Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fish-aholic

Conventional Or Spinning

15 posts in this topic

Which do you prefer???? I primarily use spinning, however have recently jumped head first into the world of Conventional and hope to improve with them.

I recently began using conventional reels for the bass and red drum fishing from the beach. They can be difficult to learn, but once ya get the hang of it are better IMHO. I use spinning reels for my smaller setups. :v:

I have both bait casting/conventional and spinning reels (along wth 1/2 doz trolling rods n reels), I prefer to use the spining combos in the rivers, inlets and bays for casting, drifting or chumming and the bait casters for jigging or light trolling. most of my stuff is spinning reels, it's what I grew-up wth and feel most comfortable using inshore :)

Spinners for me too. Always used them. I do have an old penn long beach 60 monted on a cheapo rod. I caught a mess of kinfish out of the surf with it last year. But its a thumb-burner. :censored: Meant for bottom fishing I think. But it works great to get out to just where the croakers/kings/sand perch/SHARKBAIT are located. I can zip it pretty good for no magnets and such.

I do have an old penn long beach 60 monted on a cheapo rod. I caught a mess of kinfish out of the surf with it last year. But its a thumb-burner. :censored: Meant for bottom fishing I think.

:lol: and a solutition for that is in the works :wink:

I do have an old penn long beach 60 monted on a cheapo rod. I caught a mess of kinfish out of the surf with it last year. But its a thumb-burner. :censored: Meant for bottom fishing I think.

:lol: and a solutition for that is in the works :wink:

That was supposed to be from me, not guest. I keep getting logged off when I change threads. :?

Sounds AWESOME Randy :!:

yup, I was having the same problem @ 2 weeks ago, Sam & Steve got me to change some settings and other chit thats was over my head :lol:

Nope, that was all Steve. wouldn't it be cool if he were to created a page that explains how to fix the log in problem? I would do it, but I'm swamped! :oops: :up:

I love conventional for casting weight and bait,,,use spinners for small stuff like kings, spot, croakers, and flounder from the surf

If we are able to get together here in a few weeks, would somebody let me cast their conventional. Especially one with the magnetic brake controls. I'd like to get a feel for one of these reels. Ill try not to nest it up to bad. :mrgreen:

heres an idea.

all those that have never cast a conv get to try it, the biggest birdsnest wins the pot, lol

just kiddin there fellas

That sounds like a good contest, I'll use Sam's.... :wallb:

chomper, feel free to throw my 525mags,,,with the setting set at slow and a couple extra mags, birds nest are not a problem, in fact its almost fool proof, still gotta brake with the thumb before landing,,,there were a few times when I was getting blow up after blow up with them, not realizing I accidentally slid the magnetic bar too fast,,,kept scratching my head after I either picked thruogh it or cut threw it and only to cast again and wham, another blow up,,,I finally realized my setting was set to fast,,,now when I get a blow up with those boys, thats the first thing I check, in fact I generally check it everytime I heave them,,,like I said, slow setting, not really a problem even with someone just starting out,,,as you get more comfortable, you can tweak the magnetic control toward fast,,,great reels, just don't like the weak clicker and wish they held a little bit more line,,,now my 535gs is a whole different animal,,,what a wild beast, still love it tho!

yup, I was having the same problem @ 2 weeks ago, Sam & Steve got me to change some settings and other chit thats was over my head :lol:

Nope, that was all Steve. wouldn't it be cool if he were to created a page that explains how to fix the log in problem? I would do it, but I'm swamped! :oops: :up:

well then THANKS Steve 8) and Im sure I'll be thanking Sam for something later on :lol:

Thanx Coop. Id like to give one of those a whirl. I have heard alot of good things about the 525s. Biggest birds nest contest huh. :lol: Ill see what i can do. :jester: