12 posts in this topic

Ok what I have been using is a double uni. Last year I tried the albright. I like how it is easy to tie and I find it strong. Anyway last year I kinda gave up on it because it would catch in my top guide and I blew up a reel in the red drum tourney. Been using the uni since. But for me it is harder to tie and to tie well so this past weekend I went back to the albright.

That knot still sticks in my top guide!!!!:angry8::angry8::angry8::angry8::angry8: I got a tip from

Ben and wanted to try it out. In maybe 20 hours of fishing I blew up two reels and lost rigs. I don't think I have had two mishaps with the uni knot in about 1 1/2 years of fishing it. I really like the knot but cannot go on with it like this. Any suggestions?????

What Lb shockleader are you using? I use 50 or 60lb berkely Biggame and I havn't had any problems with the albright. I don't know how to tie a double uni yet, so I am stuck with the albright.

get some line and practice tying the uni (or whatever knot you want to use ) until you are comfortable tying it . some would go as far as to suggest to be able to tie it in the dark .

also with the double uni make sure you are trimming the tag ends close .

derf

Before you replace the tip top...what size do you have currently...12 or a 10?

I tie a loop knot, which when tied looks very similar to a spider hitch too a no name. Very quick, easy, and strong. Never had one fail and can tie it less than 30 secs. I do get the occasional blow up, may be due to the knot sticking, but I like it, strong and easy. If I can get away with 1 or 2 blowups every 12 hours I am happy...I often have the reel set on the brink of disaster anyway...a recipe for disaster sometimes.

If you find the albright sticking, go back to the uni and practice until it becomes second nature.

Thanks for the help guys!!! I will look into this and figure something out before my next trip.

sorry Phil, works for me though!

I have tops and guides of at least 12's on all my rods, some 16's.

man o man talk about the best site in the world for learning how to tie a knot.......THis one is the best!!!!!:icon_thumright:Not sure who posted it here or where I found it on here but step by step....even I can figure it out:evil6: The Palomar Knot

I have to try that Yucatan knot. Looks really simple.

I am going to sub the bimini or spider with a good ole surgeons knot to get the double line. so its easy to tie on the beach.

Thanks again for the help! You know I have no idea what size my rod tips are????I buy stock rods so I just assumed that they were good enough. But maybe I should take one off and head out to Bass Pro and see if I can get a larger tip. Gotta look into it. Thanks again!!!!!