8 posts in this topic

:happy3: I have been reading up for quite a while now but first post, I ask you go easy on a rookie.

If you had to make a condensed list of must haves fishing tackle for a surf fishing trip out what would you take or suggest to get hooks, leaders, weights.

I would like to make sure I have what I need and if necessary take out what I do not need.

I want to be on the right track to teach the kids since my Dad has never owned a fishing pole.

First welcome AIdunerunner as for tackle most use 17 to 20 lbs mono and a fish finder rig, hook size any where from a # 6/0 to 8/0 or bigger as for weights make sure you have sinkers from 4 to 8 oz that should be fine if you need more it will not be a good day to fish most times, with the kids you might want to toss some small hooks with some fish bait on it to hit some of the small stuff so they get to pull in something as for Rock and blues they will hit on cut bunker.

Just let us know if you need any more info.. and let us know how you did:icon_thumright:

I'll second that, add on a nice sand spike for your surf rod, maybe a pier cart to haul your junk???

The list could go on and on and on!:happy3:

Basic needs for a FUN day of fishing.

Rod (preferably 10 foot or longer)

Reel spooled with some 15 - 20 lb line

Sand Spike

Long Nose Pliers

Line Clippers

a couple of assorted sinkers (4 6 8oz)

a couple fish finder swivels (or premade rigs if you prefer)

some extra line to use as shock leader 50 or 60lb test

some really sharp circle hooks sized to what you expect to catch

Bait Knife

Bait

This is the basics of what you need to have a good day surf fishing

also, Sun Block....................................................... and a, um, maybe a Thumb Dinger:evil6:

oh and..........Welcome Aboard too:hello:

Welcome aboard. I'm sure you'll get any question answered and if you need help while you are out and about, you'll find many tackle shops in the area who can point you in the right direction. Harbor Tackle in west OC has helped me out a lot.

Thank you all I am going to compile a list mark what off what I have and highlight what I need.

Then it is shopping,

Thank you again and I hope I can get bites for the kids so they do not:icon_thumright: get to board.

Thank you all I am going to compile a list mark what off what I have and highlight what I need.

Then it is shopping,

Thank you again and I hope I can get bites for the kids so they do not:icon_thumright: get to board.

If your ever out during the week pm me and I can help you out, although no vet myself, I do have a couple years under my belt now thanks to the other members of this site.