21 posts in this topic

Just got a report of some nice Taylor Blues around OV this afternoon on Metal and Storms.

Got off work early, got gear in car and headed out now to see!

Report back later with results.......................................:cya: Later!

Sweet! Keep swimming north!!!:evil6:

Just got a report of some nice Taylor Blues around OV this afternoon on Metal and Storms.

Got off work early, got gear in car and headed out now to see!

Report back later with results.......................................:cya: Later!

best of luck and like Sam said, send 'em north:glasses1:

AKA...Dixie & Bucket hit the Spit tonight at OV, due to a report from new board member Dickyboy77 about some Blues invading the spit.

I arrived at 5:30pm sharp and Bucket had already scored 2 2-3# Taylor Blues, lost one and got bit off. I immediatelyt tied on a 1 oz crippled herring and winged it out. No less than 3 seconds after hitting the water BAM! FISH ON the new Rainshadow trout rod. Wooo Son what a fight on ultralight tackle!!!:blob1: :blob1: . Got up close to the rocks and spit it out.....Homer Simpson DOH! Then from 5:35pm-6pm scattered 2-3# Blues with an occasional 1 pounder. FUN FUN FUN FUN!:icon_pray: .

At around 6pm all hell breaks loose. Just toss some metal out and you got more Emeril than you can stand to hear BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM! You get the picture????:blob8: :blob8: :blob8: Woooooo Son we are on fire! Every cast produced a nice fish, break off or a hit. Bucket and I limited out in no time as did the others. A few still were not tossing metal, so I lent them some, and as soon as they casted BAM fish on!

Man was this a blast for about an hour, then it started slowing down as the sun set. A buddy showed up with his 2 year old son and I immediately hooked up and let him reel it in. That made my night seeing a 2 year old kid land a 2-3# Blue on a trout rod. Shortly after landing the one I got him into another one (By the way his dad was still skunked!!) and what a smile on his face....priceless.

Anyway The Blues arrived a bit early and I'm sure the trout were staying away tonight, but man was it fun tonight. The past 3 years Bucket and I have been lucky enough to get into a Blue Blitz and enjoy it and tonight was the best in those 3 years.

Hope they head North to you guys soon!

Here's pics....Looks like one Blue upchucked some Boston Mack into my cooler which is odd for the Bay.

Nothing left to do, but Smile Smile smile:happy7: :happy7: :happy7: :happy7: :happy7:

100_1603.jpg.f5de044cd495be21c7f22db3b72

100_1606.jpg.0d2e0ef42b6c1f94ce025182180

Great job and awesome night of fishing! I just missed the blues blitzing the beach last April. Hope to get them this year. :)

Thanks for the report and pics.

Sounds like a good time! And nice title: "Jake & Elwood" (I play in a blues brothers tribute band)

Dixie were the blues still hitting after dark? I plan on giving it a try tom evening but wont get there until around 9:00. Give me a call tom during the day I have a few questions like where can I park down there.

Ken

Ken,

Blues were Hot & Heavy from 6-7pm. As soon as the sun started going down on the horizon, the bite slowed down tremendously.

I'm sure you can pick up the occasional Blue here and there after dark, but you will have to work for it.

For now, park at the end of OV at the bus turnaround (you will see other cars there), then walk down to the Public Access ramp.

Wind don't look too bad right now either...Bout the same as last night and a little less, may have a shot at some trout if the Blues go home a touch earlier tonight.

nice report Dixie, glad to sea you got some pullage:glasses2:

when Blues are a breaking the action can be hot n' heavy:happy7:

now were you guys using all mono, or did you use any wire leaders:icon_scratch:

Sweet. ... I see smoked bluefish snacks in the future.....:clock:

now were you guys using all mono, or did you use any wire leaders:icon_scratch:

Just Mono, I hate using wire as I personally think it hurts the bite a touch. Saw a few using a 8 inch wire leader last night and they didn't hook up nearly as much.

Yeah I get bit off and the line gets nicked up and breaks (3x last nite), but overall it ain't that bad with the Taylor Blues. Last night I was using 8# mono on one rod and 10# on the other. I finally tied on some 15# shock last night after the 3rd time. If I had 20# I would have used that.

... guessin' I'm Elwood ... I can live with that despite being the shorter, fatter, and older one :icon_profileright:

Fried some of dem bluefish in da skillet tonight ~ WOO SON! Daddies girls even were :icon_pray: to the fish gods. I'm a mono guy to for ~ same reasons will go to wire when needed.

Shock knots R us,

`bucket

Same here no wire for me unless they are choppers then it is definately required....unless you are using some of the big plugs then the fish dont get the whole lure in his mouth and mono with a 40-60# shocker is fine.

... guessin' I'm Elwood ... I can live with that despite being the shorter, fatter, and older one :icon_profileright:

Fried some of dem bluefish in da skillet tonight ~ WOO SON! Daddies girls even were :icon_pray: to the fish gods. I'm a mono guy to for ~ same reasons will go to wire when needed.

Shock knots R us,

`bucket

Really:icon_scratch: never been a big fan of Blues:@: got any secreat recipes to share wth-us:happy7:

Really:icon_scratch: never been a big fan of Blues:@: got any secreat recipes to share wth-us:happy7:

my personal fav is to roll in house autry, deep fry, then add a sprinkle of jo

Coat both sides of fillet with mayonnaisse and sprinkle with Old bay. Wrap in foil and then throw it on the grill or in the oven.

Coat both sides of fillet with mayonnaisse and sprinkle with Old bay. Wrap in foil and then throw it on the grill or in the oven.

coat wth mayo??? for real:icon_scratch:

Hmm, you VA guys need to post-up some of your recipes in the "cookin' em up" forum, YUM

Best advice I can give is: either gut or clean the choppers ASAP, you do not want the digestive juices to get into the meat makes for a stronger taste. Next fillet out the dark meat. This can be done after you fillet them turn over the fillet skin side down and two passes of the knife should take the dark meat out (next I will skin them just my preference) then cook following your favorite recipe. I love them cooked on the grill. Also broiled.