23 posts in this topic

Fished last night at Kent Narrows...Lots of small Rocks and a ton of Shad.. Was a Shad love fest.....probobly caught 40 -50 of the silvery critters. Good sign (all those Shad)means that there still some Big Rockies in the Bay....just can't seam to catch em:icon_pale:

Thanks for the report, Tom. At least you got some fish. One of these days/nights you are going to hook up with a monster!

Ah, that's what those silver fish I've been catching there are. The only shad I know by sight is the gizzard shad. Were you in a boat? I've been fishing from the shore there with the same results.

Hi! Been lurking at the forums for quite a while and joined today. I was Down at the narrows on Sunday night too. Caught 4-5 small rock. About 3AM the tide and wind was so bad I had to leave. I fish there quite often, and will update on here when I do. That way you other non AI guys can keep up! I just need to find some new fishing spots around here. I hope that is what this board is for too:icon_thumright: By the way, what are you using to catch the shad there? Or are you using surf equip.

I was using a Bass assassin with a fly tied up on the leader. The Rockies hit the ASsin and the Shad hit the fly. Out going tides I find are the best . I was in a boat the other night till almost 2 am using small spinner 8lb test. Lots of fun when ya get a double header on or a big fish:icon_thumright:

Ok! So you were the one anchored out in the middle. I saw you, then some crazy guy in a little raft with an electric motor. I was one of the 3 guys that were casting from shore right by the launch ramp. I have had pretty good luck there with 4" chesapeake bay lures swim shad, but we were catching them on spooks on sunday.

hahahahh yea thats rite those guys in the raft that looked smaller than most pool floats showed up wonder if that little motor was able to get him back in. That was us in the middle there:icon_thumright: we were trying for the big one all night but no luck ...lots of little ones........

I am going to try a few places on thursday night. One near Annapolis, and then on to the narrows. Will let you know how I do.

Im thinking about hittin' the Narrows Sunday by boat, so if you sea "Get Wet" driftin' thru, give me a shout:icon_thumleft:

Cool beans!! I'll look for ya I'll try to make it out there

Su 27 High 2:47 AM 1.8 5:44 AM Set 3:06 AM 77

27 Low 9:57 AM 0.8 8:21 PM Rise 4:28 PM

27 High 2:36 PM 1.3

27 Low 8:54 PM 0.4

The tide is usually up to an hour wrong but at least u will have an outgoing tide till almost 9:30 or so. Mid week looks like the best time to fish there. Last week when we were there the tide chart said the tide would change at 9pm but it didn't start moving till amost 10....Thats why we stayed so late. THere are people who fish the incoming tide with succssess. They usually tie up to one of the old bridges pilings and cast to both bridges or drop a live one down to the bottom. I have had mixed results on the incoming tides. Usually the outgoing tide has had the best results for me. The only problem is that u can get a few boats in there and the place fills up fast. one or two boats can really limit your casting area if they tie up to close to the shadow line. If all the boats stay in a line back 15 yds or so from the shadow line then everyone can fish with good casting ranges.:glasses2:

Going to head up late tonight. How are you rigging the fly? Are you just tying it on like a trailer? I couldnt picture using a 3 way with a bass assasin and a fly. I was thinking of trying it tying a floro leader to the back of the hook on my rockfish lure. This is kind of a new concept to me so anything would be appreciated. Any particular color on the fly? thanks again.

When I had access to a boat we used to have fairly good success drifting through the bridges with live perch. Do you guys use any bottom fishing rigs in the narrows? If so what do you use? I get an incredible amount of snags when fishing from the shore there.

I have learned where most of the snag ups are. I used to lose 10-20 lures a night, but now I may lose 1. That area must have hundreds of thousands of bottom rigs stuck there. Usually when I snag now, it is on old fishing line or bottom rigs. One night I actually pulled up a bottom rig that had a small rockfish attatched to it. I tend to use swim shad, rapala jointeds, spooks, and lucky craft 1.5's. Every now and then I will throw a bottom rig out just to see what happens.

I know there are a bunch of snags under the old bridge, lots of under-water cables there:angry7:

and about that snag wth the Striper, was that like june of last year:icon_scratch: because on the island side of the old bridge:confused: Philip hooked-up on a big one last year and got spooled on some light tackle and we never saw the fish:icon_pale:

Yea man those big brutes are in there and they will run with the current and take all you have on that spool till you hear that dreaded "SNAP" at the end of the line. TOns of snags under the old bridge but if you go over the area in a boat with a good depth finder you can see the fish (and SOME BIG ONES TOO) on there just sitting in those holes and drop offs. The problem is getting the bait of lure down to them and geting it back with out donating it to Davy Jones Locker. Not gonna go out Sun night ...Tide not late enough and probobly be a lot of boats out there . Leaning more for tues night. If you all do go let me know how you did:icon_thumright:

With these I just tie a 3 to 4 foot mono leader to a swivel ( you can use a small 3 way swivel)and tie the jig to the bottom of it and then tie a smaller leader (maybe 8 inches) to the swivel and tie the fly to that one. That way it looks like the one is chasing the other and you can get both Rock and what ever else is chewing on small critters in the water on the fly:icon_thumright:

So is night more productive at the narrows? I usually only have the option to fish early in the morning.

Today I checked out a place called St.George island it was south of Solomons island.I'd say it is definitely not worth the drive. It was pretty crowded, I casted out a few times, lost a rig and then said forget it. I watched some people pull in some really small stripers but that was it. I had heard about it from the book by Lenny Rudow "Fishing the Chesapeake". It's more geared to fishing from a boat and has a lot of information on specific spots but I'm beginning to doubt its accuracy. Anyone have this book?

Also where is this spot by annapolis you were talking about?

Wow U really traveled to get down there. I was down there last week for a show and from the Bay Bridge it took my over an Hour to get there. If you are land locked and in the Annapolis area no need to travel that far unless you hear reports that they are hitting from shore . Sandy Point State park is pretty good fishing before the water warms up too much you can hit that area. Also the Old Severn River Bridge is a pretty good spot ( Permit Free area) Although it can get crowed at times.On Kent Island There is a pretty good Pier that goes out into the bay called (spelling->) Matapeake Pier. Some real nice fish taken off that one as well. Tends to fill up fast on the end .There is Terrapin Park on Kent Island as well. If you don't mind walking to the water (half mile walk). Real nice beach there. Mainly people that go there are those parachute surf boarding people. That one is just north of the bay bridge. A ride that isn't tooo far and that I want to try is the old Rt.50 bridge in Cambridge. They have public boat ramps in town would love to try and cast around that bridge at night from a boat. Or just walk it and fish from the bridge. It's over 2 miles of fishing area

Hit Kent Narrows last night and fished till the weeeee hours of the morning. We probobly caught over 100 fish ( Rockies and Shad and one very suprised Mud shad) The largest rocky was all of 19 ". Not what I was hoping for but still a lot of fun.on another note. All those fish were very clean and healthy looking not a sick on in the bunch:icon_thumright:

thnaks, good to know.

I think we're going to hit Love Pt tomorrow afternoon/evening and try chumming-up some Stripers:)

Last thursday was like that. I got there at 8pm and left at 7AM. At midnight I told my friend we would leave when we could cast 3 times without bringing in a rock. 7 hours later we were just leaving. It was unreal. Same with size, 19" was our biggest too. Went there on wednesday night, and it was nada none zero. That place is either feast or famine. I am going to try wednesday night this coming week. The full moon will be gone so that should help.

hahahahah and I thought we were the die hards......I know what ya mean by feast or famine gonna try it again Monday night tide will be going out most of the night..........Randy let me know how u do chumming We been trying bottom fishing in the Eastern bay but thats been a big ol dud. Looking for another way and I love the ol chum bucket:icon_thumright: