13 posts in this topic

Hey ya'll,

I'll be down the weekend of April 1st. I have the option of golfing or fishing, since I can't tie my shoes because of my back I'm heading to AI to wet a line. I've never been this early. What can I expect? I heard the stripers left Hatteras already so maybe?

Any how, fill me in on what you would use and who of you all might be out that day...maybe share a brew or two.

You can use the standard rig we speak of all through the forum.

Running line 15-30 Lb test with a 50# shock leader to a 7-12/0 circle hook. Pyramid weights anywhere between 4-8 oz depending on the current.

Grab some bunker at Harbor Tackle on the way in.

You can use the standard rig we speak of all through the forum.

Running line 15-30 Lb test with a 50# shock leader to a 7-12/0 circle hook. Pyramid weights anywhere between 4-8 oz depending on the current.

Grab some bunker at Harbor Tackle on the way in.

Bunker...will do!

to catch? Guess we'll all have a better idea come the last week of March, huh?

skates, doggies and hopefully a striper or two will be in the water then,,,bunker should be available then from harbor tackle,,,Man,,,I wish I could get out there that day but I gotta work on the weekends.

I may be down that weekend also. See what the weather brings. Last Mid April, I pulled in a short Striper about 1 am. It was caught on a standard striper rig with a bucktail above the hook. Funny thing it did not even have any bait left on the hook. It hit so close to shore I thought I was out of the water with my rig. :shock: Probably a good time to work a few lures or flies in the wash. I am gonna try some more lures/flies this year while the bait soaks.

sounds good guys, I'll soak some dead fish and throw some lures in the suds till I get tired and need a beer.

sounds good guys, I'll soak some dead fish and throw some lures in the suds till I get tired and need a beer.

I'm starting to get nervous, looks like all I'll be getting into is doggies and skates. That warm weekend was great but the follow up cold spell crushed my spirit!

Thats ok, you can sit on the beach and drink beer with me....I'll be at the campground on AI and plan on having a line in the water all weekend.....

The time is near!

Where can I get the wind forecast so I can know what size weight I need?

Fish-aholic, if I don't have a truck full of people I'll see you down there and stop by for a while as well as anyone else I see. If I have to tend to newb's then I'll wave and try and give you some room. We'll be the one's with the early AM fire and beer bash going on.

The time is near!

Where can I get the wind forecast so I can know what size weight I need?

Easiest thing to do is listen to the weather on the radio before you hit the island.

Problem is, they'll give you the winds but not the current, it could be moving fast.

If you're using medium/heavy rods, just pick up some 4 6 and 8 lead on the way in.

Wouldn't hurt to have a 10 if your rod can handle it, all pyramids.

nice link thank have not seen that one on noaa befor.....

That is cool. I'm gonna put it on the home page. Thanks :-)

yup, couldn't live without that link, it tells me whether I need to plan on bringing my sea legs or not when I'm out on the bay LOL