18 posts in this topic

In relation to yesterdays topic about the fence, I thought I would raise a question on the other extreme end of AI.

How do they keep those horses from crossing the bridge and running away?

How do they keep those horses from crossing the bridge and running away?

Jim

For the most part the Ponies obey the No Ponies Beyond This Point signs and do not cross the Bridge. But occassionally one of the younger ponies that does not known how to read yet wanders astray :D :D :D

That it's sort of a payback, since the people can't read and obey the "Don't feed the animals" signs. Man, you would think that people never saw a horse before, sometimes. Or, maybe the young horses are just rebels and need to bust loose.

I've wondered that myself. I suppose they are afraid of the bridge? :dontknow:

honor system:dontknow:
Jim

For the most part the Ponies obey the No Ponies Beyond This Point signs and do not cross the Bridge. But occassionally one of the younger ponies that does not known how to read yet wanders astray :D :D :D

I think you two have it right.

So is Ranger Walker in charge of teaching the Ponys to read?

Its no wonder they don't cross that bridge.

So is Ranger Walker in charge of teaching the Ponys to read?

Its no wonder they don't cross that bridge.

yeah, 'cause if they don't obey, he'll write 'em a ticket or, or.....something worse:eusa_shifty:

at the "fling" I think I saw a horse gettin' written-up for disturbing the Plovers:icon_scratch:

Did you see the horse getting the ticket before or after the Captain Morgan????? Makes me wonder???

Did you see the horse getting the ticket before or after the Captain Morgan????? Makes me wonder???

The Captain has strange powers! :confused3:

Out in the west, they use cattle guards to keep the wild donkeys in particular areas. All the times I have crossed that bridge, I haven't looked to see if they are there. They may be much smaller than the pic below but the same idea. You would see it in the road.

Take a look next time out there ya'll....

cattleGuard_Splash.jpg.e31e8ec0d05f31873

Out in the west, they use cattle guards to keep the wild donkeys in particular areas. All the times I have crossed that bridge, I haven't looked to see if they are there. They may be much smaller than the pic below but the same idea. You would see it in the road.

Take a look next time out there ya'll....

I know that I have never seen anything like that on the bridge or to Ped walk next to it..

Steve is correct. Here in the Southwestern Mojave Desert area we cross them all the time. They do keep the wild pony's & borrows off the roadways. Also the long horn cattle. But the AI wild pony's that I remember on the Island seemed to like their home and really have no desire to leave....

One of those grates was at the end of my driveway at a place I lived. They work in theory, but not reality. It was bad on the cars ball joints and didnt keep the cows from crossing either ...

One of those grates was at the end of my driveway at a place I lived. They work in theory, but not reality. It was bad on the cars ball joints and didnt keep the cows from crossing either ...

Well there ya go!

Ya shouldn't pull into your driveway at 80 mph! :D

I don't see how they could mess up a vehicle....

I've been across plenty of 'em with no damage.

That would present a lot of lawsuits against the State that installed them in the road.

Ok, so?

What keeps the horsies on the island?

Ah, it's Texas Ranger Walker smacking a cattle prod in the palm of his hand....

:blob8:

We have an answer while camped on the island last week

I asked a Ranger What keeps the Ponies on the island

Randy get the cigar HONOR SYSTEM, it is No fences, no grates the ponies just don't leave the island.

However the Sika deer do wander accros the bridge with sometimes tragic results. According to the ranger if a sika deer is on the bridge and a vehicle approaches the deer panics :confused: and JUMPS OFF THE BRIDGE :-(. Deer are very strong swimmers but depending on where they are on the bridge they may not survive the fall :angel5:

HaHa and I was only trying to-be a "wise-guy" wth my answer:evil6:

now as far as the Sika jumping off the bridge, well I'd like to sea that:happy3:

I'll take the ranger's word on that and hope we never get to see it.

I quess they just get frightened and cofused trying to get away from the vehicle and don't know where there jumping.