5 posts in this topic

Here is my secret ribs recipe...

Barbecued Baby Back Ribs

The following is for 2 Baby Rack Ribs (I tripled this to make 6 racks)

" Make Dry Spice Rub:

o 1 ½ Tablespoons Paprika

o 1 ½ teaspoons Chili Powder

o 1 ¾ Teaspoons Cumin

o 1 ½ teaspoons Dark Brown Sugar

o 1 ½ teaspoons Kosher Salt

o ¾ teaspoon Dried oregano

o ¾ teaspoon ground black pepper

o 1 teaspoon ground white pepper

o ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper

" Rub the ribs with oil (back and front), I used olive oil but any oil will do

" Cover ribs with the spice rub (back and front) and I mean cover every square inch with as much spice rub as you can. The oil will help it adhere to the ribs. Pat the rub into the ribs.

" Need roasting pan or very large aluminum foil roasting pan to hold 2 to 3 racks of ribs on a rack 1 to 2 inches above the bottom of the pan. Pour 2 to 3 cans of beer in the bottom of the roasting pan. You want 1 to 2 inches of beer in the bottom of the roasting pan. Cover roasting pan as tight as possible with heavy duty aluminum foil.

" Cook on 275 for 3 hours. This basically steams the ribs to make sure they are very tender.

" 30 minutes prior to taking ribs out of oven, start charcoal grill and soak Hickory wood chunks in water to add to the hot coals to smoke ribs.

" Take Roasting Pan out, uncover and CAREFULLY remove ribs to a large sheet of aluminum foil. When I say carefully it is because the ribs will already be very tender and may break apart.

" Slather the ribs in more spice rub and bring out to grill.

" Pile charcoal onto one side of the grill and place hickory wood chunks directly on top of coals…the more chunks, the more smoke.

" Place the ribs on the grill on the opposite side of where the coals are…..(Remember at this point the ribs are basically cooked, you don't want direct heat under the ribs at this point, you want to smoke them.

" Cover grill and smoke for 1 hour. The ribs will absorb the hickory wood smoke flavor……and will get a nice smoky caramelized exterior.

" After 1 hour, CARFULLY remove ribs off the grill and pile onto a platter. Serve with your favorite BBQ Sauce…I like the Hot Bone Sucking Sauce…..

Trying this today! I'll let you know how they turn out!

Come on Sam!!!!

Tell us!!!

How were they?

I'll try it next time too, I love baby backs.

Very good! I took my time cooking them (about 5 hours all together) and they were excellent. I'm going to use a different wood for the smoking next time, as Skylar suggested maybe a peach or an apple instead of mesquite.

We are going to give it another go tonight and mix it up a bit. :)