19 posts in this topic

Hey guys...my names nate and im kinda new to surf fishing...ive grew up fishing the back bay and inlets in a boat and recently got into surf fishing on a trip to NC. I was hoping to get down sometime in march or april and maby getting together with someone on here and learning a few tricks to fishing around OC MD... just post back on here if anyone would be interested in helping me out a bit! thanks guys!

Hi Nate! I would love to help ya out. I'm always ready to go fishing and help someone learn how to fish (notice I say fish and not catch) :mrgreen:

I am thinking about getting a few of us (from this board) together sometime in April and do some serious Striper fishing on Assateague. I'll keep you informed. In the meantime, read, ask questions and get up to date on techniques, gear and baits.

yeah man that would be awsome...id love to go with ya...like i said...ive tried it down in NC and LOVED IT. What kind of equipment would i need? i have 2 50 size spinning reels with 200 yards of 50lbs braid...and one baitcaster with about the same. The one reel is on an eightfoot rod and im looking at getting another rod for my other spinning and casting reels. Are they big enough? im not looking at catching sharks or anything...i just want to catch some stripers and blues mosly.

I guess the best thing to do is bring what ya got. If you could take some pics of your gear and post em on here, that could help. When I first started, I bought some cheap junk that eventually failed at the most inconvenient time. So, you will need something that can stand up to not only salt water, but also sand. Call Bev at Harbor Tackle or stop by next time you're down and she and Terry will set ya up with what you need.

I'm sure there are guys on here who will give you advice :smartass: and you might find some decent stuff on E-bay or other places.

Personally, I am looking for two decent smaller rods for kingfish and croakers. Maybe I can learn something here too! :kid:

yeah all my stuff i have now is quantum, okuma, abu, and 2 of my rods are ugly sticks..the 8 foot setup i have i did good catching reds down in nags head with this fall so im not touching that setup...i just want another 9-11 foot for my other spinning reel and something smaller for my casting reel...any ideas on a casting surf rod? i havnt seen many?

Hey Nate, welcome aboard!

You don't have to go out and buy the high dollar stuff. Some surf poles alone are in the $300 plus range. Yeah, that's without the reel.

I've been eyeballing some Ocean Master rods at Bass Pro Shops, they go for 70-90 bucks. A 12 footer should do you just fine. You want one that has a large eye at the bottom so the line coming off the reel doesn't slow down trying to get through a small eye.

Most of all, you want a reel matched to the pole, meaning not too small. A Penn 7500 (or something the same size) on a 12' rod balances nicely and will give you the reach and line you'll need. You don't want to go real cheap, the cheap stuff doesn't last.

For maybe $150 - $200 you can have a nice setup that will last years.

Braid works fine during the day in the summer and anytime in the spring and fall. We have had a "few" cut braid lines on summer nights from Sharks swimming into it.

Get some 1/0 or 2/0 barrel and #1 snap swivels, pyramid weights from 4 oz to 8 oz, 7/0, 10/0 and 12/0 circle hooks, a spool of 80# for leader.

That should 'bout cover it.

Hi Nate, welcome to the site,,,do you plan on throwing bait or lures? If throwing bait, I would recomend a reel that could hold 250yds+ of 15lb+ of line and a rod from 10'-12' that is capable of throwing up too 8 oz's,,,I would think 200yds is definitely enough when using 50lb test, especially if you are using 50lb test,,,if your reel can handle it, drag tightening with 50lb line can compensate for the lack of line on your reel if necessary,,,there are plenty of good economy rods out there for casting - tica, tsunami, and ocean master,,,these brands make variuos sizes that may interest you and are readily available,,,average cost is around $80,,,this site has the nicest people around, so feel free to ask any questions on this site,,,good luck and hope to see you out on the beach this spring.

Scott

Hey thanks for all of the help guys...i think im goin to stay with the reels i have now cuz they hold a decent amount of line for what i want... ( striper, blues ) im just going to look for 2 new rods for my other spin and casting reels...all with 50lbs braid. if i go fishing at night i will more then likely put a LONG leader of like 60-80lbs leader so hopefully breakoffs wont be a problem...id love to get together with some of you guys sometime and try and learn some new shit

Hi and welcome to our home. I would be glad to meet with you and share some techniques as well as bait, lures, knots, rigging, etc. The only problem is that I don't get out there too often. I'll be out there when the water breaks and the fishing picks up. Do you have a 4X4? I don't but it doesn't matter, there is plenty of 2wd access.

Just give a holler when you'll be heading to AI, I'm SURE at least one of us will be soaking dead fish in the drink.

Do you have a 4x4?

hit me up...I'm always game for a fishing trip. Great stuff. I am not strictly a Surf/Saltwater guy though, I hit Smallmouth on the shenandoah, potomac and rappahannock, Catfish on the James, Lake Anna for Stripers and Largemouth, Shenandoah Valley streams for trout etc. Anyone close by interested in any of these can let me know and I'll keep you in mind when I'm headed out.

Hi Nate anytime yur coming down let me know allways like to hook up with someone and hit the beach..

David

Hey if any of you guys would like to talk other than on here my AIM name is Rockboy818...Thanks for all the replys...this forum is great! ill def keep you guys in mind when im trying to come down cuz i dont like to fish alone which i do most of the time!

Nate - fellow newbie to the surf here (just started last year). I'm also a fellow PA resident, although eastern PA. My family has a place in OC, so I get down whenever I can and mostly fish out the back door. Would love to try AI sometime, but i don't have a clue where to go and don't have a 4X4. My AIM is trowpa (just like my user name here).

I also end up fishing alone most of the time (wife is not into fishing and the kids are too young yet). Always up for some company.

Hello Trowpa!

Welcome to the site.

You'll find plenty of helpful; folks here so ask anything ya want.

AI is just like OC, it's the same ocean, same techniques and fish.

Just look for the rips, cuts, etc.

For AI, drive down into the Federal park as far as you can go, down to South Ocean Beach.

You can park a car in the lot and walk over the dune.

The wife can kick back and the kids can do the kid thing.

Let us know when you are down and you could hitch a ride down the sand with one of us.

Thanks for the warm welcome Steve. I will actually be down this weekend (don't expect much other than to dust off the equipment and maybe get a dogfish or two on the line). Will be back down again in april for a more serious attempt- possibly the weekend of April 22nd. Once I know the dates for sure, I'll post my plans in case I can take you up on that offer of a ride.

South ocean beach is my first fishing spot on Assateague Island. Caught a ton of fish. Good luck! Maybe we'll see ya on April 21. That is where we will be having our first Annual Delmarva Fishing dot com striper shindig. :-)

Welcome to the forum trowpa,,,tho early in the season, you never know,,,stripers have been caught in the end of March off the surf.

trowpa :welcome: I run down from Pa too. Good luck this weekend.