67 posts in this topic

Hey All... my spring break is right around the corner.. and instead of heading to Cancun, Mexico I want to head to my parents beach house in Bethany, Beach. I haven't been to the Delaware coast for almost 2 years now. I want to bring some friends up to share with them the surf fishing that I love and miss so much. I'm just not sure that the coast is producing anything right now? We're willing to leave this 70 weather in North Carolina to brave the elements in Delaware. So, if anyone has any advice on tackle, times or locations.. just give me a shout! Thank you much.

sean cummings

:) Welcome aboard Sean!,,first off let me start by saying, "WHADYA CRAZY?, Spring break, forget the rods and head to Cancun",,,sorry, just remebering when I was in college on spring break :D ,,,fun in the sun!,,,alright, back to your question, in march, you can catch some stripers and are generally small but it's still possible to catch a bigger one, just the odds are not in your favor during that month,,,I think your odds maybe better at the inlets for larger stripers,,,as far as tackle, will you be throwing bait or artificials?,,,I personally know very little about lure tossing and am pretty much a lead and bait thrower,,,if you plan on throwing bait, a reel with 15lb+ test on rod capable of throwing up too 8 ozs,,,you can easily get away with a rod that throws less as long as surf conditions warrant it,,,if the small ones are around, I would recommend 6/0 circles and larger circles if you want to target bigger stripers,,,bait, first, I would use fresh bunker, if thats not available, bunker that was frozen when fairly fresh and if either of those are unavailable, chowder clams, which are generally very easy to get,,,all three work good, but I like using bunker first,,,if you have any other questions, just feel free to post,,,good luck.

Hey...right now there are a few "short" stripers in the surf. There might be some more stuff biting toward the end of the month. What days are you going to be down? I was thinking about coming down thsi month sence we have had some good weather...let me know and KIT with me and maby if im down we can get together to wet some lines.....if u havnt figured out this is a GREAT board and the guys are real nice and helpfull!....hope to hear back from you!

COOP!? HAHA! Why go to Mexico when it comes in a bottle my friend. Plus a trip to Delaware is within my budget... and if you've been to college.. your middle name is 'budget'.Anyways... I've never been surf fishing this time of year... i used to head down a lot when the blues are running. And i typically use an 8oz lead and bait, never had any luck with artificial lures. If all goes as planned, i'll be heading north at the end of the week.. maybe early next week. Hear of any hot spots Coop? I've never been to any of the outlets since i've always had good luck catching blues on Fenwick.... Hopefully all goes well and i'll be in the surf in no time.. thank all for your prompt reply!!

sean

Sean, that time of year you never know where they might be at, but you may try some areas right in bethaney or drive south down to assataugue island,,,I have heard just south or north of indian river inlet can also be good,,,you just need to find a cut in the bar or a large hole and wet a line somewhere on the beach,,,you really never know for sure where those fish are at,,,just gotta find some good structure, so spend a little time to find that spot, you never know, you may be rewarded with a fish or two.

hey Coop.. i really appreciate the advice... thanks for your help. say, do you and the guys on here have a shop? or are you just fishing guru's? maybe you woudn't mind getting together with a fishing amateur? thanks again man

sean

OK heading out Thur. around 8 am anyone free come on out and join me on the beach I'll report back later that nite with a realy big fish story about the one that got awy.....:)

Hey Dave, I am getting jealous. I really need to get out there. I'm booked up all morning (I was trying hard to squeeze in a few hours for fishin) and for the rest of the week and I'm not sure how this weekend is going to turn out either. I might give Sat or Sun a shot if I can find some bait.

Looking forward to seeing ya again!

Sean- I am a newbie to this forum but, I do post on many others. Like Coop said, your odds of catching a bigger striper will probably be greater @ <acronym title="Indian River Inlet">IRI</acronym> that early in the season. I am just now in the process of cleaning up my gear and doing some consolidating. Better having a couple tackle boxes for different places than just one big one with everything in it. The littler the tacklebox, the bigger the cooler! :)

John DMS# 2255 AKA "Ringo"

beer_361.gif.3717bf10ed6a658d3b984aa052c

Hi John! Nice to see you on the board. :glasses1:

Don't be a stranger.

Hit the beach today for about 6 1/2 hr. the wind was blowing steady from the south all day but the surf wasn't to bad hooked into 3 rock 19,21 and 23. give it another week or so and the big ones should be running..atless this time out I didn't have to pull out any rangers..had the hole beach to myself, feels strange with no one else around just the wind and a lite haze up and down the beach made for an errie day till the sun broke out later on....thur out the day just down from me there were birds swiming and diving and when they got near to where I was fishing I got the last hit of the day..

03_09_06_8_178.jpg.5ee747e1d6cb8de5fec23

03_09_06_9_301.jpg.44f31d7c78e0ae8a681fa

03_09_06_6_130.jpg.2fbf74ae8507e15edbce1

Sweet! Nice Job, Dave. I'm heading down this weekend. Can't wait. I hear there is fresh bait around too!

:D excellent catching dave!,,,I am going to try to get out for a dawn patrol session saturday if the winds switch and die down,,,your report really makes me want to get out there,,,Can't wait to get my darn winter projects done.

makes me want to change my plans this weekend and head out to the beach for some action instead of heading to the james for catfish action......

yes bunker Harbor tackle has some in freash and frozzen....

Hit the surf for afew hours today wind blowing stronger then yesterday no hits maybe the week end will be better....

Hey all,

New to the board. Got the site from a very nice lady at the bait store. Fished Assateague Sat. morning from about 9AM to about 1 PM. I was using fresh Bunker and some finger mullet. Not a bite. I guess I haven't put my time in this year yet to expect much YET.

Welcome to the board rodinsthinker. :welcome:

It will take time, but if you have the right equipment, the right bait and the right amount of time to put in, you'll do well. :v:

Rodinsthinker, glad to have ya on board :D ,,,it's still early, give it a few more weeks and things should start happening. Just keep soaking the bait.

Sam and Coop,

Thanks for the welcome. I actually did pretty well last year. I think I just hit it too early this year in my zeal to get a line wet!!!

Sam and Coop,

Thanks for the welcome. I actually did pretty well last year. I think I just hit it too early this year in my zeal to get a line wet!!!

Hahah... I can understand that! :lol:

Howdy Rodinsthinker!

Glad to have ya here with us!

Just start putting in your time now so when the cows come you'll be there!

Better than being out in the traffic anyway and far better than going to work!

whats up gang i fished all day saturday form 630 am til 6 pm tons of doggies had a blast fishing is fishing in my book.

i was on AI i am sure some of yall saw me i was pretty much the only camper on the beach {red truck lance camper} i think i saw sam a few hundredd feet s of me saturday. well it was fun and the family had a great weeeknd down there....

Hey man, I don't think it was me? I don't remember seeing anyone anywhere near us? Must have been some other really good looking guy. :-)