4 posts in this topic

Ok, being the surf fishing newbie I am, I always here people talking about wind conditions at AI. My question to everyone is if you could make a perfect day of fishing on AI what would the winds be like and why did you chose this wind.

I would take 5-10 kts off the water.

Cools you off on the hot days, line runs straight and casts straight.

West is the worst!!!

Blows all the biting bugs from the inland portions of the island onto the beach. When you see the horses running for the water, get ready to join them!

Something coming in for fish 10-15 ENE, E, ESE, SE, even S since AI faces SE, calm for sharks. Blows the bait in, fish follow. Coming up the next 3 weeks, anytime...easterlies better then westerlies but they should get thick soon.

South to southwest blow equals dirty water and skate city at times. Great conditions for kings in the summer.

For big game fish...NE, E, SE. Any of those winds and I am happy. If the wind is going to blow hard, I want it straight into my face when facing the beach.

Sharks...a good due west or no wind at all, but that means bugs. Come to think about it, screw the calm and west winds and give me a sea breeze. I hate those darn skeeters/flies.