn't yak to any island, when I scouted the current was too strong to risk it and since I was catching right in front of the place there was no reason. I planned on fishing 200 hours or so but only got in somewhere in the 40's but it was a blast. I've got a ton of pics that I'll post in this thread over the week.

3rd day of the trip I snapped the butt off on my RS1502 on a cast...yes snapped the butt end, so much for throwing hard and trying to break the rod. 6oz + chunk too, there had to be a defect. Scared the crap out of me, sounded like a gun going off in my ear.

Good Job Ben:icon_thumleft:

looks like it was a very productive vacation:happy2:

Very cool, Ben! Sorry to hear about your rod.

The rod was under warranty so I should be fine, just a PITA to mail it back etc. Luckily I don't have to rebuild the top, just the seat and handle. I have pics I'll post in another thread.

Ben, did you get any pictures of your toothies?

yeah got lots of pics but none on my camera, my family was there with cameras blazin' so I need to wait to get them emailed. To be honest all the pics look the same, very little variation in size. I'll post most of them this week, I probably have about 30 that all look identical.

Oh, and the one on the yakked bait came in dead unfortunately, only one I killed all week as far as I know. About a 4 ft sharpie that couldn't make enough noise for me to know he was on there, he died because he couldn't swim to breathe. He had a little bit of kick left when I let him go but he had maybe a 20% chance.

Nice report ben - can't wait to see the pics.

Shame about the rod - let us know if they give you an issue with the warranty (being the blank was trimmed).

Looks like a fun day in the sun Ben.

The charks were the bait, right?

:D

No, but the bait was still slightly bigger then the ones you've posted this year:bootyshake:

I keed, I keed.

DSC00194.jpg.08ace80be142b59c608d0119f3d

DSC00210.jpg.8a78a23cffd51a78f67b3b8ca5f

DSC00202.jpg.c7b9451fdf048644eed8551093f

DSC00207.jpg.9cc96ec16ee11c3f5be26de5934

DSC00192.jpg.c9e1f64f78d6e798b3a55602c29

DSC00153.jpg.c6ad0452d35145b41e6fa14a861

Thanks for the pictures, Ben. Nice work.

Looks like a great vacation - thanks Ben!

Great pics!!!!

Looks like the kids had a blast too (big kids included) :D

Ahhh, water warming here, be nice to yak a bit.

And no, your bait wasn't as big as my catches, all ONE of them!! :angry8: