19 posts in this topic

Are there any area's that produce flounder on Assateague? I was wondering about the bay side fishing near the old CG station.:eusa_dance:

aeroporto from a boat that is. From shore, I'm not...shore (sorry I couldn't resist).

My wife wants to catch flounder (so do I) and she won't go on a boat again. (Bad striper trip in the Cape May Rips). Is September too late for Stripers on AI. Besides Drum and Bass what could I expect to catch in the surf?

probably won't have any stripes in Sept.

But mid-late Sept is full of action on spot, kings, blues, doggies, skates, giant rays, sandbars, sandtigers and the mighty AI red drum. Even a flatty or two from the surf. My personal favorite time of the "summer" because of the possibility of drum and the mullet are usually running bringing the blues as well.

Your best bet for flounder would be the inlet or 50 bridge, or maybe one of the piers in OC that go into the bay.

in sept, you will find almost everything in the water. Trout, Striper,Blues,Red Drum, Doggies,Skate.

you can catch Flounder in the surf on AI, I caught a 18" one last year at the Sharking Fling we had last summer, there is a pic on here somewhere:icon_scratch:

I was shocked, caught it on a Sabiki Bait rig tipped wth Fishbites Bloodworms:icon_thumright:

I am going to try to target flounder more this year from the surf. I have caught them in Ocean City from the surf before. You won't catch many spiking your rods. Gotta use a long strip of squid or fish and maybe throw a minnow on. I bet those black salties that Harbor Tackle sells will be a great bait as well.

Cast out far and keep moving the bait in. Kinda like plastic worm fishing in freshwater. Those flounder can be right at your feet so keep the bait moving right into the wash.

I think there are plenty to catch in the surf it is just a bit different than most of us fish.

I plan to toss the fly rod while spiking this year, figure I'll get a good bit of flatties that way with a clouser near bottom. They may actually end up being the target species since tossing a fly in the summer at AI will get old quickly.

well, Im not going to get in-to the Fly Fishing but if you guys want too, I'd like to explore the back bay behind AI on down to Newport Bay and as far south as Pirate island and get someone wth Fly rods up in the shallows and target Flounder and Reds.

so Ben, Phil or anyone else wth Fly rods want to try this out, lmk.

I will be in OC for 11 days in August and I had a trip like this set-up wth Roger(MDRAM) last summer but my boat broke down and we never got to go.

if your interested, I could do other long weekends before of after the August date, which is my vacation.

I believe the southern end is untapped as far as a fishery and Im anxious to try it out, are you guys game?

well, Im not going to get in-to the Fly Fishing but if you guys want too, I'd like to explore the back bay behind AI on down to Newport Bay and as far south as Pirate island and get someone wth Fly rods up in the shallows and target Flounder and Reds.

so Ben, Phil or anyone else wth Fly rods want to try this out, lmk.

I will be in OC for 11 days in August and I had a trip like this set-up wth Roger(MDRAM) last summer but my boat broke down and we never got to go.

if your interested, I could do other long weekends before of after the August date, which is my vacation.

I believe the southern end is untapped as far as a fishery and Im anxious to try it out, are you guys game?

any time your ready im all set.

ive got to take my father in laws boat out more this year. 2 years old with less then 10 hours on the engine............... im slackin!

I was hoping to try those gulp shrimp in the surf. Anybody know if "Stinky Beach"

in OC is good for any kind of fishing.