62 posts in this topic

:) As the waters begin to cool, some larger fish should start making a showing in the surf towards the end of the month. Sharking has started to slow down but some of the usual suspects (kingfish, croakers, and spot) are still being caught in the surf.

Feel free to post your fishing reports here. Get your feet in the sand and have fun!

Went to AI tonight searching for some kings and whatever else might bite a hook. Caught a few kings and even had one screamer for about 5 seconds on my big Penn. The bugs were pretty bad until dark and then nothing. I was surprised there weren't any mosquitoes. I have missed that place (I haven't been in a few days!) :D

I'm not too sure. Something had ahold of it and it came unbuttoned. I was using spot, so I guess it could have been anything. I would like to think it was an early drum, but probably not. You never know, but that is what makes it fun! :)

Fished early am, 6-10:30 AM today with my brother and nephew and my brother came up with 1 12" flounder, 1 17" blue, and 2 kings. Me and and my nephew caught a whole lot of nothing. Yaked out a couple shark rods and used the blue head that was caught and the other a bunker head. No hits or runs. Was getting pretty windy towards mid morning. Heading out tomorrow to start banging for some drum.

Coop, does time of day matter for Drummers?

Night ok or just day light?

I'm so used to charkin at night I forget that thew sun shines there too.

:lol:

It is going to start picking up soon. Steve, a lot of old timers used to fish for Drum strickly at night. I know they can be caught during the day too, but I plan on fishing at night for em. Plus, thats my favorite time to fish. :)

I am new at this drum fishing thing but I would think day or night. I have heard that the bigger the critters are, the more comfortable they are in the surf zone at night; however, all the stripers I caught, only 2 this spring, were caught during the day. They say cow fishing is better at night. I would think drum would be the same. I logged countless hours at night during the spring for them and very few during the day and the ones I actually caught were during the day,,,go figure. If I had the choice, I would rather fish at night for drum and stripers. It's just something about nighttime fishing. I plan on fishing half the time at night and the other half during the day until the end of October. After that, I plan on fishing mostly at night all the way until new years, water temps pending.

Ya'll sound like me....

I prefer night also.

Like to get a little fire going (see pic above, hehehehe), a few tunes in the air and a cold one in my hand.

Ah, no greenheads or biting black flies either!

When it gets cold I'll have a nice big fire going.

Some say it scares the drum but I dunno' bout that...

Little to no light,,,so I here. I try to abide by that rule but I do occasionally strike up a fire when the weather gets cold.

I remember one night towards the end of December there was a meteor shower and it was a new moon so I decided to head out and fish and drive south on AI island towards the VA line to get away from the lights of oc. It was in the upper 20's and with a stiff 20 mph offshore wind and clear skies. One word,,,awesome! Caught several dogfish but the shower was unbelievable. Stayed most of the night. Meteors looked like they were landing in the ocean on the night horizon. The cold didn't even bother me.

The Hatteras fishermen say that lights reflecting off the water spooks red drum when you fish at night. The Hatteras guys think you should run the beach with parking lights and do not use any bright lights when you are fishing.

Coop, Just fryed up the bluefish I caught this am, excellent snack > almost as good as Ponzetti's pizza. Terry drove us all home. I was bushed, but the fishing was well worth it. Had a great time. Ray.

Blues?

What? Where? Huh?

Ray, Next time you're down, hopefully we will be getting into some of these bad boys.

10.jpg

Fished today or tried to fish today. 10 oz were rolling down the beach,,,After a couple of hours 10 oz were racing down the beach with the change of tide and I called it quits. Managed to catch one skate.

11.jpg

I was really close to coming out this morning. Now, I'm glad I didn't :wink:

Nice picture of the Striper, Scott. I looked up the weather for later this week and I think I need some serious fishing time. I gotta get up from this chair and back to the sand. I'm turning into mush...

Sam, Heading out thurs. My feet should hit the sand before 8:30 am,,,Come on out! The ocean should be better, but I am still a little concerned of the amount of current that may be out there that day. Some big time weather action occurring in the western atlantic (tropical storms). We will have to wait and see but I think 10oz or smaller should hold. I have got to make myself some 12's or even 14's! One thing is for sure, I liked the look of the ocean today, just didn't have enough weight to hold.

Fished today and caught many dogies and skates. I had one screamer and was hoping for a red but after 15 secs, gone. Leader broken,,,shark. It was taking line out in a hurry and was glad to have the excitement, tho short lived.

Fished today and caught many dogies and skates.

Bummer. They sure can keep you busy. I'm headed out tonight. Maybe they will have had enough of your bait for today. :D

Almost forgot,,,As I was driving down the beach, I passed a what appeared to be photo shoot that was going on,,,need I say more :shock:

Almost forgot,,,As I was driving down the beach, I passed a what appeared to be photo shoot that was going on,,,need I say more :shock:

Yes......

Or am I totally missing something obvious?

Fished AI today south of the bull pen, limited out on dog fish, and skates, one nice pan sized blue. It was an awesome day at the beach.

Sandcaster, They were in there thick today,,,Had to use heads to keep at least some of those critters of my lines.

Limited out on dogfish and skates tonight too.

doggy-1.jpg

It was a picture perfect night as far as the environment is concerned. Gentle winds, no moon, stars, fishy looking water. I did get a nice size shark on a live kingfish. I got him inside the bars and he chomped throug the leader. :?

We (dad and I) caught a few kings for the freezer. :D

Went into one of our local b&t to pick up some bunker and heard that a large red was caught in the surf :D .

The first red drum was caught Saturday, September 10, 2005 on Assateague. One of my customers came in and told me that Dave "Critter Gitter" Swenson hooked it. He said the fish was 40 something inches. Congratulations Dave.