18 posts in this topic

Was wondering if a 50 size reel that can hold about 200-220 yards of 12lbs test would be enough line for stripers, blues, trout and everything inbetween accept SHARKS...im not to big into sharking yet. I have 2 spinning reels that size and one baitcaster that is rec. for 205 yards of 12lbs test. If you were wondering i use all braid accept on one of my spinning reels i have 12lbs trilene big game for smaller fish like kingfish and spot durring summer. What size rods would you recomend me getting for the reels i have now? I dont really fish on big surf days because i also like to surf soo i usually only fish on calm nice days so therefor i dont really need to throw alot of weight in my opinion ( like 2-4oz ). Thanks..any help would be appriciated

AIM- rockboy818

E-mail - rockboy818@aim.com

Rockboy818@hotmail.com

If you are going to be beach fishing for stripers, I think you'll be slinging more than 2-4oz. You might wanna consider something rated for 8-10 oz, because most days aren't calm during the striper season. Most days, the lead I'm slinging is at least 5oz, but mostly between 6-8oz. Then you have to take into consideration the bait itself. I would suggest a 10-11' tica rated up to 10oz. I think the amount of line should be fine for the stripers. Drum, you might want to reconsider a different reel.

On calm days, I would suggest a rod in the 8'-10' range with the ability to throw 3-6 oz should be a good match for those reels,,,like Sam said, you may find yourself undergunned on some days, but if your heading out on days when there is little current, which is what you suggest, your setup should be fine,,,12lb test with 220 should work ok, just keep in mind, if you get a big striper or blue on, you may need to baby her in a bit than say using 20lb test,,,definitely makes it more challenging with lighter tackle,,,if going for drum, I think you may need a bigger reel and a rod to match, those things can be like freight trains,,,it won't be too much longer when the big mommas start coming,,,good luck

yeah i dont think that i will have alot of time to get down when all the big stripers are here because of school but other then that ill be doing alot of fishgin durring the summer thats why i dont think i need to throw ALOT of weight? can u give me any good websites or places that i can find spinning and casting surf rods? ive looked at BPS sence i live literitly 1 min from the harrisburg one but i cant find any CASTING rods they are all spinning.

Hey on the subject of setups - I currently have 1 10ft rod w/ a Penn 8500 SS spooled with 20lb mono and a 7ft (yes, 7ft) ugly stick with a baitrunner 3500B spooled with 12lb silverthread.

Obviously i'd like to replace the 7ft with something longer. That rod was really supposed to be a 'do everything' type rod but I'm getting more into surf fishing...

So my question is - what longer rod can i get away with that will still work with my 3500B which is on the lighter side? I'm still hesitant to use braid - since i like the stretch and forgiveness of mono...so that pretty much limits the 3500 to 12lb test. I was considering a 10ft or 10ft 6inch Tica (still can't get "permission" to spend too much)

Any suggestions?

trowpa, You may consider the diawa sealine x series,,,I use an 11' sealine x (3-6oz) on occasion with my penn 5500s,,,line capacity is a little bit more on my 5500s than your 3500 but I really like the rod and reel combination,,,the 10' sealine x (3-6 oz) could be a good match for that reel and it won't cost you an arm and a leg,,,just remember, you only have 230 yds of line on that reel with 12lb line,,,it may take some skill in landing a large,,,light line and the lack of line may create some anxiety when a super large jumps on your line.

Thanks Coop - I'll check the sealines out as well. I agree - at some point i'll want to get a 4500 as well (i really like the baitrunner so far)- in the meantime I'll hope that any thing REALLY big chooses to hit my 8500ss instead of the baitrunner. (of course i know murphy's law....)

Trowpa, could be alot of fun if it decides to hit the 3500,,,when I just started surf fishing, I had a reel that only held about 200 yards of line with an 8' rod and had a real LARGE striper (late november) hit at night and the battle began,,,being relatively new to surf fishing, I battled the fish up the beach and began to get a little overly anxiuos,,,after 10 minutes I started cranking the drag down and the ever upsetting SNAP,,,my brother was there and witnessed the action and I ended up pulling a muscle in my leg and had to go home,,,a major dissapointment and alot of rubbing from my bro,,,it wasn't due to the lack of line or lb test, it was due to my lack of experience,,,but I can say this much, it was a blast on that tackle!

That's a sick feeling, when you hear the *SNAP* and fall over backwards and lay there.

Had a Charkey do that to me last year on my Penn 114H.

I'm in the market for new gear, want 3 new rods and two Penn 8500s.

I spent 2.5 hours in Bass Pro today and didn't buy a rod.

I couldn't find any 10 oz there. Looking for 12-13 ft.

Are you guys chucking 8nbait with anything less than an 8 oz rating?

Ya gotta' figure the whole rig has got to be 14 with bait.

I'm starting to re-think the whole 8'n bait.... More to come...

Steve, For big cow hunting, I am throwing 6 oz anyway even in dead calm conditions, so I use rods capable of throwing at least 8,,,I am getting ready to purchase a new 12' rod capable of throwing 10oz and maybe more,,,I need a new rod in my line up, I just hope my wife understands :) .

Mine are only rated 1-6, but you'll find me slinging 10 out if the conditions require it......

Steve, For big cow hunting, I am throwing 6 oz anyway even in dead calm conditions, so I use rods capable of throwing at least 8,,,I am getting ready to purchase a new 12' rod capable of throwing 10oz and maybe more,,,I need a new rod in my line up, I just hope my wife understands :) .

Scott, no more rods... I can't afford to keep up with you!

The thing is, like above, the entire package is well more than 10 oz. The rod rating is for the whole package, rig, weight, bait, etc. When you try to chuck 14 oz out there with a M or MH rod (4-8) you're not getting the distance you could with a rod rated for the package. My current rods are rated for up to 6 oz so I'm not getting out as far as Scott is. Believe me, I tried!!

The rod just has too much bend in it.

In an ideal world, you would have a rod for every weight combo, 4-6 and 8+.

Maybe I'll wait for my first trip east and see the Ticas that Harbor has.

I know I'm not going to spend more than $120 each though, I'd rather put that into reels.

It's hard to actually put my hands on surf stuff being so far from the shore, they just don't stock much of it.

WOW - I've been in very calm conditions i guess so far - i've been able to hold bottom with 4-5 onces (plus bait) on my first times out - maybe that's why I haven't caught a striper in the surf yet (not enough moving water).

As to the "always needing 1 more rod" syndrome - It brings to mind the saying I heard once - "My greatest fear is that when I die, my wife will sell all my fishing equipment ...for what i TOLD her I paid for it!"

No way!

I'm taking mine with me to the grave!

Hehe, Sam can take mine and I'll take Coop's

hahahaha

A couple times yaking out Charky bait I have used a brick, Sam has too.

But man, talk about hard to wind in without a fish on.....

I don't own any lead surf weights more than an eight.

Got some big bank sinkers though...

Ok - i eat my words ..guess that was because last year i mostly fished the summer in nice weather- Saturday in the OC surf, I couldn't hold bottom with 6 ounces and gave up. WOw was it cold too!

Well I've decided instead of just the longer rod, I'll be getting a new reel too. I really like the baitrunner 3500B I have....So will the 4500B do ok with Mono?? Thinking of pairing that with a sealine X (or the new SA) i think they're the same?) 11ft Heavy action (rated for -4-7 ounces) rod. Or do I have to go all the way to the 6500? Want to keep the combo <$200....