6 posts in this topic

Any of you fly fishing folks ever take it to the suds? If so, what do you do to keep your line out of the wash? The basket at your waist technique? Do you work the fly straight in or up the beach from the side? Would a lightweight outfit work ok or would it just ruin the gear? I am thinking of giving it a whirl this summer for some kings or croakers right behind the breakers, while soaking some bait on other rods. I might stray from the purist attitude though and attach a small piece of shrimp or fish to the fly in an attempt to sweeten the deal. :glasses2: Any suggestions?

i use a 9' 9wt w/ a 225gr line, gotta go a bit heavier i dont think it loads the rod properly. i wouldn't go any smaller then 8wt, you never know what you might catch.

i have a william joseph retractable stripping basket. makes a nice back support as well. just be certain your reel is good for the salt. you can get a pflueger trion/president for @ 120 and the teton tioga is in the same ballpark, cheaper on fleabay of course

i tend to work at an angle.

once i get a double haul down i might do better

i even tried the backbay last year wading, didnt get too much time in. the wind picked up as the sun rose. 25mph is too much for me.

Thanks mdram. Sound advice. Second thoughts tell me that I dont wanna ruin my Cortland stuff in the harsh saltwater. I took a look at those reels you spoke of and they look pretty nice. Another question. What kind of line ? Slow sink?

the 225 is a slow, but i think im switching to an intermediate 9wt, wich is 250-275, lol. i dont rate em, i just use em

if your gonna fish higher currents maybe a fast would be better, a 350 is on my mind, teeny has some closeouts............. would also work better for inlets. maybe 2 new lines :), just dont tell my wife!

not sure of a rod, but tfo has some decent stuff for good prices for the salt. i prefer st croix. but i imagine if you wash it down, you will be ok.

ive thought about taking the 5wt, but dont know if its too small or not. maybe someday i'll get the courage