10 posts in this topic

Ok, so what's up...You guys all talk about Kings.....The kings I know are King Mackerel. I believe the kings you refer to are what I call Whiting. Everyone around here Calls Stripers "Rockfish", and I know there is a story behind it...I just have to try and find it. What other fish am I missing on this topic?

Yeah, I was in a discussion about this on another board out of Texas. I said I caught kingfish, they said they call em king whiting down there. That kingfish are the larger wahoo sized fish.

I always thought rockfish was a term originating out of the chesapeake bay. They call em stripers most other places, right :?:

Yeah.....its a local thing...I know there is a story, there's another board I post on that I know has the answer, I tried to search it but couldn't find it.....so I posted trying to get the answer again....

Sea Trout, Weakfish, Bastard Trout, Chickwick, Saltwater Trout Sand Trout, Shecutts, etc, etc, etc....

Maybe because their lip is so weak, no snatching to set the hook.

Alewife, LY, Alwive, Bunker, Bigeye Herring, Branch Herring, Gray Herring, Grayback, Kyak, Sawbellly, etc......

Oops, for got Fresh Water Herring and White Herring...

Hardhead, Croaker, Corvina, Roncadina, and 15 more names.

Yeah, in FL the only thing we catch plenty of in the summer are Whiting (Menticirrhus saxatilis) or King Croaker.

Kingfish are as you said, a whole other story.... They're of the Scombridae Family, with the Tunas.

And for the Stripers:

Morone saxatilis

Family: Moronidae (Temperate basses)

Order: Perciformes (perch-likes)

Class: Actinopterygii (ray-finned fishes)

FishBase name: Striped sea-bass

Stripers

Rockfish

And 16 other wild & crazy names!

NOT to be confused with Sebastes saxicola, more commonly called a Stripetail Rockfish.

Next question?

:nerd:

spotted sea trout and weakfish are 2 diff fish, diff regs in md. but often confused

wonder about grey trouth, yellow fin trout, ect

I should have been more specific, should have typed spotted weakfish and striped weakfish, all same family as the spotted sea trout.

I think names are just really dependent of areas,,,In the chesapeake, they are generally called rockfish,,,new england, stripers,,,fish names are just like accents, just depends on what region you grew up and what name fish was given for that particular locale,,,heck, I went to a b&t out of this area and said they had fatbacks,,,"what the ,,, :? ". I think they were refering to bunker.

Ok and while we're talking about it.......Why is it called a Striped Bass.....everyone knows good and well that the Striped Bass is the largest member of the Perch Family.....Shouldn't it be called a Striped Perch?

That is a good quesion. I guess they are a little more aggressive than a perch. They do have some similarities, don't they?

wperch2_602.jpg.85f42fd402c1f8ed6cca09d5

stbass1_161.jpg.a2afd65c5367f9e35cc62ce0

Wow, alot of contradictory information......One place says member of the perch family, next place says not a memeber...Who knows...but it is defenitely not in the same family as the true "bass" of the saltwater (see scientific name of the Black Sea Bass) But if you see the scientific name of the White Perch and the Striped bass are defenitely in the same family

Science Name: Morone saxatilis

Other Names: striper, rockfish, rock, linesides

Ideal Temp: 65 to 70

World Record: 78.8 lbs. NJ

Environment: inshore, coastal, lake

Techniques: Surf fishing, casting, light tackle

Science Name: Morone americana

Other Names: Perch, Silver Perch, Blue-Nose Perch, Grey Perch

Environment: Lakes and rivers

Range: East Coast, North of Georgia

Moronidae, also known as the "temperate basses", is a family of perciform fish consisting of 6 marine species. Similar to Acropomotidae, Moronidae fish are most commonly found near the coastal regions of eastern North America and Europe.

The fish generally grow to 120 cm in length, although some have been found to exceed 180 cm. They are highly prized as sport fish.

The Perciformes, also called the Percomorphi or Acanthopteri, include about 40% of all fish and are the largest order of vertebrates. The name Perciformes means perch-like. They belong to the ray-finned fish and comprise over 7000 different species, with varying shapes and sizes, found in almost all aquatic environments. They first appeared and diversified in the Late Cretaceous.

A member of the perch family (Percichthyidae) the striped bass can be found on both the east and west coasts of the United States, although western stocks do not support a commercial fishery.