15 posts in this topic

I had trouble with them last year. I figure I want to get whatever I release back into the ocean in as good a shape as possible. Even skates and rays.:angry4::angry4::angry4::angry4:

And you guys know how many skates I can catch. Anyway I had trouble unhooking rays. I think I have heard that you can put your fingers in the two holes by the eyes and pick them up????Anyone do this? It would seem to make it much easier to flip them over and remove the hook, and then pick them up and get them back in the surf.

Wadda you think?

Phil, I try to go underneath. If that doesn't work, I do exactly as you say but be careful.

Will not be long when the cow noses start to show. Real big ones can take out a whole rod lineup if your not paying attention.

Good luck this weekend and catchem up!

The ones being caught....what are they hitting? :happy1:

I am heading down Sunday - Tuesday. Hope to run into something:blob1:

Phil, what I do is get them out of the wash, flip them over and make sure the tail is clear. They don't have teeth, so just grab the hook if you can and pull it out. They do have a little bite pressure, so use pliers. After you have unhooked them, flip them back over and push them back into the breakers. Be careful and keep a close eye on that barb at the base of the tail.

As far as picking them up, I don't see the need. The last time I picked one up, I got hit with the barb... Not fun.

Skates are a different story, you can grab them right in the soft spot above the wing and you'll find no spines. Just be careful when releasing them that your hand doesn't slide, cause the spines will cut you wide open and that cut will sting for a good 15 minutes.

I have always grabbed them in the nose those 2 little holes..be careful around there mouth they may not have teeth but it will still hurt. the barb near the beginning of the tail can be easily avoided just know where your footing is, ive seen plenty of people on piers rip the barb off..irresponsible fishing..

Sam, I think Phil is referring to cow noses...I found that really big ones are tough to just flip over without picking them up.

Sam, I think Phil is referring to cow noses...I found that really big ones are tough to just flip over without picking them up.

Ah.. I do remember seeing them picked up by the nose holes. Actually, I think I have a picture somewhere...

Most times all I do is pick them up by the two nostril holes and yes be careful of the barb. Using this method seams to me to get them back in to the water the fastest.

Here are a couple pictures I found:

5852a50a4fcde_8-10-05Carriesbutterflyray

my_sandbar45.JPG.4a078e3da7f95e4c852b40e

HPIM0007.JPG.f4355076f3a73a824b3e3a2dfbf

don't get bit, it hurts. they don't let go. I still have a wound from last week.

Thanks for the help. I hope I am not up to my eyeballs in rays this weekend.:angry3::angry3::angry3::angry3: Looking for something with stripes.

Thanks for the help. I hope I am not up to my eyeballs in rays this weekend.:angry3::angry3::angry3::angry3: Looking for something with stripes.

Hmm... I didn't think there are any Zebra's on AI

Skates definately have some teeth / pointy things that will make you bleed real quick. Maybe the cow nose rays don't though.

I usually dig my foot under their wing to flip them over, step on the tail, if you have flip flops or shoes, and use pliers to get the hook out. Or bring your shovel down with you to flip them over, and use that to pin down the tail.

Anyone heard that cow nose rays are devastating to the oyster / clam populations. I thought I read on the DNR site that when caught they should be killed....but how the heck do you justify killing a 50 - 100 pound animal and throwing it back in the ocean...or worse leaving it on the sand?

I like to use a shotgun before removing hook. lol

I always use the nose holes for those cow nose...makes easy work!