10 posts in this topic

Hit the beach Yesterday from about 2:00 p.m. through 2:00 Today(Saturday).

The weather was ominous and got a little nasty....but as soon as we found our hole, about 4 miles from the access point, it was Dogfish after dogfish, and skate after skate. Actually, the first fish caught got off in the wash, but looked like a short striper. We couldn't get more than two rods out each until about midnight!!This action went on until I crashed about 3:00 a.m. Saturday. All the doggies were about 2.5' to 4' long, on bunker. I had two rods out with clam and bloodworm bait....but not a nibble from any drum. The interesting thing to me was that I had three breakoffs on huge bunker heads, where the 55 pound line connected to the hook was bitten in half. I'm wondering what that was. It happened to my buddy as well......could it have been a big bluefish....I thought it was too early for sharks. Anyway, they pulled hard for about 20 seconds...then snap. I checked, and it wasn't my knot letting go!!

Got back up aroujnd 6:00 a.m. and fished hard til I left at 2:00 today...It was overcast and "fishy".....but no more fish other than a big skate. Probobally should have found another spot...but too lazy and tired.

Had a picture of the biggest doggie...but the file is too big....so I can't post it.

Be back in two weeks!!

Mark

Great report. Open the picture in microsoft paint and use the stretch/skew option to shrink it. just put in 50% and then post it. I'll make adjustments if need be.

The biggest "fish" of the day. Needed some gamefish however.

IMG_0422.JPG.0ada3c1331bfdcdc8ab3d1b2a72

That is one hungry looking doggie!

thanks for the intel on the big blues, have to send out my bunkah on wire again, stripers don't seem to mind.

so you think it was big blues?? Thats what i was thinkin. The stripers don't mind wire?? I would have tied some up if I knew that.

In Jan I twisted up some 8 inch wire leaders with my 200 lb shark wire because that's all I had. I didn't want to lose the only fish of the day.

Caught this one on a 8/0 gami and 8" wire leader Fish Finder setup. I also had flouro leaders out incase they were leader shy but got the hit on the wire.

I think after a minute or two it's all in the sand hidden anyway. The big problem with the wire may be dropping the bait once they feel the wire, with those gamis I think it's hard for them to spit it without it cathing something on the way out. I wouldn't do it with a true circle hook since you need them to swallow the bait or run a little.

I'm going to pick up some lighter wire today actually. First bite-off I'll switch the bunker rods up.

DSCF0033.jpg.6eaa5ab1dd792c2c00a4d824697

Thanks for the info. When you say "gami" hooks...Iwhat kind of hooks are u talkin 'bout? I always thought you were talkin about Gamakatsu hooks.

As I read more reports...there are definately some chompers in the surf!! I should have wired up myself.

gami=gamakatsu

I prefer 8/0 or bigger octopus 4x are the heavier ones and those are the ones I get. Harbor Tackle has a bunch I believe. The ocotpus aren't true circles so they are more likely to grab something on the way out, they are also more likely to gut hook but by only about 5%. I started using Gami big eye circles for bigger fish hopefully but everything I've caught in the surf to this point has been on an 8/0 4x ocotpus.