29 posts in this topic

Back when I had my construction company I owned a brand spanking new F250 6.0L diesel crew longbed with most all the trimmings. I'll be in the market within the next year and I'm looking to go back to a super duty. I fell in love with this truck because I got 25-28MPG with the 6.0 but I've also heard of major problems with the 6.0. I never had any and really abused it with some of the loads and equipment I pulled.

So here is the question for you guys a little more tuned into this stuff. What have you heard the issues were/are with the 6L and why should I not get one again.

We'll leave the chevy/dodge/ford pissing contest on the shelf for this thread...OK?

We'll leave the chevy/dodge/ford pissing contest on the shelf for this thread...OK?

LOL... That's what I'm talking about!

the 6.0 was a joke and is not even in use anymore, it was doomed from the start and right now Ford and International Harvester(who supplies Ford wth the L/T diesel engines) are having a huge battle as to who is going to pay all these 6.0 warranty claims.

the 7.3 was the engine to have, but the fed/gov put new emmision laws into effect and the 7.3 couldn't cut it (so far, you can blame the feds). the Feds (& Ford) wanted a smog-friendly engine and that was the 6.4, which is in production now. the 6.0 was just a "filler" engine till the 6.4's could be put thru production. now the new 6.4 is also having some issues but thats usally the case wth everything new. I think you'll be safe in getting one now.

now, as a side note. the Cumming's diesel engine used by Dodge, well Cummings is owned by Ford but Ford choose to sell there engines to Dodge and Ford buy there engines form International Harvester, so it's a matter of who's in bed wth who and it's a BIG mess right now:angry7:

guess my dreams of getting back to that 25mpg should be squashed!

If I get the 7.3 I'll need to get a prius as well.

now, as a side note. the Cumming's diesel engine used by Dodge, well Cummings is owned by Ford but Ford choose to sell there engines to Dodge and Ford buy there engines form International Harvester, so it's a matter of who's in bed wth who and it's a BIG mess right now:angry7:

ford owns no part of CUMMINS and it never has.i dont know where you got that from but its totaly false.

guess my dreams of getting back to that 25mpg should be squashed!

If I get the 7.3 I'll need to get a prius as well.

Ben the only way you'll get a 7.3 is to buy an older truck as the 7.3 is no longer in production.

now the 6.4 should fit the bill as far as what your looking for and when your ready to buy (and if Im still working wth Ford) let me know:glasses2:

I concur, Ford does not have any stake in Cummings. If it did, I would have one in my Ford instead of the 7.3 Harvester.

Stay away from the 6.4, in fact, RUN FAST!!!!!

Right now they are struggling to find out why it gets poor poor fuel economy. Also, it must use the new low sulpher diesel fuel, and it's not available everywhere.

When they square that away in a year or two, I'll sell you my 7.3 (maybe). If you can find a 7.3 with less than 250,000 miles on it that has been taken care of, check it out. Those engines are good for over a half million miles.

Biggest beef with the 7.3 is the CAMP sensor. Replace yourself for $70 and 10 minutes, no blood loss.

Funny you should mention this truck. I have been looking at the F250 as well. Probably going to get one before the end of the year, 4DR long bed. My 2nd half has given me the ok for the camper too.

I myself have always been a Ford fan, I have never had any major trouble except for a tranny that was doomed from the get go, I myself am planning on getting a f250 in the near future.

Tht F250 SD with 8' bed and a true 4-door is what you want. I have the suicide doors and 3/4 seats in the rear. Wish I had the full seats and real doors.

With the 7.3 and a few mods, I get about 19.1 mpg combined and have no idea for highway economy.

Why not?

Because every trip ends up at a beach with lots of 4X4 that eats up the fuel !!

If'n I had'ta guess, true highway I'd say about 22-24 mpg keeping the rpm under 2000.