13 posts in this topic

I'm new to the site, great site. I have been fishing for sharks for about 10 years from the maryland and delaware beaches and have landed my fair share in the 4 to 6 foot range. Since reading lots about the guys in Texas using kayaks in the gulf has really made me interested in trying it but I wasn't sure what gear I needed. Then I found this site and people that are just as shark crazy as me, thanks I thought I was alone. So for my first question for is now what kind of yak do I get? My wife is going to love this because she doesn't think I have enough toys now.

While I haven't used my yak for sharking yet! I would suggest a sturdy sit on top anywhere from 10-14ft. Look for a place behind your seat to secure a load. I have used multiple kayaks for back country camping and have always found the sit on top to be more versitle and fun in the surf. I have a 14' Perception sit on top that has a front hatch and a open rear area for storage! It's great because the added length helps me cruise at a nice pace! My buddy has an 11' Cobra and has trouble keeping up! Although his is more agile in the surf. Will you use the Yak for anything else??? Take other uses into consideration.

If you haven't already, you might want to check out a post by chomper in KAYAKING TALK.(good read about kayaks) Good stuff :D Daveh

I guess what I'm hearing is that a shorter yak would be the way to go if I was just going to use it in the surf to take baits out?

Short yaks are quick in the surf, turn and paddle sharp and that's what you need in the breakers.

There are three types, Flat, round and V-hull. A combo between round and V is about the best for the surf.

If ya see anyone with a yak at the shore, ask if you can give it a try. It's not like they'll break easy.

If you run into me you are welcome to try mine. Mine and Coop's are about the same, Sam's is shorter and more agile.

Just remember, no matter what you are in, those waves can sneak up on ya and if you put in the time, you're gonna get dunked.

one word of advice to anyone yaking baits out,,,when it's big and gnarly, don't hesitate, time it, then just charge it!,,,if you have a large breaker in front of you, you have three choices, 1. bail, 2. try to tun her 180* but end only getting around 90* and get hit on the side and go down anyway, so you should of just should of done option 1 or 3. CHARGE IT!,,,believe it or not, you will more than likely make it over without much of a problem,,,during the summer, big surf rarely occurs, although last summer there were some big days out there.

I am no expert on yaks and pretty much bought mine on a whim,,,I got sick and tired of paddling baits out on my surfboard,,,it really got exhausting,,,so I said the heck with this, I am getting a yak,,,talk to Sam first and I ended up getting a 12' from survival products,,,I like it, tho I wish the seating area wasn't so deep,,,if you ever want to try mine out just give me a pm,,,I am sure others here would be more than happy to share there yaks with you so you can decide what size and shape is best for you,,,I really wish I could of tried several out in the surf and reseached it more but like I said, bought it on a whim.

My next one is gonna be a short one.

Even though shorter is slower, I want the agility and ability to turn fast and not get smacked on the side.

I think this one is 11 1/2.

Yeah Coop, there were some narly ones last year, fo sur!

(ouch!)

Thanks for all the advice guys. I hope to me meet everyone some day and thank them in person. I will keep you posted on what yak I buy.

Mine is a higher seated, almost like a humongous surf board. I can really get out there and boogy with it. Plus, it is easy to climb aboard after getting dumped. :x

kayak_surfin_136.jpg.4bbacfc2485d384e7f1

8_14_05_sam_on_kayak_ix_130.jpg.98b71d0f

Man, that's awesome!

I was down at OC this weekend and on the way home to PA stopped at the LLBeam outlet store to look at kayaks. There were 2 that interested me. Both were Ocean Kayaks, one was a malibou 2 for the other was a scrambler. Any thoughts on either one?