11 posts in this topic

Up here (MD) most go with a FF to swivel to 1-3" flouro leader and giant hook.

Do you all fall into that category or do you go with the cannonball/sandbridge rig? What hooks?

I go with a 9/o owner snelled to 80 lb leader with a snap swivel and 2 beads then Albright that onto my 50 lb shocker and the 80 lb being about a foot and a half and the weight stays in that range also I'll see if I can draw a diagraham and post it.

I go with a 9/o owner snelled to 80 lb leader with a snap swivel and 2 beads then Albright that onto my 50 lb shocker and the 80 lb being about a foot and a half and the weight stays in that range also I'll see if I can draw a diagraham and post it.

That would help a lot.

I pretty much use the same as this, but I tie a 8/0 to 10/0 Owner SSW J hook to 60# - 80# terminal to swivel, then 40#-50# Shock to main running line (15#-17# Test). No Bimini for me, from main to shock, just an albright or 99% knot!

fulldrumrig.jpg.62900a1fa21ceffc11a161a7

Not a big fan of the cannonball. Treid it once on a rod and didnt care for it. Cast nicely tho. Striper, 5" to 6" leader...Drum 2" to 3" leader. Strong onshore winds, I always go to the shortest leader possible.

One other rig I use exclusively for clam..12" 80lb flouro with 4" down from the swivel I tie a dropper loop then use 7/0 gammi and at the end of the leader, I snell a 7/0 gammi. Seems to work very well with clam.

2jan6striper.jpg.4df238b80c113a81058de80

I use the same rig for DRUM,COBIA and my little buddy the CATFISH. Here is my rig for catfish except the mail line for saltwater is 17 pound and not 30. the hook in saltwater is a 8/0 not a 12/0 like it is for Mr Whiskers. these guys from VA will tell ya to remove the FF and use a snap swivel incase that plastic sleeve breaks-

clear.gif

Thanks for the pic, interesting that your leader is that long, thought most would be 3" and under.

THE LEADER ITSELF ( THE RED ONE) IS ONLY 24 INCHES LONG

ah ha, looks much longer wrapped up.

Do you use a similar rig for dem big cats?

CB,

I think that is the one he uses from his boat, not surf!