95 posts in this topic

hit the beach around 9 this morning... skates skates and more skates with two run offs that I can only assume were stripers due to how hard they hit. beautiful day out. and some one took the sign.

Philip and I just got back from a Road-Trip to Southern Maryland (passing out free Thumbdingers):happy7:

we stopped in at Solomons Island, Chesapeake Beach and Sandy Pt and we saw a good bit of fish caught from the middle bay south.

we did talked to alot of Captains and most had there limit by 1pm, trolling the edges:glasses2:

We fished on the bay again today with 5 aboard the Late Start one of our crew members was snoozing when we took the photos. We did well again and limited out. I hope Assateague is productive tomorrow. Sam the pic was a duplicate from yesterdays fishing. All of the fish were under the 35" limit but over the 28 inch limit.

5852a507285d4_fishingtrip4_22.jpg.2bdce6

Very nice! Perfect eating size. :)

Great job.

Fished today from the beach for about 12 hours and caught SQUAT and skates. Threw alot of clam in hopes for a black. At least the clam kept most of the skates off the end of my hook.

My pop and my Uncle didn't want to do the all day beach trip and decided to hit the inlet for a bit and caught some shad. They made a wise choice unless you like catching skate.

Nice fishing with Jim. You didn't miss anything after you left...more of the same, SQUAT!

Fished AI 4/23. About 2 doz. skates caught on bunker and a good sized smoothy.

We went to the beach about 10:30 the road was closed, went back at 12:30 still closed. What time did you get back on the road? I don't understand why they did not do 1/2 of the road today and 1/2 of the road tomorrow? Makes sense to me....... Or is it I just don't understand that logic????

Hit the beach for a couple of hours after work...couple of skates was hoping to stay till sundown but it was blowing something fierce was holding with tens but I was hunkered down in the truck. oh well might hit the point at Henlopen State park tonight.

Hit AI today with Javier, got there around 3pm stayed till midnight, man I must have hit the skate capital of delmarva today, 15 skate one weighing around 10 pounds. I also managed 4 dogfish, the smallest being 32 inches the biggest was 38 inches and put up a nice fight. took pictures , will post tomorrow. Javier caught a small dogfish and skate early on then nothing till he reeled hi rod in for the last of the day, another small skate. but beautiful on the beach besides being a little chilly with the easterly wind. water temps were 53 degrees with an outside air temp of 59.

At least you got some pullage and a little fight with some doggies. Water temps 53, huh? Man... They gotta be around here somewhere...

I think ALL you Skate Champs need to start "tagging" them, maybe you all are catching the same one over and over and over again:icon_scratch:

I think ALL you Skate Champs need to start "tagging" them, maybe you all are catching the same one over and over and over again:icon_scratch:

lol, all skates caught were various sizes, some were light tan while others were tan with white lines, the doggies had white circle spots on them. will post pics shortly.

ok, well this raises a question then (remember, Im new to surf fishing):happy8:

Skates are primarily bottom feeders, right:eusa_shifty: so maybe you all's baits are to close to the bottom:icon_scratch:

From the beach today, 1 short and quite a few big dogs.

From the beach today, 1 short and quite a few big dogs.

Spiny or Smoothies?

Reason I ask is aren't smoothies usually in the warmer water and thus a good sign the water is warming up.

Reason I ask is aren't smoothies usually in the warmer water and thus a good sign the water is warming up.

Yup!

I don't make enough money to tag every skate I catch! I don't think anyone here does!

Spiny or Smoothies?

smoothies

Making the trek down from Hampstead, MD tomorrow. Water temp looks good....where be the fish??I'll be out on the beach Friday midday, lowtide, huntin' for holes, through Saturday afternoon / eve. If any of you see a silver '01 Toyota Tundra w/ a matching cap, stop by and say hi!

Bringing a buddy and his wife (weather permitting), for her first surf fishin experience.

Mark

Well I fished Sandy "no fish" Point on Wednesday. Beautiful day with light wind and sun. Got the Big skunk. Fished with bloods and artificials. never saw a fish landed the whole morning. Hopefully next time

Jeff

Making the trek down from Hampstead, MD tomorrow. Water temp looks good....where be the fish??I'll be out on the beach Friday midday, lowtide, huntin' for holes, through Saturday afternoon / eve. If any of you see a silver '01 Toyota Tundra w/ a matching cap, stop by and say hi!

Bringing a buddy and his wife (weather permitting), for her first surf fishin experience.

Mark

Stripers seem to be null and void but that will change very shortly...Make sure you toss out a rod ot two with clam, crab (you can use fishbites), or sand fleas. Black drum are starting to show up and should increase in numbers in a week and then will start tailing off quickly. It seems to be about a 2 or 3 week window (end of a April and beginning of May) of catching these fish and somewhere in the middle they can be plentiful. Talked to a guy who caught one a couple days ago. Very fun to catch and strong as an ox. I treid hard with 3 rods with clam yesterday and got zipp. I think you would here alot more caught, but most people are chucking bunker...blacks will not eat.

Good luck and catchem up!

Coop.....No Skates? BTW my doggie was smooth as well.

Black drum are starting to show up and should increase in numbers in a week and then will start tailing off quickly. It seems to be about a 2 or 3 week window (end of a April and beginning of May) of catching these fish and somewhere in the middle they can be plentiful.

Coop - Unless I can squeeze out another quick run, i may not get down until May 9th -14th (extended spring fling trip!)- so is it your guess than that the Black drum will have arrived and be on their way out by May 9?? I'd sure like to hit it when they're around......keep your finger on the pulse and keep us posted!

MQ, not one skate, all big doggies...not sure which one is more of pain...the first doggie fooled me and thought I had a black until I started cranking the reel. Those blacks will fight tooth and nail once you start reeling them in.

Steve, I am new at this black drum fishing but it seems like in the past 2 years, the bite peaks around the beginning of May and tails off, but who knows for sure. One was caught a couple weeks ago, which I was amazed considering water temps were still pretty cool. I would think during the fling, some would be around. One good thing about the fling date is that the HOG stripers should be here.

Yesterday was the first day really trying for them, figuring my odds are far better right now for blacks then stripers. I pretty much set up 3/4 of my arsenal for them Wednesday.

Coop,

Other than using clam for bait, what other things did you change in your setup for black drum? Smaller hooks? Casting distance?