13 posts in this topic

New guy to the forum, I've been lurking for a couple weeks.

Ok ya'll I need some input. Is there any regulation against "deploying" an anchored chum bucket in the surf?

I have never heard of any regs regarding that. You might want to call the park and find out. Make sure you talk to the right person...

I wouldn't do it anywhere NEAR swimmers. How would you get it back? There probably are regs against leaving "unnatural material" in the surf. Good question.

Ask three different Rangers and get their names.

You can also go on their site and ask.

I wouldn't see a problem and I would do it.

Do you plan to yak it out?

I've done it with a canoe in FL and got mixed results, including snagging the line to the float.

Best way to do it is to firsjt know the depth where you want to place it.

Use a grapple anchor attached to a 5 gal bucket of frozen chom (holes in bucket).

Attach the tag end to the float so you can easily retrieve the stuff when you are done.

It's not a bad way to increase your take, just a lot of work, especially if it's rough.

Welcome aboard!,,,I would stay away from chum buckets in the surf due to swimmers,,,maybe at night, but definitely not during the day.

I have asked the same question at AI in Va--where I go alot--I have asked Va marine resource police that were patrolling the beach and US park rangers and US fish and wildlife officers and NO ONE will give you an answer, but then I was also told by a VMR officer that you are not allowed to possess any spiny dogfish. We plan to put out a chum bucket this year and we are also going to post a sign while fishing "Caution Shark Fishing" because it seems that people love to come down to where you are fishing and start swimming right inbetween your lines while there is hundreds of yards of open beach with nobody swimming or fishing----go figure

Putting up a sign that says "caution shark fishing" is akin to a sign that says beware of dog. A person jumped in the yard after seeing the sign, got bit and the home owner lost the court case. It was noted that the home owner KNEW he had a dog that would bite, that's why he had a sign posted. See the relationship to the sharking sign?

I don't fish for shark. I fish for whatever wants to bite a tuna head on a 16/0 hook with a 400 pound steel leader.

Back on the topic, ask the AI Rangers. I'd do it as long as there weren't any swimmers around.

Now, I wouldn't do it in the State Park or the non ORV beach area. I would only do it far enough down in the ORV area to get away from the folks that walk over the dune.

Man... Another touchy subject for me. If I didn't love sharkin so much I would have to say no, no, no... Bringing in sharks via a chum bucket is pretty risky. If someone were to get bit and found out you had a chum bucket anywhere near (within 5 miles) you could get in trouble. I have had guys literally want to fight me on the beach because I was sharkin. He said, "you just wait until someone gets bit. You're gonna get sued!". He was pretty pissed off. I don't want to bring too much attention to our hobby and am seriously thinking about taking it further south this year. I need to do more research on the matter....

Thanks for the great responses guys, good info. I was planning on yaking it out, but for an evening/night incoming tide. Maybe an morning tide too. In SC when I go this year we are going to troll live bait in the yaks during the day out near the chum and see if we can get anything to drag us around. Too crowded on AI to do that during the day I'm assuming. I was thinking of just a bucket, a cinder block and a float, I'd anchor the bucket to the block and let the surf distribute the chum for me, the float is merely for pickup. I actually tried this for stripers this year from a boat in the upper Ches. Instead of having the bucket take chum out for your baitfish only 5 ft deep, I sank the bitch to the bottom where I was actually fishing, much better! You guys ever troll your baits? The surf at AI and OC is much more dangerous then SC, usually we can hookup and make it to shore for the fight...the charks are smaller there too.

I have to say I'm surprised no one posted "yeah, you're fine, let me know and I'll be 300 yards down current"

I know it's a pain in the arse but if you are yaking baits out anyway why not get a little blood in the water out there. Then retrieve that sucker with a 15ft boat hook and get the hell out!

I don't fish for shark. I fish for whatever wants to bite a tuna head on a 16/0 hook with a 400 pound steel leader.

Thats a good one. :lol: Dont know about you fellas, but I am a member of the Land based Marlin and Tuna fishing club.... :up:

Thats a good one. :lol: Dont know about you fellas, but I am a member of the Land based Marlin and Tuna fishing club.... :up:

:sailor:

The best fishing for um, er, larger fish, is at night.

You generally don't have to wait long at all for a screamer to rip off about 200 yards in a flash.

There are LOTS of them out there!

Relatively close in too, like within 20 yards.

As evidenced by lots of cut lines.....

Oh, don't use braid at night.... :x:

Some of us like to put out at least a couple thousand feet to snag a feisty one.

Oh, don't use braid at night.... :x:

And this is why...

st_805.jpg.72e8f936f9b7adf2fee5030780590